Trip to NYC, opinions please?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr Mot, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Mr Mot macrumors member

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me scrounging some opinions/experience? :)

The GF has treated me to a trip to NYC for my 25th, neither of us have been before and I've only been to the USA once, last year I visited family in Saugatuck and did a lot of MI and Chicago. Really enjoyed it :)

We land on the 26th but at night, so the 27th is our first full day (my birthday)
    We have 4.5 days in total..

I've put a list together of what to do on each day but I guess it's a bit of a rough draft (hoping I've got things grouped together by location)

Thursday 27th
    Rockefeller Centre – top of the rock (maybe pre book)
    Grand Central Station – shopping
    Empire state Building (may not bother with?)

Friday 28th
    APPLE STORE :D
    5th av - shopping
    Madison - "
    Broadway - "

Saturday
    China town
    Little Italy
    Ferry – circle line? 30mins, good to orient self.
    Katz Deli - Seen on man v food.

Sunday
    Ground Zero
    Brooklyn Bridge
    Pizza @ grimaldi’s, brooklyn

Monday
    Anything we missed!!

We don't really have much planned for nights, any suggestions? Neither of us drink but we enjoy cinema and technology, ha!

I hope you don't mind me asking for advice and look forward to natives/previous visitors experiences and suggestions.

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If you were coming in the summer, I would say go get lost in Central Park. But, it's cold right now.

3. Mr Mot thread starter macrumors member

We'd still like to take some of central park in - is that feasible with the weather like it is?

I was going to offer to bring a couple of unlocked iPhones over for members but it wouldn't leave me with enough free cash :(

Looking forward to the Apple store :D

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's a pretty good tourist agenda. I'd recommend skipping the Empire State building but do Top of the Rock. Skip Ground Zero but do the Brooklyn Bridge and Grimaldis. Forget the 5th Avenue store, go to the others. All are in cool neighborhoods to hang out in.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Hit Central Park on the Friday ... you will already be right there anyway. :cool:

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I go to New York all the time, theres a lot to do!
    Like the other person posted, I'd skip Apple - 5th Ave. Its nothing really that special beside the exterior. Right when you get in, its your normal Apple Store that is congested with people checking Facebook. If you do go there, go at night.

Also, does anyone know if that Sea and Air museum on the aircraft carrier is still open? That place is pretty awesome

7. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Washington Square - if you see twin brothers Tic and Tac performing there, stop for a few minutes and check them out. Highly entertaining guys.

Go downtown, then set aside two hours and start wandering north. If you get tired, there are subway entrances everywhere. But it's an easy walk and a fun way to take in the city casually.

8. JulesNYC macrumors regular

While you're near Katz's, stop by Doughnut Plant. Seen in Best Thing I Ever Ate on Food Network. Beware, they close when they sell out of donuts.

I prefer the Apple Store in Soho to the one on Fifth Ave. It's less of a madhouse and in a cooler/hipper neighborhood. Doesn't have that neat, cubed exterior that the one near Central Park has, though. You're not too far from the Soho one (Prince St) when you're in Chinatown.

9. JulesNYC macrumors regular

Oh, and since you enjoy cinema, you should check out the Angelika, Film Forum and IFC Film Center in the West Village. Google them and see what's playing while you're here.

10. Mr Mot thread starter macrumors member

Guys, thankyou for your replies. Really appreciate it!

Especially the food tips. Food is done so much better in the US than over here.

We're staying at the paramount near central park, where's good for breakfast near there?
    I'd like to find a nice pancake house so that the GF can see how good they are, even an IHOPS would do.

I'll just take a look at the exterior of the Apple store on 5th then. Hopefully there are a few best buys about too? I need to pick up an incase slider - they're not sold over here.

I'll hit doughnut plant too, I take it you'd suggest a morning visit?

Skip ground zero, why's that? I'd really like to go and pay my respects..

Couple questions I have, at katz, do I go for pastrami or corned beef or both? ;D haha

Having never used any kind of underground, will I be overwhelmed with the NYC underground?

Jules - thanks for the cinema suggestions, I'll take a look into them :)

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do have breakfast at a NY diner. Diners are a uniquely American (more east coast) experience.

Because there's nothing to see. Sadly, almost 10 years after, it remains a hole in the ground with little construction being done.

12. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Id forget about the Empire State building. I found it to be very anti-cliamtic.
    I think we had to wait in line a good 60-90 minutes for that fiasco.

As long as your in Rockefeller Center, you guys should take in Christies Auction House. Its free, and they usually have things that you would not be able to see elsewhere.

Also, the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space museum is good if your into that kind of thing.

As far as food goes, there is no end of excellent places to eat. Whenever I am up there, I always try and visit the "Pig 'n Whistle". They have the best shepards pie Ive ever had.

http://www.pignwhistlets.com/

13. Mr Mot thread starter macrumors member

I guess I've been up sears, so going up to 86th on the empire state is going to be pretty similar.
    We'll do top of the rock instead then, the views are meant to be pretty good, night or day though?

rdowns, it is sad that they've done nothing with ground zero but I feel I have to pay my respects to the FDNY and those who lost their lives, even if only briefly. We're going to be near by.
    We'll 100% be hitting a diner, nothing better to wake you up than a bustling but happy room full of people and good smells.

Does no one recommend the 30min ferry ride? We've been told not the bother with the statue of liberty either, but a ride past on the ferry wouldn't hurt, would it?

Christies, pig n whistle and museum are noted glocke12, thanks :)

14. Sta macrumors newbie

Sta

St. Marks Place in lower Manhattan

Williamsburg Brooklyn (what is referred to as "the north side") is also a lot of fun but go there during the day first to feel it out.:D

15. Patriiick macrumors member

I will strongly pluss ditching the Empire State for Top of the Rock.
    Queues can be ridiculous at the Empire vs Rockfeller center and the view is stellar, and very good on central park... and yes even at night.

I d stop by the Moma gift shop also, if you dont have time to visit. It s loads of fun and good gifts for family. It s close to Apple Store as well :)

I d strongly disagree on the statue of Liberty, which, imho, is worth a couple hours, even if you dont stay forever on Liberty Island.
    Unless you re an immigrant, or related to one, Ellis Island can be skipped for a future trip.

Go take a look at Wall street, just for the view of the NYSE outside. On your way to the ferries anyways.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Staten Island ferry is worth it. You'll get nice pics of the Statue of Liberty. I don't think it's worth visiting the statue though. Alternately, you can do a boat ride (takes about 2 hours) around lower Manhattan from the South Street Seaport. Gets you close to SoL and great views of NYC and Brooklyn skylines.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Central Park is lovely in the winter though. Also- don't miss Two Boots Pizza!

18. Sta macrumors newbie

Sta

Winter isnt too bad but spring\early summer is the best time, if you can put it off because best thing is just walking around the city.

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

With all the snow that is coming down now, yeah it will be lovely. I just hate bundling up in jackets,etc. I am a warm weather type of person. If it was in the 70's with a nice breeze, that will be perfect weather for a nice walk in Central Park.

20. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

You have to visit the Empire State Building. And bring us some pictures of the erecting One World Trade Center (formally Freedom Tower)

21. oxfan macrumors member

When I was last in NYC in August/September, 1 World Trade Center was about 30 floors tall, it must be double that by now, I believe that 4 WTC is above ground level as well now.

22. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

No museums on your itinerary!? Blasphemy!

Go to the MOMA, the Met, and the Museum of Natural History at the very least.

SOHO, NOLITA, Lower East Side, and East Village are all good neighborhoods to just wander around and get lost in.

Places to eat would be a whole other lengthy topic. Katz is a classic - amazing pastrami. Don't know what your budget is like, but there are plenty of great cheap eats most anywhere you go. Definitely avail yourself of the pizza, maybe visit Shake Shack in Madison Square Park. Check out Momofuku Milk Bar for dessert.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good- I'm so glad it's no longer a hole in the ground. That was so depressing to see every time I went to NYC.

24. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Have'nt been to NY is quite a few years, but a friend of mine loves the waffles/hot chocolate at this place: Petite Abeille

25. Mr Mot thread starter macrumors member

Wow guys, some great tips. Thanks!

We have a decent food budget, around $500. We'll grab cart food if we have to haha.

Seriously, I'm really grateful for all of your opinions and suggestions. You just can't get this from reading guides!