Tried the new MacBook Pro 13" and WOAH!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FrankySavvy, Nov 1, 2016.

1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

The display was out of this world! Although it is the same resolution as the 2015 models, it is 2x as bright, super sharp and shows a lot more colors! I was blown away at the difference! It is a huge upgrade!

In my honest opinion the new second generation butterfly keyboard is amazing! I tried both the old 12" MacBook and the new 13" and there is certainly more key travel, but the biggest difference is the satisfying click you get when you press down on the keys, its wonderful! I understand why some won't like it but to me its a great keyboard!

The speakers are super loud and have great clarity, I have to play them at half volume because they are actually too loud at full blast! Great treble and even some bass!

The Space Gray is the color to get! It just looks gorgeous! The build quality on this machine has the be the highest quality I have seen on a Mac laptop!

I am very impressed and can't wait to get my hands on the 15 inch! This would have been an amazing upgrade even without the touch bar! The touch bar is just icing on the cake and who knows the potential!

Great job Apple! I would suggest anyone who is on the fence, try the new MacBook Pro in person!

2. Softwarez macrumors member

The fact that a device supposedly designed for professionals in mind being called a "great device" because of reasons like great screen, attractive colour, and loud speakers shows how mainstream the Macbook Pro has become.

It's great that you like the device though! I'm not trying to rain on your parade. In fact, I think it is still the best looking notebook on the market today.

But that's why the professionals are saddened by it. The Macbook Pro has become an expensive piece of jewelry for the masses, as Apple has thrown away most of the things that made the Macbook Pro actually "Pro".

And as long as the device sells well to the masses who don't mind paying 2000 dollars + for nice metal and a good screen, Apple will have no incentive to make a real Macbook Pro for professionals who need it.

3. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Tell us how you really feel and how it is worse in terms of performance to last years model?

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

So tell us what kind of "professional" work this MacBook cannot do?

Cause from what I hear, it can handle 4K video editing, audio editing, Photoshop (lol anything can do that at this point), coding, web development. I'm really struggling to name an example of a task this will handle poorly.

Now will it do 4K video editing as well as a Xeon processor? No. Are there computers that MAYBE will render something slightly faster? Sure. But that doesn't mean this one isn't "good" or can't get the job done on an acceptable level to someone who gets paid to do these things.

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Praising the butterfly keyboard lolz

6. Softwarez macrumors member

I guess the words I used were a bit too strong.

To clarify, I don't think the new Macbook Pro is a bad device. In fact, I think it's a great device. Just putting the professional market aside for a second, as a consumer device, it's excellent and no one will be disappointed with it. In fact, I'll probably end up getting one myself once the price goes down since I actually like what the Touch Bar provides.

In terms of performance, yes, it can handle those things. And the lack of progress on this front really is more of Intel's fault than Apple's. I have no issues with the CPU performance. Most people, myself included would be SSHing to a more powerful work station anyways.

What is disappointing in my opinion is that Apple could have done far better. In broadening the appeal of the Macbook Pro, they've lost sight of the small things that can matter to professionals. For example, battery life (smaller battery in new model), ports (no hdmi, sd card, Usb type-A), OPTION for more than 16GB ram for those who need it.

Yes, people will argue that Apple is pushing the industry towards type-C, but the reality is that the world moves slowly. Especially in academic environments like Universities where legacy ports like VGA can still be seen.

My point is I guess, the new Macbook Pro is a great device. But Apple could have made it even better.

7. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

I think the reason why non-pro's choose the Pro more often is that you actually get great performance from it.
    People want to use a new expensive laptop as long as possible and that's why they choose performance over thinness and why most of them are not willing to spend almost the same amount of money for a rather underpowered machine like the rMB, which only brings thinness and portability - especially since the Pro has become really thin and light as well.

That's why the Air is so popular - it combines great design, thinness AND great performance that is more than enough for every non-professional. And why they kinda introduced the non-touch-bar Pro as an Air successor at the event.

8. Ries macrumors 68000

Try playing 4K HVEC265 Main10 content and look at the CPU usage, should be easy since it is one of the two formats content will be in from now on. It is future proof right?

9. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

For those that tried the 13", I wanted to ask, does the front of the laptop dig into your wrists like the previous generations? That was what made me go the 15" back in 2015 - it was just too obviously sharp and always digging into the wrist. Did they change this in any way?

10. PaulWog Suspended

Pros of new laptop:
    - better screen (brighter, better color rendition, better depth of blacks and whites)
    - thinner
    - a bit faster
    - a new control feature on the keyboard

Cons of new laptop:
    - worse battery (no way around it, it's a smaller battery, try charging your phone & watch your battery go away)
    - expensive as hell
    - ports do not match current or near-future needs
    - no more magsafe
    - no more apple logo lighting up
    - 720p webcam still... very, VERY subpar
    - more of an Air-line laptop than a Pro-line laptop now... should've remained the same size, kept the same size battery, and upped performance more

11. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

I can't say regarding the 13" MBP, but the GPU in the 15" take care of it already, should it not?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-s-Polaris-Architecture.172663.0.html

Whats the actual deployment schedule for Main-10 like? Complaining about the lack of support is moot if it won't even be widespread immediately. It's not like they can just deploy Main-10 and make the video experience miserable for 99% of PC, Smartphone and Tablet users anyway.

12. leman macrumors 604

But then again, if they had a 32GB version, the battery life would have suffered. The battery life of the new model is likely to be slightly better than the last years model btw, despite the smaller battery. And overall, Apple had to make tough call — improve battery life or improve portability. I very much disagree that portability is not important to a 'pro' (whoever that is). Even more so, someone who buys a 13" laptop is probably buying it for portability in the first place.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    Could you outline how exactly (using available components) higher performance could have been achieved with the previous size?

13. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Other then the lack of ports, how are the new MacbookPros not Pro Laptops? Any Web Developer/Coder/Photographer/Audio Producer/Musician/Graphic Designer/Videographer etc should have no problem using this device for their everyday workflow. I don't understand the complaints? Only thing I will be missing is the SD card slot - although I have a feeling, cameras will begin to sync wirelessly and or come with a usb-c cable to upload directly to your laptop very soon.

14. redkamel macrumors 6502

I did not try it out in person, but I am rather excited to finally have power, 2x 5k displays, and all my external peripherals through one port/cable type, and to have my laptop be almost as big as my MacBook Air.

15. ulfertg, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

ulfertg macrumors newbie

ulfertg

I'm a professional graphic designer (among other professions) and since my work often overlaps with prepress my main reason to buy the new MBP is the enhanced gamut of the display.
    I would have preferred it to be AdobeRGB, but P3 is a step in the right direction. And since I'm also into filming, I'm not too sad about it ;)

I don't know yet what to think about the touch-bar since I'm heavily relying on shortcuts and can't imagine to hit the right "key" blindly on an even surface, but I'm looking forward to test it.

16. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

You're making me salivate. This waiting stuff is tough.

17. leman macrumors 604

Right, because professionals don't need a screen at all and just operate the laptop merely by the power of their PRO ;) Frankly, I spend most of my time staring at the screen editing code and reading PDFs. Better display means less eye fatigue and better overall experience for me. And 70% brighter display means better readability in bright conditions.

18. 0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

It's not that it can't handle it. It's that other computers can do these things in a much better way.

19. cullenl87 macrumors member

The keyboard is really great. Much better than the MB.

20. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Go read the Ars Technica review out today. It puts together a lot of the details that I think many people are missing.

The new display that is significantly brighter, not just than the old version, but than almost any display on any laptop, is a big deal. It means anyone, professional or not, can better use their laptop outdoors. The display has more accurate color rendition and supports a wider colorspace. This is a big deal to the professional print and photography markets. It got sixteen hours of battery life on the web browsing test - on which the old model got 10 with a bigger battery.

If you have to have all those ports built in, buy the previous version. It's pretty much everything you are asking for, and the improvements in the silicon are so small as to be largely ignored. You should be thrilled you can buy exactly what you want at a lower price!

I actually think that Ars is too down on their overall assessment of this model. This is exactly the machine that the 13" MBA owners have been asking for, minus a port or two. The price is perhaps a bit higher than people had hoped, but my bet is that Apple is going to sell a ton of this model - more so than the fancier versions.

21. Softwarez macrumors member

The problem isn't that the new Macbook Pro can't do those things. Of course it's capable of doing those things. But does it do those things significantly better than a 2015 Macbook Pro, or a Thinkpad? No. And that's the problem, it doesn't reinvent the scene like the Macbook Air, or the first Macbook Pro Retina did.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's still a great device for first-time Mac buyers and people with ancient hardware. Also, the quality of construction, software maturity, and aesthetic design of Apple also can't be beat. But I believe Apple could have done so much more. And given that they took around 4 years to do the redesign, people were expecting something revolutionary.

As for the quality of the display, I don't refute it. it's beautiful. But which professionals actually use the notebook as the primary display?

As a software engineer, I prefer a docking station with matte display panels for less long term eye strain, and displays oriented vertically to get the most out of the screen real estate. A portable 13 inch Macbook Pro would mostly be used on the go, and I would be SSHing anyways.

As for professional artists, I would imagine a professionally calibrated display capable of 100% Adobe RGB, with high accuracy precision would be preferable.

22. powertoold macrumors 6502

Apple took the best laptop on the market 4 years running and made it better in basically every way. What do we expect? They already said they're not gonna do a touchscreen laptop.

23. tongefactor40 macrumors regular

Agree, it can handle video editing apps well. I had the 2015 Pro and gave it up because it struggled with 3D design - 2016 is not a great leap forward with the GPS, so I am not buying.

24. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I know this is the same impression I had when I tried it out at the local Best Buy which had display units on hand before the Apple Store did. I don't know what Angela was thinking not having devices readily available to purchase. I gave her the benefit of the doubt with the first Apple Watch and MacBook in 2015 but now there is no excuse.

People who pay premium price want premium service and that means the brick and mortar Apple stores need to be ready to deliver. That's the least we could get for our $1800+.

25. wegster macrumors 6502

One might reasonably argue this is where the 13" and 15"s should in fact diverge, and the part highlighted above is missing performance in that equation, e.g. balance performance (first goal of pro), battery life, and portability - some might argue on the placement of the second and third, but not so much on the first, performance.

While I'd love a 13" quad-core (or better, 12" with 13" screen size/reduced bezel and footprint) with 2TB SSD and 32GB of RAM, as the 'baby pro' I'd be OK if the 13" maxed out at 16GB while the 15" gave the option, as it already historically does in some ways via dGPU (consumes more power) and BTO CPU options (more power), and the 'missing' 32GB of RAM.