Tried the Iphone 7 +

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Mar 19, 2017.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I currently own a Verizon Moto Z Force and a Pixel. I have been an Apple customer for a long, long time. I currently own an Imac, a MacMini, a new Macbook and my wife has a 15inch MacBook Pro. I have had the Iphone 5s, 6, 6plus, and 6s Plus. So I really like Apple. I took home a 7+ yesterday. First, it is a wonderful phone.....but. To me, it is not significantly better than my Droid Z. The stereo speakers on the 7 are good, but the front facing speaker on the Z is also good and loud. With a leather case on the 7 + it is LARGE. The camera on the 7+ is great but the camera on the Z is also pretty good. I really, really wanted to like this phone and keep it, but, to me, IOS seems stale. The battery life on the 7+ is really good but with a quad HD screen and a 3500maH battery, the Z lasts longer. I am returning the 7+ and waiting on the Iphone 8. I hope Apple makes a more modern phone. The only big advantage for the + is Apple care. It is very re-assuring to have a place to bring it in case it malfunctions, of course, you pay dearly for this privilege.

2. LoliS macrumors regular

The iP7+ camera is significantly better than the Moto Z camera.

There will always be better phones in the future. But I need a great phone with a great camera now.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In my opinion, you didn't even give much time to try the iPhone 7+ before wanting return it. Looks to me like you already had your mind made up before you purchased the phone.

1. Why create a thread telling complete strangers on a forum that you are returning a newly bought phone? If you are unhappy with the phone, the logical thing to do, would be to contact Apple directly, and voice your concerns and observations. Looks to me like you are looking for others to approve and or give justification of your actions,.

2. Why did you feel a need to post your Apple buying history? One doesn't need some lengthy Apple purchase history, in order to post an opinion on a recent purchase.

4. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I used a Pixel for 4 months because I thought iOS was stale and just wanted a change. I'm now back on an iPhone 7. At this point I prefer the reliability of the iPhone/iOS. If I hadn't experienced so many issues with the Pixel and Android OS, I would probably still be using it.

May I ask what your reason was for trying out the 7+? It seems like you really like the Moto Z Force.

5. LoliS macrumors regular

What were these issues? I have a Pixel and have no issues at all.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I don't know how you define "Modern" over the iPhone 7. What other phones are considered modern, which wouldn't include the iPhone 8, because we don't know what it will even look like and or entail.

7. RetroCase macrumors newbie

RetroCase

I actually went from a Z Force to a 7 Plus as well - but for me the 7 Plus won out by a large margin, especially so on battery life. It's a large phone, but it's really splitting hairs with most 5.5" phones anymore - they're pretty similar in size until we start seeing more bezel free releases.

8. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

First Pixel:
    • Charging issues, would fluctuate from charging to not charging with the included USB-C to USB-C and power adapter. Worked fine with the USB-C to USB-A cable.
    • Microphone wouldn't work so when on a call I would have to use speakerphone or headphones. Also, Google Assistant couldn't hear me.
    Replacement Pixel (note: Charging works fine with the same USB-C to USB-C cable and power adapter.)
    • Microphone is showing signs that the first Pixel did, the microphone will stop working and I need to restart the phone to get it working again. That's how the first one began, then eventually stopped working altogether.
    Both phones had the following issues:

• Calls would drop on both WiFi and VoLTE.
    • The voicemail tab in the Phone app will occasionally not show up, so I would have to disable Visual Voicemail, then renable it.
    • WiFi calling would randomly disable itself and would have to be re-enabled.
    • Since either the February or March security updates, the phone would randomly freeze up and then restart.
    I basically grew tired of having to troubleshoot the device, factory reset it or test using safe mode and the dropped calls were frustrating.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

That's unfortunate. I know a few others who own the Pixel and really like it. I think it's one of the stronger competitors to the iPhone at the moment, especially since the Note 7 issue.

10. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

It definitely is a nice phone and I enjoyed the different experience for awhile. I think it was just rushed so the next Pixel will likely be much better and hopefully Google can fix the supply issues.

11. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

iOS may be "stale" but it's all about preference. I prefer something stable, simple and secure with great battery life over an OS that is up and down with unstable performance and battery life. I tried Android for a few months.... wasn't satisfied. Went right back to iOS. Haven't looked back.

It's nice to have an open mind and be willing to try new things. I do have to agree with someone else that mentioned you didn't give it enough time to make an accurate review. In regards to battery life, the 7+ is impressive. Last night, I was at 58% with almost 6 hours of screen on time. Main usage was on Facebook, twitter, messaging, Tapatalk, email, phone calls and a little gaming.

You can't get that on any Android, even the S7. My coworker has one and she has to recharge her phone towards the end of her shift (5 PM). With my iPhone, when I leave work at 6, my phone is still sitting around 75%, and I use my phone throughout the day.

Here's what my usage is looking like today... Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are on 24/7 as well...

[​IMG]

12. LoliS, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

LoliS macrumors regular

Moto Z Play.

13. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

I went this route: 6 Plus -> 6S Plus -> Note 7 (boom!) -> 6S Plus -> Pixel XL -> 7 Plus.

I had Pixel XL for full 14 days before I exchanged it at Verizon, and it's a great phone. I've never been more in-between Android and iOS. There are just so many things I prefer in one over the other, but in the end, iPhone JUST edges it out. iOS is still a bit more refined. As an example - Night Shift. iOS allows me to choose how much yellow shift I want - Android is either yellow as heck, or normal.

What I do want to say though is that 7 Plus, wrapped in a thin case, feels no different than my 6S Plus did. The touchID button is a bit annoying (really like how Pixel has an on-screen home, back and multitask buttons, makes for more consistent feel), and not going to get into loosing the headphone jack, but otherwise it feels the same, runs the same, lasts the same. I'm no photographer, and the camera is great, and so were my last 4 phones.

14. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Agreed. It's the refinement that makes all the difference. I've tried the newest version of Android and apps just look and feel so much better on iOS. Plus, when you have all Apple devices, everything works so seamlessly. I see no reason to switch. And people who say iOS is "stale", probably just need to find more hobbies in their lives. Your phone is a tool, not sure what "stale" even means.

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm never sure what someone means when he says iOS is "stale." I need clarification on that. Android hasn't changed any more than iOS over the years. They both still work with icons on pages, and the "guts" have changed little on both.

16. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Yeah wait until .................:confused: next year September and you will see what it will look like :mad:

17. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Well if you think the OS is stale, then it really doesn't matter what iPhone you get IMO.

18. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I'm not sure what you mean by "hoping Apple makes a more modern phone [in the ip8].

If the 7+ didn't do it for you...no big deal.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Re-read what you posted, as your post doesn't make sense.. Why would I wait until next year, when the iPhone releases this year?

20. its Dale macrumors 6502

iMessage holds me back from going back to Android. HD MMS + Airdrop is the clear winner. Im close with my family and text a lot of video and other Multi media messages. I had android when i wanted the bigger screen (prior to the 6) and sending video's was a constant struggle. i work with a lot of people with Android's and they always have a hard time sharing videos and keeping the HD quality. They have to store in on a flash drive and then share it from that

21. chrismichael83 macrumors newbie

chrismichael83

I tried an 7+ but it was just too big for my personal preference. I would love to own a bigger iphone but until they shrink those huge bezels and make the form factor fitting (LG G6 can do as Samsung) I will hold onto my 7 4.7"
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2017 ---
    True, imessage is def a feature that keeps a lot. I think out of all my friends and family maybe 3 or 4 have android. It just makes communicating a lot easier. Apple should def cross platform imessage and make it on android. Charge like 3-5 dollars and right there they have another revenue. The one thing Apple has is the messaging, every android device has a different message presence. I do have that one friend who sends a text and its like 1/4. Really?

22. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I completely agree with you, except for when people refer to smartphones as simply "tools". I mean, for all intents and purposes, yes it is a tool. But we all know it's so much more than that. They are so deeply integrated into our lives these days, that I can understand someone wanting a change due to a perceived "staleness".

We could boil anything down to a simplistic category: cars are just transportation vessels, clothes are just pieces of cloth legally required to be worn, and houses are merely shelters. Doesn't stop us from wanting to switch up any of those based purely on taste.

I know, I'm going way off topic. But I see nothing wrong with wanting a new phone just because you're bored with your current one, just as there's nothing wrong with wanting a new outfit because you're bored with your current style.

23. djshack macrumors regular

For battery life and camera, the 7+ wins hands down (although against the Pixel camera may be up for argument). I had the Nexus 6P, 6S+, Nexus 6P (yeah), then the 7+, and the battery life is just amazing on these phones.

24. bufffilm, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Apple would rather keep iMessage exclusive and persuade people to try their phone instead.

But yes...if iMessage ever hit the Google play store, it would be lights out for the competition.

Actually, I think they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they were to ever post imessage to the Google store. It would remove one of the biggest attractions to buying an iPhone or iPad.

25. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

The Pixel XL I had was the first Android phone that I've owned (and I've had my share) that did two things right - battery life was comparable to the 7 Plus, including overnight, and speed. Every other Android phone I've used was always choppy at times compared to iPhone, due to manufacturers putting their overlays over stock Android. Pixel really is as fast and smooth as my iPhone 7 Plus. Can't comment on Nexus phones as I've only had the original Nexus One...