Triple booting El Capitan, Windows 10 Pro and CentOS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ohnostopgo, Jan 11, 2016.

1. ohnostopgo, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

ohnostopgo macrumors newbie

I posted about triple booting ages ago, but never went ahead. Now I'd like to give it a try. Very interested to hear from anyone who got all three to play nice on a Mac.

I have a Mac Mini 2012 with an upgraded 1TB SSD drive. Currently it is running Yosemite and bootcamp Win10 Pro, which work great but I miss my Linux. Been using CentOS on another laptop, but really what I'd like is my Mac with three OS partitions and a fourth one for shared data that all of them can access.

I understand the main problem with triple booting is that Windows can't handle enough partitions on a drive, and if I can get the windows partition up to the front instead of OSX, all should be well. Is that right?

Can I use gparted or some other tool to drag and drop the existing partitions? I can run it off a Ubuntu live usb. Seems like I should try to have Windows, then the storage partition, then OSX, then Linux, with each OS's recovery and swap partitions next to it. If I only create the CentOS partition after the others are in place, it gives me some working space on the drive.

Or, I already have the installers for all 3 OS on usb. Can I manually partition the drive 4 ways in OSX recovery and install them by booting off the usbs? Sure I'd have to download the bootcamp drivers for windows, but is anything else wrong with that plan?

I don't mind losing my existing OS installs, but I want to know I've got some chance of success before I spend all day.

About VMs, yes I have tried and they are easy to set up, but the lag is still annoying. Maybe I'm oversensitive about that, but I'd rather get a triple boot working if I can.

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The disk partition limit is MBR not Windows, If you EFI install Windows on a GPT disk the limitation goes away. To me that means installing Windows without bootcamp as it simulates BIOS.

3. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Good advice. Also System Integrity Protection (SIP) has to be turned off in El Capitan because otherwise Linux and Windows (non-Bootcamp installation) will not be bootable.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I you can disable SIP but I think it's reset with an PRAM reset. If I were in your shoes I'd pick the two that I really need installed on bare metal and virtualize the third.