Tried the ceramic on and boy am I glad I did

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by anthonymoody, Sep 16, 2016.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I went to the Apple Store where they did indeed have the ceramic to try on (though not to purchase). Wanted to see how it would look with one of my bands with SS connectors as I have several including a not inexpensive Hermes.

Anyway, the SS connectors looked "okay" but definitely not great.

HOWEVER I was stunned to find/feel that the joint between the ceramic body and the glass screen is MUCH more prominent than it is on the SS and aluminum watches. It's like a whole other bezel now exists.

TBH it gave it a cheap feel. Not nearly as "milled from a single stone" feeling as the other materials.

It's SS for me for sure. Glad I didn't preorder.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's probably the same but it's white so it is more obvious, just like how you can more easily see the various curvature/indentations in the body panels on white cars vs. other colors.

3. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Hey, try before you buy. And you did. And if your impression is 'neh', it just isn't worth the extra money unless you can get over that. Enjoy the other much more affordable choices :)

4. profets macrumors 68040

I took a quick peak at it in store. I was honestly a bit underwhelmed by the look. Big fan of white, and was drooling over the product shots of it online. But something in person didn't do it for me.

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I have it in my schedule to check it out in October in Amsterdam's Apple store. But money is my issue haha. I wanted to find out if it is worth saving for, or if I should get a series 2 watch now and just get over myself for wanting white.

This thread gives me some great pointers to look for specifically.

6. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Hopefully I like it. Got it coming on Tuesday. Hopefully I feel batter about it then some of you guys.

7. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Nope. Not remotely the same. You can see it and even worse you can easily feel it. It doesn't feel smooth at all the way the SS and aluminum does. The watch is essentially a different shape than the others.

To each their own but don't believe that it's just a visual thing because it's white. It's very much a physical difference than the other watches. The store guy and I had a whole exchange about it.

8. profets macrumors 68040

Lol agreed. Money is another factor too. It's an expensive device, and if they update it in a year I know I'm going to likely change again.

9. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Would this be because of the Ceramic or a design flaw in the display unit?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'll take your word for it, but wonder if it's simply a design flaw in the demo unit? The photos on Apple's site look no different from those of other AWs.

11. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Unclear. Whatever the reason, they better figure it out if they're planning to use ceramic for the iPhone 8/X or whatever they call next year's 10th anniversary phone. There's no way people would want that condition on an iPhone after years of using ones where the screen and body blend together smoothly.

Also, just to be clear(er), the reason I ran my finger along the edge to check was because I saw it with my eyes. At first, I thought "huh maybe the white just stands out more" as a poster above suggested, but after feeling it...nope. It's an obvious physical difference.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2016 ---
    Well they all had it - there were ceramic ones in the display case, plus the one I tried on, and another in the same drawer. Once I felt it I wanted to check the others (to be clear, I checked the other one in the drawer physically; the display case couldn't be opened, but a visual check showed the same thing). Also, the issue goes all the way around the screen evenly, so it's not like it was misaligned or something.

12. rishiomedia macrumors member

Someone else mentioned this in the review, however, they thought it made it looker nicer. I've never seen it myself, but curious..

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So this is by design and someone thought it looks nicer? Interesting because I can't tell how it's any different in Apple's official photos, but then again they're renders. Someone ought to take real-life pics of it so we can see what we're talking about.

14. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It's kind of like a frame than a body. Somebody will like it, some will not as usual.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. anthonymoody, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Nicely done. That captures it really well. I obviously didn't like it, but to each their own.

Yeah I felt the same way. I didn't comment about this because the 'bezel' felt much more important to mention. But I reeeeeeally wanted to like it and agree that the glamour shots of it look amazing. But in person I too was underwhelmed. Not special to my eyes. Again though to each their own.

Interesting. Do you recall which review?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2016 ---
    Went back to look at the pix on Apple's site and it's definitely there, but you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for it.

Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 2.05.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 2.04.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 2.05.15 PM.png

16. the future macrumors 65816

17. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I wonder how the ceramic model would look with the black Milanese band or black link band. Probably pretty darn good!

I wasn't going to get the series 2, but those picture look so, so nice. I have both the black link and Milanese, so I'm starting to drool.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Now I can see what you're talking about from the real-life photos. However, the renders barely look any different from the normal black gap seen in the renders of other AW models. It's much more obvious in real life.

[​IMG]

19. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Maybe an extra-sharp edge made in ceramic is more likely to chip, so they rounded it off where it's most likely to get banged on something.

20. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Was discussing this with the Mrs. and she surmised exactly that.

21. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon

I'm not got a chance to try on.
    At first sight on reveal day I thought about AP (Audemars Pigeut) Diver Ceramic .
    AP diver come many colours .My wife also says it's look like Casio , no one know it's expensive.
    But I said, Who care?
    Consider Apple is watch maker , they produced 18-k gold and now Ceramic , price for Ceramic not expensive and I think the black version will be come after.
    I preferred the Edition instead of Hermes even I really want Hermes watch face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My 18 year old ceramic Junghans Mega Solar.

IMG_3157 (1).jpg