Trip to NYC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G.I. Joe, Sep 4, 2013.

1. G.I. Joe macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

Hi guys,

I'm going to NYC this friday Sept 6th and will stay for a week. It will be my first time in the City. Aside the touristic places I would like to know some of the cool places to visit, go clubbing, etc.

Another point would be apps you recommend so I know my way around and other stuff, not only transportation I mean.

And of course any advice you may find useful.

thanks for the input!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You have to go to America's first pizzeria, Lombardi's. Located on 32 Spring Street, New York....

Gotta love that place. It is a must go I tell all my friends. I know I sound like a brochure, but it's the honest truth.

3. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Embark NYC was a life saver for me when I first visited NYC earlier this year to run the NYC Half. I'd never been in a subway and using this app made it very easy to find my way around.

Beyond that check out the free sights. I had planned on visiting museums, the empire state building, etc but missed all of them. Instead I roamed around Manhattan for 4 days, checking out shops, seeing things as I walked down the road, etc. Had an absolute ball.

4. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

this subway app was awesome, i felt like a new yorker after 24 hours on the subway with this app.

Attached Files:

5. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

I'm going to NYC Friday too, but I only live an hour away and go all the time.

In my opinion, the most essential app to have in NYC is HopStop. Its great for navigating public transportation.

6. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Times Square. There's A LOT to do. I'd recommend visiting Hell's Kitchen (with a camera), America's got talent on Tuesday/Wednesday, M&M world and late night art in Times Square (it's fantastic).

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

In Manhattan, it's impossible not to find things to do or places to go.

For the outer boroughs ... like bklyn and queens, the best places are the non tourist spots, so it's best to know or ask a local while visiting.

8. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

the Highline

the Highline is pretty neat if you want to see a portion of Manhattan from a former elevated train platform.

Some excellent suggestions. I work in Manhattan, you'd think I'd know these things.

9. G.I. Joe thread starter macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

Thanks for the input so far. I now have a bunch of apps. Question now will be which one to use. :p

Any input of the club/bar scene?

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

All of them all the time! The goal is to never look up from your phone the entire trip! :p

11. rhett7660, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Once you eat at Lombardi's make sure to hit Grimaldi's 1 front st. next to the Brooklyn bridge.

Juniors next to time square. Just do the dessert.
    Shake Shack
    Serendipity 3
    Nathan's Famous (coney island trip isn't complete lol)
    Empanada Mama (if you like Sangria's this place has a killer selection)
    Rice to riches (rice pudding)

Make sure to check out this hotel at night or at dusk. New York Marriott Marquis. It is in Times Square and it is killer. The wife and I went here and had a blast. It is a little pricey, but it is a bar that rotates 365 degrees and you have an outstanding view of the city. Make a reservation as you want to be close to the windows to enjoy the views.

You can also do the row boats in central park
    Walk hells kitchen
    Little China Town
    Little Italy

Apps:
    Yelp
    Google Maps (for the subway)

Be prepared to walk and ride the subway. By the X day pass for the subway as it will take you anywhere you want to go really.

Don't know to many clubs sorry.

12. whickey macrumors newbie

what music blows your skirt up?

13. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Bring lots of money! NYC is very expensive. Besides that, have a good time!

14. G.I. Joe thread starter macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

Well Electro would be my thing.

15. whickey macrumors newbie

id definitely check out a club in Brooklyn called Output, its the rage these days and not a bad club

also Cielo in the meat packing district in manhattan is known to have some good nights

also check out Sullivan Room in the village..they have good nights too (although its been a while since I have been there)

pacha is not my scene is a bit too much for my tastes..the other places are more intimate venues..but I can assure you that output in brooklyn has been killing it lately.

16. G.I. Joe thread starter macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

Thanks man. I'm already in Manhattan and will likely hit output today. Also heard good feedback about TBA.

Cheers

17. BookerDW macrumors member

18. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

19. BookerDW, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013

BookerDW macrumors member

Shake Shack? Really? You don't go to NYC and go to a chain restaurant...

If you're in Manhattan, go to Victor's Café near Times Square and get the Lechón Asado al Estilo del Puerto Boniato con Moros y Cristianos...aka suckling pig. It's fantastic. It's a Cuban joint and it's stellar. If you want to pre-game or post-game, go to Gallaghers next door (it feels like you walked into the 40's) and order a Bombay martini with blue cheese olives and make sure to drool at their steak-aging room.

20. G.I. Joe thread starter macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

Since NBA is offseason any chance of getting an NFL game close by?

21. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

You HAVE to go to Coney Island, its right up there in awesomeness with Cedar Point in Sandusky and Kennywood in Pittsburgh for awesome amusement.

You have to ride the world Famous Cyclone roller coaster, and try out the broadwalk food, and go to Nathans.

22. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

They just opened one here in Boston. But yes, I think it's worth it. :)

23. BookerDW macrumors member

No, they don't show football at bars in the largest city in the hemisphere...

...yes I'm sure you can find a bar in Manhattan with a television showing one of the dozen or so games.