Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ASPURGE

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
New Magic Lapdesk

Here is a picture of the new Magic Lapdesk. I didn't get time to put the edge on but you can get a good idea of what it looks like and how it will function. It is made of plastic with a dry erase surface and weighs a mere two pounds (without the trackpad and keyboard). The slot allows you to put the trackpad on the left or right side of the keyboard and allows them to but butted together or spread apart, depending on your preference. Let me know what you think.

1223002308.jpg

ASPURGE

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
Magic Lapdesk

Do the keyboard and trackpad snap into it or are they just resting in the recessed part?

There is an extrusion that goes inside the slot that holds the peripherals. It keeps them from shifting around really well, and it's soft so it does not damage the keyboard or trackpad.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
There is an extrusion that goes inside the slot that holds the peripherals. It keeps them from shifting around really well, and it's soft so it does not damage the keyboard or trackpad.

Might want to line that extrusion with thin rubber - or rubber dots strategically placed - to keep things from moving and lessen the chances of scratching even better.

bobhagler

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
Majic Lapdesk - Side by Side

Here is a picture of the new Magic Lapdesk. I didn't get time to put the edge on but you can get a good idea of what it looks like and how it will function. It is made of plastic with a dry erase surface and weighs a mere two pounds (without the trackpad and keyboard). The slot allows you to put the trackpad on the left or right side of the keyboard and allows them to but butted together or spread apart, depending on your preference. Let me know what you think.

1223002308.jpg

I like the new side by side design by Majic Desk....but I did not see it on the web site.

Can someone advise how to obtain this?

Thanks to everyone...this is exactly what I am looking for.

ASPURGE

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
I like the new side by side design by Majic Desk....but I did not see it on the web site.

Can someone advise how to obtain this?

Thanks to everyone...this is exactly what I am looking for.

bobhagler:

This is a prototype I am working on. I hope to get some made this week, but I'm not sure how busy my manufacturer is right now. This is a completely new design and I am refining it right now. I will let you know as soon as they are available.

aspurge

bwcook0

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2011
In for 2 side by sides

Please PM me when these are available, I will buy 2 of the side by sides.

JakeE

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2004
Hi Aspurge,

I am not certain if Aspurge is your name. I checked your website, and I could not find your name?

My name is Jake and I am the Designer of the BulletTrain Express Keyboard Platform for the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad which can be found at http://www.BulletTrain.com

I am confused, because you said:

"I have two models right now and I intend to expand my line soon. The products are much lighter than the wood and aluminum versions, provide several more features and are half the price!"

I have 5 questions for you:

Question 1: You said your products are "much lighter than the wood and aluminum versions." I assume you were referring to my BulletTrain Express when you referred to the "aluminum version." I don't know where you got this information? It is a fact the BulletTrain Express weights 1.45 pounds without the Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad attached. How much does your weigh?

Question 2: You also said your product "provide several more features" I don't see that?

Question 3:
If you carry your product upside down, are the keyboard and trackpad attached securely so they won't fall off your "Magic Lapdesk" and shatter on the floor if it is not carpeted?

Question 4: What kind of material is your Magic Lapdesk made from?

Question 5: What is your name, and just out of curiosity, is that you in the photos on your website with your product on your lap?

You are correct that your product is "half the price" of the BulletTrain Express, but I imagine it boils down to you get what you pay for. The BulletTrain Express is made from a unibody piece of machined aluminum that is also anodized to perfectly match the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad.

Of course the BulletTrain Express stays much truer to the minimalist design aesthetic that Apple is renowned for, and the fit and finish are super precise with tolerances at less than 5/1000th of an inch.

I attached a photo of the BulletTrain Express with a prototype black key cover we are working on that is made out of silicon that protects the keyboard and adds the benefit of black keys.

Many people have been using the BulletTrain Express to perfectly optimize their Mac Mini / Home theater setup, and many people have written in asking if you can use the BulletTrain Express on your lap WITHOUT the MagicTrackpad popping up or being uncomfortable, and the answer is that the BulletTrain Express is EXTREMELY comfortable on your lap. The MagicTrackpad will NEVER pop up, since it is held down in place.

You can find out much more at http://www.BulletTrain.com and Aspurge, I look forward to your answers.

If anybody has an question about the BulletTrain Express I would be happy to answer them here.

Happy New Year Everybody!!!!

Jake

Black-Key-BulletTrain-Express-Keyboard.jpg

Check out http://www.magiclapdesk.com

I'm not in the business of spamming but I have started a company that makes lapdesks specifically for Apple peripherals. I came across this post and thought I would share my products with you all. I have two models right now and I intend to expand my line soon. The products are much lighter than the wood and aluminum versions, provide several more features and are half the price! Send me a message if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them.

Last edited:

ASPURGE

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
Side-by-side Magic Lapdesk

Hey everyone, the side-by-side Magic Lapdesk is now on sale. I know many of you are interested in the new design and I think you will be very satisfied with it.

Untitled-24.jpg

Here is a link to the product page: Side-by-Side Magic Lapdesk

This model also has the dry erase surface (on both sides) as well as the ability to accommodate left and right hand users.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I always enjoy hearing from you.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
I'd also recommend doing a search for "magic connector" on ebay, you'll find a seller who's got basically a piece of aluminum with double sided tape that'll allow you to connect your keyboard to your magic trackpad.

bakerzdosen

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
If anybody has an question about the BulletTrain Express I would be happy to answer them here.

OK, I'll bite.

How far out are you on deliveries? I'm not sure I want to wait a month (for any of the 3 products listed here in this thread) even though I think I like the BT design the best.

Second question: Why didn't you leave a gap between the keyboard and trackpad to alleviate the issue of accidentally hitting the trackpad when using the space bar.

TIA.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
neat to see some innovation in these products, i've thought off and on there needed to be something to do that :)

JakeE

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2004
Hi BakersDozen,

I would address you by your real name but I have no idea what it is? What is your real name?

I sincerely apologize for not responding sooner. We have been overwhelmed by the tremendous demand for our BulletTrain products.

We are still publishing a delivery timeframe of 3-4 weeks. If you don't have the patience to wait a month, I understand, but I can assure you there are many, many, many people who are extremely satisfied they did. Of course, I don't like the fact that people still have to wait 3-4 weeks and I assure you we are doing everything we can to speed things up, but I refuse to compromise on quality and it is not easy setting-up and maintaing a business like this.

On your second question. I did not leave a gap between the keyboard and trackpad because I did not want to make it look ugly or make the BulletTrain Express any larger than it needs to be. I WAS seeking to design a minimalist masterpiece!!! The BulletTrain Express is a miraculous piece of engineering, particularly when you consider the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad where never meant to dance together the way they do.

Also, the lack of a "gap between the keyboard and trackpad" is in no way a culprit. In other words, there is no "issue of accidentally hitting the trackpad when using the space bar." There is a very, very small issue that less than 2% of users have experienced where the cursor can randomly jump around the screen. This has nothing to do with using the space bar.

It has to do with the unique geometry of each persons hands, coupled with the cadence of how they type. In other words, if they are a "Thumper" when they type, and they violently hit the keys ten times harder than necessary, it would also cause their palm to bounce unnecessarily up and down. Basically if they very, very lightly or quickly tap the far left or right side of the Magic Trackpad with their palms, it thinks they are trying to execute a "tap to click."

I have been working with Andreas who publishes Better Touch Tool and he is building a feature into his amazing software that turns off "Tap to Click" on the right and left edges of the Magic Trackpad which will perfectly overcome the challenge.

You can read all about the history of this issue on the BulletBlog which you can find at:

http://blog.bullettrain.com

BTW: TUAW.com just wrote a glowing review about the BulletTrain Express and MagicStand where they said "First, the Express Keyboard Platform holds Apple's Bluetooth keyboard and Magic Trackpad in a portable and supremely useful configuration, while the MagicStand for iPad offers multiple viewing angles, durability and good looks."

So I just wanted to point out what you questioned as the lack of a "gap between the keyboard and trackpad" TUAW referred to as a "Supremely Useful Configuration."

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Warmest regards,

Jake

OK, I'll bite.

How far out are you on deliveries? I'm not sure I want to wait a month (for any of the 3 products listed here in this thread) even though I think I like the BT design the best.

Second question: Why didn't you leave a gap between the keyboard and trackpad to alleviate the issue of accidentally hitting the trackpad when using the space bar.

TIA.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I'd also recommend doing a search for "magic connector" on ebay, you'll find a seller who's got basically a piece of aluminum with double sided tape that'll allow you to connect your keyboard to your magic trackpad.

This looks promising, though the whole double sided tape thing seems like it wont work for long... maybe velcro would be better suited :)

bakerzdosen

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Hi BakersDozen,

I would address you by your real name but I have no idea what it is? What is your real name?

I sincerely apologize for not responding sooner. We have been overwhelmed by the tremendous demand for our BulletTrain products.

We are still publishing a delivery timeframe of 3-4 weeks. If you don't have the patience to wait a month, I understand, but I can assure you there are many, many, many people who are extremely satisfied they did. Of course, I don't like the fact that people still have to wait 3-4 weeks and I assure you we are doing everything we can to speed things up, but I refuse to compromise on quality and it is not easy setting-up and maintaing a business like this.

On your second question. I did not leave a gap between the keyboard and trackpad because I did not want to make it look ugly or make the BulletTrain Express any larger than it needs to be. I WAS seeking to design a minimalist masterpiece!!! The BulletTrain Express is a miraculous piece of engineering, particularly when you consider the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad where never meant to dance together the way they do.

Also, the lack of a "gap between the keyboard and trackpad" is in no way a culprit. In other words, there is no "issue of accidentally hitting the trackpad when using the space bar." There is a very, very small issue that less than 2% of users have experienced where the cursor can randomly jump around the screen. This has nothing to do with using the space bar.

It has to do with the unique geometry of each persons hands, coupled with the cadence of how they type. In other words, if they are a "Thumper" when they type, and they violently hit the keys ten times harder than necessary, it would also cause their palm to bounce unnecessarily up and down. Basically if they very, very lightly or quickly tap the far left or right side of the Magic Trackpad with their palms, it thinks they are trying to execute a "tap to click."

I have been working with Andreas who publishes Better Touch Tool and he is building a feature into his amazing software that turns off "Tap to Click" on the right and left edges of the Magic Trackpad which will perfectly overcome the challenge.

You can read all about the history of this issue on the BulletBlog which you can find at:

http://blog.bullettrain.com

BTW: TUAW.com just wrote a glowing review about the BulletTrain Express and MagicStand where they said "First, the Express Keyboard Platform holds Apple's Bluetooth keyboard and Magic Trackpad in a portable and supremely useful configuration, while the MagicStand for iPad offers multiple viewing angles, durability and good looks."

So I just wanted to point out what you questioned as the lack of a "gap between the keyboard and trackpad" TUAW referred to as a "Supremely Useful Configuration."

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Warmest regards,

Jake
Thanks for the update, and I was finally able to justify paying $110 and waiting a month for the better design, but the $30 price increase is too much to justify.

JakeE

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2004
You can't imagine the number of design and engineering hours that have gone into developing, and continue to go into the development of these products, not to mention the specialized tooling required to machine these high precision parts, as well as the cost to complete the prototyping and tooling cost for the injection molded chassis part we are working on.

I realize it is easy for anybody to say "hey, you took a piece of aluminum and cut a hole in it, and you are charging $130." The reality, is the exact opposite. In other words, you would be stunned if your realized how complicated it is to engineer and prototype, then machine these parts, especially making them domestically, in San Francisco, not to mention the cost of anodizing the unibody aluminum, velcro, feet, screen printing, CAD design, plastic envelopes, packaging paper, boxes, business license, transportation cost, legal expenses and employee overhead. Also, I have to purchase a minimum of 1000 units at a time.

Of course, I designed the BulletTrain Express Keyboard Platform and MagicStand for iPad to be kindergarden simple in looks and function, and in reality, they are anything but.

For the last 6 months, I have worked 7 days a week, 16 hours a day, including Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years Eve, etc, so I could help make peoples live better with these extremely innovative products, so it is just great to have people, like you, anonymously try to judge my product without any sense of what it takes to achieve something like this.

That being said, the reason I have worked so hard, is because I enjoy helping make peoples lives better through design, so having spoken with many, many, many customers whose lives have been transformed by my products is not only the greatest reward, but why I do what I do. If you spent ANY time using one of my products, or studying the design of them, you would realize I am offering anything, but a piece of aluminum.

It is by design the keyboard is not flush with the trackpad. If you carefully examine the design of the BulletTrain Express you will realize it is miraculous these parts, that were never meant to dance together, tango as beautifully as they do!!!

Jake

$130 for a piece of piece of aluminum? Are you on drugs? Not to mention that the keyboard isn't even flush with the trackpad.

kwarren

Aug 18, 2007
If you carefully examine the design of the BulletTrain Express you will realize it is miraculous these parts, that were never meant to dance together, tango as beautifully as they do!!!

Jake

I think I might have been right in my initial assessment.

Anyway, I'm not knocking the time invested/startup funds required (I have experience dealing with similar things), I'm just saying that at $130 + s/h, this product doesn't seem to be realistic for many folks, even if Mac owners and design fans are used to paying a significant premium for prettiness.

Your explanation of the time/effort put in has no impact on the customer who visits your site, gets overwhelmed by the product description copy, sees the pricetag, and says, "Yeah, no thanks."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.