Travelling to US - Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blujelly, May 31, 2016.

1. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Hi all,

I will be doing some travelling to the USA for 3 weeks come August time.

I'll be going to San Fran, Yosemite, LA, Hollywood, Las Vegas & then New York. Just wondering if anyone can suggest best places to see/ or do? Also maybe some good things that most tourists wouldn't know of, but the general public would know of?

Any advice would be great.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Some of the best things are not in the cities, but outside them.

Let me know if you want a recommendation for a nail salon in NYC. ;)

3. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

If you like Theme Parks, something like Disneyland or Universal Studios in L.A. If you are driving from SF to LA, the Hearst Mansion in San Luis Obispo. It's a beautiful area and you can drive by places like Half Moon Bay and Big Sur. :) I'll admit, Vegas is pretty impressive to see what gambling profits can build, but besides walking the strip, Vegas is not my cup of tea. Maybe Hoover Dam or out in the desert if you can take the heat... maybe not, 110 degrees in the shade, but it's a dry heat, so you'll bake without getting sticky. ;)

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you end up going to Las Vegas, it's worth going a bit out of your way to see the Grand Canyon in person. Pictures and video just don't capture it the way you can seeing it right there in front of you.

5. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I'll be driving from SF to LV (if that's the right abbreviation) We're not gambling people I've done it all before, I'll play a bit but were mostly going for the atmosphere a few shows and what ever falls whilst were there (or any idea's you can suggest :p). Grand Canyon is on the list whilst we're there, has to be done!

How long of a drive would it be from LV > Grand Canyon? Same applies for Hoover Dam

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

In Yosemite, do some hiking in the high country (off of Tioga Pass road). Drive through Tioga Pass and visit Mono Lake. Drive south from Mono Lake and visit Manzanar, one of the Japanese concentration camps from WWII. If you're making it out to LV, check out Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Hoover Dam is close - probably an hour's drive or less. The Grand Canyon is farther, maybe 2-4 hours' drive from Vegas (or 1-3 hours from the dam) depending on which part of it you go to.

8. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I'll have a look at where these are later :)

these sound good ill have to research later when im home :)

Thanks for your help!

9. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Hey there,
    I'm not sure what order you plan on going to the places you listed, but:
    a) The drive along Hwy 1 from SF down to LA is fairly stunning in many places, esp. the points north of Santa Barbara. Interesting places to see and visit include Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel (by the Sea)...the Hearst Castle is along this route in the northernmost part of San Luis Obispo (SLO) county, north of Cambria which is another nice place to visit.

There is a tourist drive/destination in Monterey called "17-mile Drive" or some such that people usually enjoy.

b) Yosemite...I haven't kept up with all the latest info, but my underestanding is that Yosemite gets crazy crowded during the summer...you may also want to consider King's Canyon/Sequoia National Parks, which are a little ways off the beaten path (and thus a little less crowded).

10. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Google or Apple Maps are your answer! Hoover Dam is relatively close. :)

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When you get to NYC, John's on West 44th Street. Amazing pizza and it's in a converted church. Walk around Times Square after. Avoid the Statue of Liberty (takes way too long); try a river cruise leaving from the South Street Seaport. You'll get close to SOL for great pics as well as seeing a lot else. Staten Island Ferry is free and will get you great views and pictures.

Avoid the Empire State Building, go to the Top of the Rock instead.

Museum of Modern Art, Greenwich Village (walking around, eating and live music), Chinatown and Little Italy (very close by). Wo Hops for eats in Chinatown. Cheap and amazing food. If you like beer, McSorley's is a must. Oldest Irish tavern in NYC. It's on East 7th Street.

12. Cwolk macrumors regular

Cwolk

There are some great Apple stores where your going, of course! Definately make it a point to visit the new San Fran Apple Store, and the Apple Stores in Las Vegas and in Caesars Palace arent too bad either. Also, if you like going into expensive stores, visit Caesars Palace in Las Vegas and Rodeo Drive in LA. In New York, you must go to the 5th Avenue Apple Store. If you aren't near there, then the Upper West Side and Grand Central stores are nearly as impressive. Its really an experience visiting the 5th Av. store.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I can give some NYC suggestions. What are you looking to do, what are your interests? Do you have kids with you or not? RDowns offered some good suggestions already.

14. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

How much time will you be spending in/near NYC and will you have a car? If you have 3-4 days I would actually suggest flying in to Newburgh, getting a car and hotel there. You can get train service from Poughkeepsie (not far away) to NYC (comes into Grand Central, BEAUTIFUL place) for the time you spend in NYC but you can also make the couple hour drive North (the Taconic Parkway may be free but I'd avoid it) to see what the rest of New York is all about. If you're much into history, I suggest Saratoga Battlefield (site of the turning point in the Revolutionary War), Fort Ticonderoga and Lake George. The drive North is ~2.5-3 hours but WELL worth it, though I may be biased since I'm in that area.

Someone else alluded to it. The cities are one experience but there's MUCH more. The NYC metro area is ~5% of the entire land area of New York State, the other 95% has some FANTASTIC scenery.

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

How long are you in NY? WTC museum is a must. Avoid the Empire State Building unless you must because it's the Empire State Building. Top of the Rock is cheaper and gets you all the great views. Like others have said, hop on the Staten Island ferry for free and get the pics you want of the Statue of Liberty. Katz's Deli if you want to hit up a place from the movies, if you'd seen When Harry met Sally or you just want a good overpriced sandwich (don't lose the ticket). My vote for great authentic Italian Pizza is Angelo's on W 57th St. ;)

You have the usual touristy things like Central Park and Times square. Plenty of good shows to see as well. All depends on how much time you have. You can get a lot done in a day though with how condensed things are and how good public trans is. Just divide Manhattan in half and hit the lower half one day and the upper half another day. I'd recommend staying in midtown/grand central area.

16. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Vegas isn't just gambling. There are some good shows there. Blue Man Group, Cirque Du Soleil, magic, comedy, theater, etc.

The Guggenheim was pretty good when I was there last, but I think that's gone now.

17. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I'll be visiting Apple stores has to be done haha! Yeah we mostly like will go into these stores, always good to see what it is like

No kids just away for our honeymoon, so well happily do most things! Just want to cover a good amount tourist things make sure we grab what we can.

i believe it is 4 days were there for. Exactly were happy to explore the main cities, but want to maybe go a bit further out for any hidden gems that were not aware of. of course being from across the pond i'd have no idea what hidden gems there are.

thanks for your help, currently researching all the above so we can grab what we can!

18. hallux, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016

hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

@Blujelly What kinds of "hidden gems"? There is a TON of history in my area as well as other things to do, easily able to fill a day trip up to the area (Albany, Saratoga, Lake George). I made some historical suggestions, what kinds of things are you looking to do? Are you interested in baseball? The baseball hall of fame is in Cooperstown, a long day's drive from NYC but do-able if that's of any interest.

Grant Cottage
    Fort Ticonderoga: Historic Attraction | Adirondacks, Lake George ...
    EASY TO GET TO. EASY TO ENJOY | Lake George Area
    Saratoga Springs, NY | Official Website
    Saratoga Spa State Park - Hall of Springs, SPAC, Mineral Springs ...

Are you into horse racing? Saratoga has a track that races 6 days a week (dark Tuesday) during the summer, Travers day (nationally televised race actually) is Aug. 27 and the track and city will be MOBBED all weekend.

There's a state museum in Albany, including a 9/11 exhibit and a Sesame Street exhibit.

And, if you're in the area on a Tuesday, the US waterski show team does a show on the Mohawk river in Scotia, right next to what some would consider a "gem" - Jumpin Jacks Drive-In Inc. - Welcome - Scotia

Then, of course, we have Adirondack park (The Adirondack Park | Official Adirondack Region Website), covering more land area than several of the national parks in the West, combined. Lake George is just inside the Southern perimeter of the park. That's more of an outdoors recreation trip - hiking, kyaking, canoeing, though Lake Placid (site of the 1980 Winter Olympics) is in the park. This is a long day trip though, even from Newburgh.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you have 4 days in NY, you might want to head out to Long Island for a day trip. Go to the beach, eat amazing seafood on the water or head out east to wine country.