iPhone X True 4K HDR experience on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by muasachi, Feb 11, 2018.

1. muasachi macrumors member

Hi guys,

I saw an article mentioned about VLC updated their app to support HDR, even though it didn't mentioned HDR on iOS but I decided to give it a try.
    I downloaded some true 4K HDR files (Demo videos) to the app and VLC is able to play with correct brightness and colors!
    The result is stunning! much better than my Sony LED HDR TV

Perhaps this is the first way to truly see the maximum benefits of watching videos on iPhone OLED display since iTunes Movies decided to support only 1080p HDR.

2. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

Except the X doesn't show 4K. It's scaled down to native res....

3. muasachi thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know. Still, better than upscaled 1080p video from iTunes Store

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's more likely to be the HDR that's making a difference: the X has a vertical resolution of 1125 pixels in landscape which is barely more than 1080...

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I'd be amazed if you could tell the difference in a blind test on that size screen.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

7. mobiletech macrumors member

What you are experiencing is Dolby Vision HDR which not only has millions of more colors than HDR10 it also utilizes dynamic metadata where image be adjusted frame by frame instead of for the entire video like static metadata of HDE10. 4k is also pointless at this size of phone because you would need to watch 6 inches away to see the difference from 1080p.