iPhone 5 or earlier Trouble charging my iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Damtoft, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Damtoft macrumors member

I have some big problems charging my iphone 5 especially when is all out of battery. I have to rotate my cable for some time to get a charge symbol and after that the symbol appears and dissapears constantly and the iphone don't seem to be charging.

I have tried to clean the port as much as possible but it dosen't seem to work. Anyone tried something similar and has a working solution? If I can just get the Iphone turned on it will be much easier to charge the Iphone but I have tried for a couple of days now with no luck.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Are you using an OEM charger? If so, it is frayed anywhere?

3. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

If your having to rotate the cable then sounds like you maybe need a new cable.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Could be a bad battery, cable or even charging block. Do you know someone else who has an iphone that you can try their charger?

5. Damtoft thread starter macrumors member

The cable is fine, tried a few different and it is still the same.

Could the battery really be the reason? I will try looking into replacing it if not too expensive.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If you have an Apple store nearby they can diagnose your phone and tell you if it is the battery.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I suggest you go to Apple and see if they can diagnose it. Seems like a hardware failure.

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Might try taking a toothpick and very gently cleaning out the lightning port.

This is a common symptom of a lightning port that's got a lot of cruft collected over time in it.

9. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

sometimes the lightning port gets filled with stuff. I usually brush it out with a small toothbrush and the port gets much more satisfyingly clicky and i don't need to wiggle anymore.

10. TechNismo macrumors 6502

TechNismo

Yes it could be the battery. On my old iPhone 5, and also my friend old iPhone 5, when the battery dies it takes for ever to bring it back to life. Generally I have to hold down the home button and power button at the same time after leaving it on charge for 5-10 mins on the OEM Apple Charger (3rd parties do not work in this case). This usually works. The similarity between both of our iPhone's were that they both had a really crap battery. If you have a Mac, download coconut battery and let us know the wear level of your battery.