travelling with a jailbroken 3gs?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sakic10, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Sakic10 macrumors member

I'm currently on Telus' network in Canada but soon I'm travelling to Mexico, and wondering if there is some jailbreak applications I could take advantage of to make the most of my trip...

I was mainly wondering about calling/texting/roaming, what can I do to make this not cost me a ton, and possibly without having to add an international plan?

Or is this sort of stuff not available?

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If your phone is unlock then get a prepaid sim card in Mexico. If you are looking for some apps to call/sms then you will be using roaming which will definitely cost a lot. There is no trick to this.

3. Sakic10 thread starter macrumors member

okay thanks for the quick reply...

I was just seeing if there were any loopholes i could work around

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You can always put skype on your phone. With the skype out facility you will have cheap calls anywhere that has WIFI access.

I travel a lot and have unlocked phone but still use skype to make international calls over wifi.

5. mds macrumors 6502

Yeah, Skype is good. If you can unlock your phone getting a local sim is a really good way to go too.

6. Sakic10 thread starter macrumors member

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly does that do?

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Skype is a internet phone where you can call your friend free if they have skype open on their phone or computer. Note that if you call your friend's cell phone or landline then you will have to pay a small fees which is a lot cheaper than roaming. However; skype requires internet connection therefore if you are roaming with 3G then it will be very expensive. That is why you want to use wifi rather than 3G for internet connection.

8. Sakic10 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry i wasnt clear before. I know what skype is i was asking about the local sim card.

My mistake

9. mds macrumors 6502

If you unlock your phone it allows it to run any local carrier's network. You can buy a new sim card (a card that allows you to connect to a GSM network) and your phone goes from being an international roaming phone (expensive) to a local phone (cheap). I do it all over Europe. I have sims for a few different countries and can make and receive calls really cheap while I travel.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

lol. I didn't expect anyone to not know what local sim card is. Did you think that other countries have no GSM network? :D

11. Sakic10 thread starter macrumors member

Well yeah i knew that just how does that work with my current contract?

Its acts as local?

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

He's saying that instead of using Telus in Mexico, and being charged a ton by roaming ... go and pick up a Mexican SIM card from a Mexican carrier so aren't charged a ton for roaming in Mexico. It won't interfere with your canadian contract.