Tried Many - Still don't have a Website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Reality4711, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Reality4711 macrumors 6502

Reality4711

Please point me in the direction of a simple method of setting up a Website to allow selected or public viewing of some of my images.
    At the moment I give out an address for a file in DropBox. Simple but requires me to instigate each time for each file.
    I have had little success with the larger hosting companies but see no point in listing them as others may think different and a retry might be useful.
    However; simple to use, free up to 5Gb as a minimum with the images not having to be held elsewhere on the web to be posted.

Suggestions Please

Regards

Sharkey

2. 960design macrumors 68000

Bluehost, one click wordpress install. Search for a free ( or paid ) gallery theme that matches your design wants. Upload pictures.

Hosting for 3 years plus domain should set you back $100US or so.

3. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

move from dropbox to a website ?
    How about Flickr ? it's an image hosting site, and offers 1 TB of space, you can share public and private and there are a software similar to dropbox, where you just throw the picture into and then it uploads for you.
    costs: 0$/year

:)

4. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

For a professional site, I like the Bluehost idea...i just had to post a couple of photos recently, tried Flickr and almost had to slit my wrists...Flickr is part of Yahoo! and I just can't stand their set up. Anyway, I went with Picassa and had a much simpler experience.

Just my $0.02...

5. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I honestly think you'd be better off setting up your own website although I certainly wouldn't recommend Bluehost, or any other company owned by the Endurance International Group (EIG). There are many great hosts out there that offer one click Wordpress installation, although to be honest it's not exactly hard to learn how to set it up yourself.

6. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

7. Reality4711 thread starter macrumors 6502

Reality4711

8. 960design macrumors 68000

Bluehost has always been 1 of the top 5 for the past many years, that's why I recommend it. I actually have not experience with Bluehost. I didn't want to complicate things by adding in a bunch of variables. As BillyBobBongo pointed out, please research your own hosting company.

9. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

I have hosted with BlueHost for years and they have always been great with me. I've never noticed my email not working and the rare times I've contacted Support they were quick to respond and helpful. The prices are great. They haven't let me do absolutely everything I wanted to do on my site but it's because it was insecure. I had wanted to use a certain PHP component that wasn't installed on the server to create an upload progress bar. They didn't want me allowing other people to upload to the server for security reasons and they are absolutely right. Now I use Dropbox to share with clients which is much better than what I was trying to do. I wouldn't host with anyone else.

10. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

They used to be very good, but following the merger with EIG their quality has dropped dramatically by all accounts.

11. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

How so?

12. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Typically it's the customer support that goes once a company is under the ownership of EIG.

13. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

That and my understanding is that BlueHost started putting considerably more clients on each server increasing the load (and therefore decreasing the performance of websites on them) quite dramatically.

14. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Aye, any means to save money.

ASmallOrange spectacularly fell from grace in December last year, with server outages lasting over 8 days for some people. They never really covered what happened, and failed to inform clients what was going on for days on end during the outage. To my knowledge it is still unclear what went on.

Obviously negative reviews are more prevalent on the internet the positive ones, but I fell that due to the sheer number of negatives ones against EIG companies...it is worth taking note.

15. grizfan macrumors member

grizfan

don't take this the wrong way, but if someone is struggling to figure out how to do something like this, taking on responsibility for setting up, deploying and (most importantly) maintaining a WordPress site is a terrible idea. WordPress is a wonderful system, but it does take a certain degree of knowledge and expertise, and needs to be maintained, as well. Setting up your own website on Bluehost or any other hosting service takes a lot of effort. Why put yourself through this; just set up an account at Wix, Weebly, SquareSpace or even WordPress.com, and let them worry about the management. Yes, there is a monthly cost (comparable to self-hosting, though) and yes, you are limited to the design templates provided by the host, but this will still be far easier, and provide far better results than a self-hosted WordPress site.

16. iamgalactic macrumors regular

17. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

It's true. I've been with HostGator before and after EIG. They aren't the same company...

18. satchmo macrumors 68000

I'm leaving SquareSpace. Very slow. And quite expensive compared to alternative offerings.
    Customer service on technical side is okay, but their billing dept. keeps messing up...so be prepared for headaches.
    There's no shortage of similar drag and drop website builders.

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Where are you going?

20. satchmo macrumors 68000

For me, I simply need a portfolio template. There are tons out there from Wix, Adobe Portfolio, Behance, Format, etc.
    Or I might build one in Adobe Muse, export HTML and find a hosting company.

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Just curious. I'm setting up a new site for a new business and don't want to do another WordPress site. I really don't like WordPress. I wasn't sure about sticking with GoDaddy for hosting either so I'm starting from scratch.

22. -pete- macrumors member

How much are people looking to spend per month? The company I work for are working on a website builder system similar to a Wix or Squarespace and we would love some feedback on how much to charge!

23. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Part of it will depend on the use. For a personal site, people don't want to spend even the $5/month you can get on a lot of sites now. We are a non-profit, and everything is coming out of our pockets.

24. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

There are some extremely cheap (if not free) - assuming a certain level of bandwidth requirements - solutions for static hosting like using Amazon S3 , or Netlify. If you're talking a static site, without the need for too complex ongoing content management (or some simple static generation templates), that's definitely the way to go.

25. satchmo macrumors 68000

If ones needs are truly that basic, simply using the free Web builders that come with registering a domain name is another option.

To be honest, website building apps are becoming or are already a commodity. The business of web design is slowly dying with the plethora of off the shelf templates. Why pay a developer unless your needs require specific customization or function.