Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
This is by far the best reason to upgrade to the newest Trim Support Enabler release - it will work forever (at least as long as the .kext model survives).

Benna80

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Thank you Cindori for the upgraded app. I put it to use on my Crucial M4 in my early 2011 MBP. Very happy with what I have seen.

I have the same SSD and i've got randomly the spinning beachball locking my mac activity for many seconds.
Very randomly when i turn on my MBP it doesn't even login since it stays in the grey screen for minutes.

Mine is MBP late '08 with snow leopard 10.6.8.
I guess if it's something related to TRIM enabler or simply a MBP firmware issue (as i've read something about this in the official Apple discussion forum).

Anyway, very annoying!

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I have the same SSD and i've got randomly the spinning beachball locking my mac activity for many seconds.
Very randomly when i turn on my MBP it doesn't even login since it stays in the grey screen for minutes.

Mine is MBP late '08 with snow leopard 10.6.8.
I guess if it's something related to TRIM enabler or simply a MBP firmware issue (as i've read something about this in the official Apple discussion forum).

Anyway, very annoying!

Ben,

I have had no issues since I installed mine. Performance is as expected, no beach balls no locking. Just for a quick trouble shoot, turn it off and re-boot. See what happens over the next few weeks. The ease to turn off and on, makes this a quick test.

I am running Lion on a early 2011.

Benna80

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Ok, is not something related to TRIMEnabler.

I've read that is an issue with MBP late 2008 with some recent firmware and SSD drives.

Damn, it's so annoying....
Anyway, good to know TRIMEnabler does the correct job without any side effect

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the article you linked is from December 2011. Now that Lion is up to 10.7.3, is the article's instructions still valid?

I'm torn between using this link to enable it through the terminal, or using the trim enabler app. I keep hearing mixed recommendations. Thanks.

If it says trim is enabled in System Profiler, you don't have to anything

You don't need TRIM enabler at all in the first place. just do this...

http://www.storagereview.com/how_enable_trim_nonapple_ssd

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
The terminal command was provided as an alternative to Trim Enabler 1.0, as it was replacing the driver on the computer with a pre-patched one, instead of patching the driver directly.

Trim Enabler 2.0 however is rewritten from the bottom up in Objective-C, and essensially does the same thing as the terminal command, but as it's Objective-C it can provide much more error-catching functions and feedback to the user.

There is no advantage whatsoever in the terminal command over Trim Enabler 2.0/2.1. Actually the terminal command is more unsafe with future OSX updates because it will not catch any changes in the driver, but Trim Enabler will and will react properly.

Last edited:

ClassObject

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2010
The terminal command was provided as an alternative to Trim Enabler 1.0, as it was replacing the driver on the computer with a pre-patched one, instead of patching the driver directly.

Trim Enabler 2.0 however is rewritten from the bottom up in Objective-C, and essensially does the same thing as the terminal command, but as it's Objective-C it can provide much more error-catching functions and feedback to the user.

There is no advantage whatsoever in the terminal command over Trim Enabler 2.0/2.1. Actually the terminal command is more unsafe with future OSX updates because it will not catch any changes in the driver, but Trim Enabler will and will react properly.

I disagree. The gui - "Trim Enabler", is an alternative to understanding the OS.

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
10.7.4 released

Not working for me in 10.7.4 unfortunately. I click enable, asks for the password and then goes back to off. No change in system report.

(This is on the MP below in my sig)

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
The problem with "clicking the slider, entering password, and slider goes back to off" is because you have to drag the app out of the .DMG first. Otherwise it will not get administrator privileges.

I will add a warning for that.

Oh and Trim Enabler still works fine in 10.7.4. You have to reapply.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
TRIM support is only enabled with Apple's SSDs. This should enable it for all SSDs.

*********g disgraceful of Apple imho.

Charging $600 (or whatever it is) for a $250 SSD and then *making* you buy theirs by deliberately withholding Trim support for any non-Apple SSD. It's borderline blackmail.

The Trim code is exactly the same irrespective of which SSD it is, so they have deliberately written extra code to stop Trim working on non-Apple SSD's. It's not like they just haven't bothered. They have gone out of their way to make non-Apple SSD's perform worse. Disgusting.

mund

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Great Lake State
I had TRIM enables on Apple installed 128 SSD, replaced and lost TRIM... want it back

I replaced my Apple installed 128GB SSD with a Samsung 830 512GB SSD, main drive location.

TRIM SUPPORT: Yes with Apple Installed as built 128 SSD but now shows Trim Support: No with Samsung 830 512 installed.

Thoughts, do I enable?____

If so, since the other drive was enabled, is there anything embedded to just turn on instead of any apps or hacks?______

If not, and suggested I do enable, what is a sound method in doing so?___

Thank You...

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Thoughts, do I enable?____

If so, since the other drive was enabled, is there anything embedded to just turn on instead of any apps or hacks?______

If not, and suggested I do enable, what is a sound method in doing so?___

Thank You...

I don't know whether native Garbage Collection in the Samsung 830 is good enough not to need Trim. My two Crucial M4s definitely need it. You could try with no trim for say two months and check write speeds against your write speeds when new, which is what I did....and found they had more than halved.

So I enabled Trim and have left it on with no trouble and no slow downs.

Trim Enabler had a very bad press when it first came out, but it has been modified since then, so I always use it (after OS upgrades, reinstalls etc), and have had no problems.

There is no built in Trim tool in your Mac just because you had an Apple supported SSD in previously. The Trim enabling feature is there but programmed to recognise only the actual SSD models Apple chose.

mund

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Great Lake State
I don't know whether native Garbage Collection in the Samsung 830 is good enough not to need Trim. My two Crucial M4s definitely need it. You could try with no trim for say two months and check write speeds against your write speeds when new, which is what I did....and found they had more than halved.

So I enabled Trim and have left it on with no trouble and no slow downs.

Trim Enabler had a very bad press when it first came out, but it has been modified since then, so I always use it (after OS upgrades, reinstalls etc), and have had no problems.

There is no built in Trim tool in your Mac just because you had an Apple supported SSD in previously. The Trim enabling feature is there but programmed to recognise only the actual SSD models Apple chose.

Thanks Mike,
I recall reading somewhere that in a terminal window, there is some sort of edit that can be made to enable it through Lion... I don't know which would be the best option, doing that (if I can find it again that is) or the other app/download options that I briefly read about. Suggestions?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks Mike,
I recall reading somewhere that in a terminal window, there is some sort of edit that can be made to enable it through Lion... I don't know which would be the best option, doing that (if I can find it again that is) or the other app/download options that I briefly read about. Suggestions?

If you use the TRIM enabler from post one of this thread, it does the exact same thing as the Terminal commands and will have exactly the same end result.

This was not the case with earlier version of the TRIM enabler app.

mund

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Great Lake State
If you use the TRIM enabler from post one of this thread, it does the exact same thing as the Terminal commands and will have exactly the same end result.

This was not the case with earlier version of the TRIM enabler app.

Samsungs "Magician... " or whatever SSD maintenance software only runs in windows. So no idea what that works like.. It seems that some folks run the TRIM with the 830, some don't. I think I will give it a try with this drive since it came enabled on the original 128.

Thank You for the tip! : )

mund

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Great Lake State
TRIM Question response from Samsung...

This is Samsung's response.... basically, Use TRIM if you can!

Works with "10.7.2" assuming that this means 10.7.3 and 10.7.4 as well... ?

ScreenShot2012-05-14at85115PM.jpg
[/IMG]

Vapor matt

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
UK
Hi, Just a quick question! to anyone in the know. will trim work on 2 raid O SSD drives or is it limited to working on 1 drive only?

Cheers!

Matt

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Hi, Just a quick question! to anyone in the know. will trim work on 2 raid O SSD drives or is it limited to working on 1 drive only?

Cheers!

Matt

I no longer have a RAID0, had to break it due to FileVault. However, when I did, after enabling trim, system profiler showed trim enabled on both drives in the array. Whether this is sufficient proof or not I am not sure.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I don't think Trim has worked for Raid 0 even on PC/Windows. It has been down to the SSD controllers not supporting it, I believe. So the OS might think it's trimming but it's not actually executing. Or something.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
I don't think Trim has worked for Raid 0 even on PC/Windows. It has been down to the SSD controllers not supporting it, I believe. So the OS might think it's trimming but it's not actually executing. Or something.

I know it hasn't worked in windows w/ actual RAID (hardware) controllers. In Mac, however, since it's software RAID, there could be a chance for it to be working. In fact, if you boot into your Mac in safe mode, you could "manually" trim each drive independently (w/ fsck), you see the "trimming unused blocks..." etc message. This has been discussed in this very same thread in the past. So that could be another "symptom" that it works...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.