Trick to changing RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stokes, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Stokes macrumors regular

Hey Guys,
    I've a six day old SRBM 2.0 that had 1MB. I got a couple of factory 1MB chips that I wanted to install.

It seemed like a fairly straight forward swap when I read about it, but I have two issues.

1. It seems like the RAM just kinda floats in there... Doesn't really snap or lock in well.

2. the closure strip (L shaped metal strip with the screws), doesn't seem to secure down as well as when I took it out. It's like it doesn't sit in the slot well, and the foam that pushed the RAM gets caught up. It's such that the battery now has some side pressure and doesn't fit the case as perfectly as it did before. Everything seems to work fine, and it reads the chips well.. but just doesn't seem right.

Your thoughts please.:eek:

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I just installed 2x2 sticks today. You need to really push them in there. The L shaped bracket needs to be screwed in TIGHT to keep the battery from not closing correctly. Try to re-seat the sticks. Push from both sides, it will go in, just work on it a bit.

The Phillips screw size is O (Zero)

3. Stokes thread starter macrumors regular

Do the outward edges of the RAM lie flush with the black guide, or do they sit in slightly?

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I have experienced the same problem with the L-shaped bracket thing on the macbooks where I have changed the RAM. It doesn't fit as tightly as before after changing it.

And as poster #2 said, PRESS the RAM into the slot until they click. It takes a fair amount of effort.

5. Stokes thread starter macrumors regular

OK.. I just reinstalled the RAM, and wasn't a ***** about it this time... really giving it a good push..
    It didn't click, but I could certainly feel it fit into a slot like you'd expect it. And, now the L bracket is fitting better.

I do have a 160GB HDD that I got from a guy that took it out of his new MBPro, the same machine that I got the RAM. I want to replace my 80GB that came with my machine. None of the tutorials said that it took a torx driver to remove the HDD from the cradle, so I didn't buy one tonight when I got the 0 size Philips for the L bracket, so I'll do that tomorrow. Anyone know what size it is? Almost looks like it's a 5, but it's hard for me to guestimate those kinds of things.

Any tips on reinstalling my OS on the new to me drive?

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The easiest way to about this is getting an USB-->SATA adapter or a 2.5" enclosure to the new disk, mounting it and use Disk Utility to restore your old disk to the new one.

7. Stokes thread starter macrumors regular

I don't actually have anything new or needed on my current drive. I'm still using my windows based Compaq, as I was waiting to start using my MB until I had the upgrades installed. I wanted to do that all tonight. The only thing I've done with my MB so far is watch a DVD (Transformers... what a great show!). So, could I just use the discs that came with my MB to install on the new drive? Since this drive came out of a new MBP from a few weeks ago, it might actually have something on it, I just don't know what.

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

If the MBP was new, it will have iLife '08 on it that you might just want to keep. You can do an archive and install on the drive and it will import (or you might want to do that yourself, can't remember how archive and install works) the old installed apps from the MBP. It's technically not legal however, since your MB was not bundled with the new iLife?

9. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Yeah I installed the ram yesterday. I am LOVING the 4 gigs of ram. Best purchase EVER!!! but yes, the ram slots are pretty tight. I remember when I was in high school, i friend say this ...

"Ram is like a girl's you know....just gotta get it loose".

The screws were annoy you more than the slots. I swear to god, that rights screw....mother$(*#&$*(#&($#&(*#$&(*#& !!!!!!!!!! i hate you screw.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I can tell you how it works with a MacBook, and I assume the MacBook Pro is the same: First, you push in the RAM chips quite hard. That's when you think you're done, but you're not: There are about two more millimetres to go. So now you press very, very hard until you can feel it move those two millimetres. It will hurt your fingers.

Normally, if the chips are not pressed far enough, the Mac just won't see them, and I haven't heard anything on MacRumors that this would do any permanent damage to your machine, so you just have to reopen and press them in some more. It seems odd that you say the RAM is actually working when it is not completely pushed in.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I didn't have a torx screwdriver either, but the screws on the cradle stick out, and you can do the work far away from your computer, so I used pliers instead :eek: Takes the black paint off the screws, but doesn't damage them otherwise.

And the best thing to do is buying an external case (2.5" SATA to USB); I found one for about £13. Put the old drive into the external case, boot from it, then start Disk Utility and you can drag the complete old drive onto the new one. And you have a spare external disk for £13.

12. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Once you have the RAM in all the way, when you are reinstalling the L-bracket (RAM Door) try tucking the foam behind the door where it belongs with a Playing Card. Finally a use for those pesky jokers that come with every deck. Make sure that none of the foam is pinched over the top of the door. Then screw the tiny screws in tightly with your #0 phillips.