Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

True Video iPod Soon?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Engadget claims that Apple is ready to announce their rumored video/wireless iPod in the "very near future," which the site takes to mean before the end of the year. According to the report, the much-hyped widescreen iPod would contain wireless connectivity, however which specific technology would be used was not detailed.

Meanwhile, ThinkSecret has gone back and forth on the possibility of the device coming before the new year. While quoting "reliable" sources, Endgadet has repeatedly been off the mark with their Apple phone rumors, which may give insight into how good the site's sources are at Apple (claims of the iPhone in August, fake 'iChat Mobile' pics).

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Yeah, Apple isn't going to sit back and let Zune steal its lunch!

Those who bought the 5.5g ipods lately probably are going to feel bummed.

Comment

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Please Apple, re-orientate the screen so it's portrait, add extra resolution, add icon browsing and surely you'll have a winner. I don't really want a real video iPod, nor with wireless. (unless it's Bluetooth for wireless headphones!) :)

Comment

stevehp

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
It's not a house, it's a home.
Wireless would work well with iTV too. Stream songs right from your iPod through your entertainment system, controlled through your TV with no cables...Heck, the iPod could stay in your pocket! I'm not holding my breath though...Maybe they are trying to get this out before/at the same time as the Zune?

Comment

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Remember when at one event apple announced iTunes 6, then a month later i think it was announced iTunes 7? Well here we are a month later, just about from when apple annnoucned the 5.5g and now the 6g ipod will be announced soon hopefully.

Comment

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Looking at those rumors they got wrong was quite disappointing. I really would love for them to come out with it before Christmas, but if not, I guess I can leave the tree up til MFSF and hold out hope.

Comment

boxandrew

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Oklahoma, OK
I really hope this is true. Yesterday, my iPod started permanently showing the sad iPod icon and there's no way I'm replacing it now with so many rumours around.

Perhaps Apple is selling less of the newly released iPods than they thought 'cos many people are holding off until the iPod Video is released...

BTW - I'm not interested in wireless, just a bigger screen.

Comment

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Well if they do launch it so soon, it probably won't replace the current iPods, but be a new highend model.

Comment

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
boxandrew said:
Perhaps Apple is selling less of the newly released iPods than they thought 'cos many people are holding off until the iPod Video is released...
They can't be bummed since they aren't advertising it. The average consumer probably couldn't even tell it's been upgraded (except for the screen brightness)

Comment

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
hvfsl said:
Well if they do launch it so soon, it probably won't replace the current iPods, but be a new highend model.
I agree, the 5.5 release is too soon to have it be a full replacement. Additionally it will likely be a lot more expensive and an unnecessary extra cost to those who don't need that functionality. Now the question remains however, will there be multiple capacities for the "true video" or just one large on?

Comment

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
Those that bought the 5.5G is going to be similar to the 4G situation when they released the Photo. One'll be the higher end ones (60/120 set), while the other'll be "music-oriented." That, with the lowered prices and Zune release, you got a concoction Steve Jobs sees as "all in the money."

Hell, we remember last year's new nano release followed up in just months by the iPod with Video.

Comment

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
thejadedmonkey said:
They can't be bummed since they aren't advertising it. The average consumer probably couldn't even tell it's been upgraded (except for the screen brightness)

Hey now, don't forget games, search feature, and alpha transparency letter scrolling :rolleyes:.

No, I think that this was just a stop gap to keep demand up at least a little more while they get the real update ready for market. However, I don't think that real update is coming until at least January, unless this last update was really just to get rid of excess components. But then, I'm with those who say the new update will be released above the current model's price point, not as a replacement (though that would be a few too many models for Steve to think we could comprehend).

Comment

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
generik said:
Yeah, Apple isn't going to sit back and let Zune steal its lunch!

Those who bought the 5.5g ipods lately probably are going to feel bummed.
yea i would be bumed if i paid for an ipod software update too.

Comment

Rocketman

macrumors 603
longofest said:
Nope... we're thinking this will be a totally different iPod product, separate from the normal iPod or the nano or the shuffle.

On the wireless topic, isn't there a faster or larger range or higher bandwidth Bluetooth now?

If they would only make it about 3/16" thicker, the hard drive could have double the platters.

Rocketman

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.