TRIM Support no longer 'easy' in Yosemite

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Sharky II, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Just in case anyone hadn't read about it yet: http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

As we're probably the most likely folks to add aftermarket SSDs (other than some older MBP guys), this is pretty important to us....

If you're a TRIM Enabler user, Be sure to disable it before updating to Yosemite.

Cheers

Ed

2. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Actually, I didnt disable it when I upgraded, Yosemite put it in a Not compatible folder and I just downloaded the new version

3. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

I disabled it and just upgraded. All went OK. Not sure whether to turn it back on or not, though..

4. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Same for me, it was pretty painless.

5. bin90a macrumors member

So, if I disable Trim then upgrade to Yosemite, what am I likely to find happening to my 512GB Samsung boot SSD with time?

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

If at some point you feel like things are slower than they should be, worry about it. Otherwise.. enjoy.

I didn't have trim enabled for well over a year and it never presented any discernible problems.

7. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

It reduced the speed on my OWC bootdrive under Mavericks, so it was disabled, when I upgraded to Yosemite.
    Still running without it, and laying my hat on garbage collection, even though I don´t know wether it´s working or not.

8. Sharky II, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

I don't believe it's required for owc drives anyhow.

9. macthefork macrumors 6502

I do find it appalling that for a so-called "Modern" Operating System, it doesn't support a now common basic setting for the efficient use of external Solid State Drives. I use two Thunderbolt SSDs as photo editing scratch disks and for other active data work (video). After a week or so, without TRIM enabled, they become noticeably slower. Enabling TRIM causes them to perform like new again.

Apple places Thunderbolt and USB3 ports on their computers. These allow for fast I/O data transfer. Yet, they then cripple the ability of the most modern external drives to take full advantage of these fast features. As far as I know, Apple doesn't make external SSDs. All other major Operating Systems do support this basic function.

By the way, I'm not a newbie with Macs. I've been working on Macs since my first Mac IIci with OS System 6 (1990). This is the first time I won't be upgrading to the newest OS unless this policy is changed.

10. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^I don't know about TB, but on the USB 3.0 ports, Trim is not supported under any circumstances that I am aware of.

Lou

11. hotdog4u macrumors member

don't we need trim for those with 3rd party SSD?....it almost feels like apple to restrict us from using it...probably causing SSD to die faster.

12. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

with TB drives you can "see" the drives as if they were connected to an internal S-ATA port. so yes, TRIM will work if enabled.

13. macthefork macrumors 6502

TRIM does work through Thunderbolt. I've had them set (through TRIM Enabler) on both Mountain Lion and Mavericks. On Yosemite, you have to turn off kext signing in order to enable TRIM, which, besides removing a significant security feature, also introduces instability. That I won't do.

14. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

Full ACK +1

french mac news site macbidouille.com wrote an open letter to Apple about this matter.

http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2014/10/22/trim-une-demande-ouverte-a-apple

https://translate.google.com/transl...2/trim-une-demande-ouverte-a-apple&edit-text=

I wrote to the customer support of SoftRAID http://softraid.com and they said that with Yosemite, they don't support TRIM anymore...

----------

yep, me neither. that's why I bought an Apple/SAMSUNG PCIe SSD, specifically because of Yosemite. I don't want to switch off KEXT signing and I don't want my machine to not boot anymore because I did an NVRAM reset...

15. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I'm not arguing, but I wonder what instability you are having introduced.

16. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

I had instability when I let TE mess with the kext settings after upgrading to Yosemite. After boot, I would get a black screen with just the cursor. I ended up trashing TE, and re-installing Yosemite. No issues since.

17. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Ahhh. I see... Thanks.

18. AidenShaw, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

19. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

20. AidenShaw, Oct 26, 2014

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Try this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing).

Forum bug - when it formatted the clear text URL to a URL tag, in put the /url before the closing parenthesis, corrupting the URL.

The Wikipedia article has objective descriptions of how TRIM works, not (correct) anecdotes from forum members ;)

If you want a lot more detail about TRIM, garbage collection and write amplification, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification

21. DPUser, Oct 26, 2014

DPUser macrumors 6502a

As discussed, Yosemite introduces issues when using Cindori's Trim Enabler. But does Yosemite still allow enabling Trim manually using Terminal?

PS: Aiden, that Wiki page provides the clearest and most concise description of Trim I've seen to date.

22. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

The "Yosemite issues" are not some kind of error in Trim Enabler.
    It is a new security feature in Yosemite that prevents you to modify drivers.
    Hence, the problems described on my website will occur regardless what method you are going to use.
    Trim Enabler will allow you to disable this setting and go ahead and enable Trim. But further issues arise from doing that, all of which is described more in detail on the website.

23. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

All I done was add kext-dev-mode=1 to com.apple.boot.plist and then use trim enabler 3.2.6 and it works fine on 10.10.0.

The newer 3.3 kept rebooting me over and over again

Capacity: 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
    Model: OCZ-AGILITY3
    Revision: 2.150000
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Medium Type: Solid State
    TRIM Support: Yes

24. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

TRIM Enabler V3.3 is working correctly with Yosemite on my 5,1 Mac Pro with two 500GB Samsung SSDs mounted on two Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 PCIe Cards and on my 2012 MBA with a Transcend 480 GB SSD.

Lou