Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaypatel3192

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
Looking for a trusted iPhone sim unlock site. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Looking to unlock an iPhone 6S+ currently on AT&T

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Looking for a trusted iPhone sim unlock site. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Looking to unlock an iPhone 6S+ currently on AT&T

hi

have not found any (not any) that can be recommended.
its a very strange industry (the unlocking business).
most of them are just fronts, leaving the actual unlocking to a few companies, mostly in china.
and, few of them actually guarantee an unlock but of course take your money upfront.
and fewer would ever refund it if for some reason your phone can't be unlocked.
att may be much easier to unlock. so ymmv.
i was trying to get a japan soft bank phone unlocked (before the japanese government mandated companies to unlock phones after a certain period) until then soft bank phones were notoriously more difficult phones to unlock and expensive to do so. in the end, neither of the companies i paid money to could unlock it. it was a painful yearlong process that they strung out that made it clear they were just taking the money.

of course have bought unlocked iPhones directly from apple ever since.

ifanme

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2014
macforums
hi

have not found any (not any) that can be recommended.
its a very strange industry (the unlocking business).
most of them are just fronts, leaving the actual unlocking to a few companies, mostly in china.
and, few of them actually guarantee an unlock but of course take your money upfront.
and fewer would ever refund it if for some reason your phone can't be unlocked.
att may be much easier to unlock. so ymmv.
i was trying to get a japan soft bank phone unlocked (before the japanese government mandated companies to unlock phones after a certain period) until then soft bank phones were notoriously more difficult phones to unlock and expensive to do so. in the end, neither of the companies i paid money to could unlock it. it was a painful yearlong process that they strung out that made it clear they were just taking the money.

of course have bought unlocked iPhones directly from apple ever since.

http://theofficialunlocks.com/

They have been offering Japanese carrier unlocks since 2 years. Trustworthy and a good customer support.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
the site you listed has this specific clause in its fine print:
THIS IS A PREMIUM SOFT BANK JAPAN SERVICE WHICH MEANS THE PHONE WILL NOT WORK WITH OTHER JAPAN NETWORKS AFTER UNLOCK.
endquote
meaning: this "unlock" will allow you to use any SIM when used outside of japan. when used in japan it can still only be used on soft bank.
this is an unlock called "White ROM". it doesn't result in what is generally called an "Unlocked phone".
it is useful only when you want to sell your phone to a person who wants to use it on the same domestic network as you have used it.
as i have said: they ALL scam you.

also:
this is a different macrumors thread that poster ifanme has participated in:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/officialiphoneunlock-co-uk-is-it-legit.1412419/page-2
i recommend reading through this thread for more info on so called "trustworthy" sites.

Last edited:

ifanme

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2014
macforums
the site you listed has this specific clause in its fine print:
THIS IS A PREMIUM SOFT BANK JAPAN SERVICE WHICH MEANS THE PHONE WILL NOT WORK WITH OTHER JAPAN NETWORKS AFTER UNLOCK.
endquote
meaning: this "unlock" will allow you to use any SIM when used outside of japan. when used in japan it can still only be used on soft bank.
this is an unlock called "White ROM". it doesn't result in what is generally called an "Unlocked phone".
it is useful only when you want to sell your phone to a person who wants to use it on the same domestic network as you have used it.
as i have said: they ALL scam you.

also:
this is a different macrumors thread that poster ifanme has participated in:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/officialiphoneunlock-co-uk-is-it-legit.1412419/page-2
i recommend reading through this thread for more info on so called "trustworthy" sites.

Premium unlock means the services for the phones which are not capable to unlock in normal services because of their unpaid, blacklisted, blocked imei status like if you see the description of swiftunlock in att service it clearly states in premium service.
"If Device blacklisted [lost/stolen/fraud] it is supported in this service. (will work outside of USA only once unlocked)".. So in premium services the phones are not allowed to be used in the same country but they are allowed to use worldwide with all the other carriers because of their imei current status.
secondly if they have clearly mentioned in the description of premium service the phone will not work in the same country then how they are scam you. one should read all the basic rules of the service before they are ordering with these unlock sites.
the thread you mentioned is about a particular uk site "officialiphoneunlock.co.uk" which isn't related to the site I mentioned. I recommended on the basis of past experience as I never have had any issues while ordering with them, but it all depends on the priorities to which particular site you prefer or use and if we are not satisfied with the particular site or service we should be entitled a full refund.

Reactions: 2macarena

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Premium unlock means the services for the phones which are not capable to unlock in normal services because of their unpaid, blacklisted, blocked imei status like if you see the description of swiftunlock in att service it clearly states in premium service.
"If Device blacklisted [lost/stolen/fraud] it is supported in this service. (will work outside of USA only once unlocked)".. So in premium services the phones are not allowed to be used in the same country but they are allowed to use worldwide with all the other carriers because of their imei current status.
secondly if they have clearly mentioned in the description of premium service the phone will not work in the same country then how they are scam you. one should read all the basic rules of the service before they are ordering with these unlock sites.
the thread you mentioned is about a particular uk site "officialiphoneunlock.co.uk" which isn't related to the site I mentioned. I recommended on the basis of past experience as I never have had any issues while ordering with them, but it all depends on the priorities to which particular site you prefer or use and if we are not satisfied with the particular site or service we should be entitled a full refund.

couldn't agree more.

1 read absolutely last bit on the site. of course...
2 google it every which way you can to see who is recommending what company

good points for everyone to follow. absolutely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.