Try to think realistically, will the iPhone 6S make you jealous?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I have always been on the S cycle since the 3GS and always envied how my fellow iPhone users got to enjoy the brand new design of the 4 as well as the brand new design and LTE of the 5. I could've hopped on the iPhone 5S but decided to wait a year and finally get off the S cycle. I couldn't be more happier with my iPhone 6.

Realistically speaking though, do you think you will be able to resist the temptation for the iPhone 6S? The A8 was only a modest increase in speed (25% CPU, 50% GPU) when the A5, A6, and A7 all doubled the power of the previous chips. I also believe they will upgrade the RAM to 2GB following the footsteps of the iPad Air 2. Lastly, I think camera technology will improve so they mak ethe camera sit in flush with the body.

To all you non-S cycle users, is it relatively easier to withhstand the pressure of upgrading? Because it was real tough as an S user to see the body style change.

2. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

No, I don't see them making the camera flush. The S-models don't really focus on cosmetic changes. It will be a new CPU in the same iPhone 6 shell.

I don't care about higher raw computing power because none of the apps I use or have even seen, take 100% advantage of it. Maybe Asphalt 8, but I think that game sucks. iMovie might, but 9 out of 10 times I'd rather edit on my Mac.

2GB ram will happen but it's not a deal breaker for me. Higher MP camera I can see too. Jealously? No.

3. Menel, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I have always resisted the temptation. The 4S didn't make me bat an eye. I had a fleeting desire for the the TouchID of the 5S, but it passed shortly.

The brand new design of the 4 + Retina.
    Brand new design of the 5 + LTE.
    Were both huge design plus feature updates.
    This year the 6 new design + NFC/ApplePay. Very cool.

There will be zero regrets when time comes for the 6S, there never has been.

Speed is not important. The A6 is plenty fast for all mobile apps. A7 and A8 are overkill. An A9 won't have me drooling. Though less Safari and app refreshing would be nice from 2GB RAM, it's not enough to lure me.

Camera sticking out is a non issue. Never has been.

Aside from 2GB of Ram assuming 6S gets it, it'll be a boring release.

4. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

5. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Unless they change the body style. I thought it was never possible until the iPad Air 2 changed the body style one year after the Air 1.

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

Not really. I only get tempted with design changes.

7. its Dale macrumors 6502

Only if they come out with a gold w/black front

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Ipad 1 to 2 changed
    2 to 3 changed
    3 to 4 same (short 6mo cycle)
    4 to air change
    Air to air 2 change

iPads have mostly changed yearly. That was expected. IPad has changed body over every 1 year cycle.

9. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Looking forward to bumping this thread in 8 months.

10. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

pretty much how i feel.

11. Imory macrumors 6502a

I don't see that happening though. They make too much money on keeping the same manufacturing process two years in a row. The iPhone is a much greater market and cash cow than the iPad.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I usually wait 18-24 months to upgrade my phone. Just because Apple releases a new phone doesn't mean I have to buy it.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Pretty easy to resist.

I resisted the 5c, the 5s and the 6 and 6 plus. Why?

Because I have a Black/Slate iPhone 5. The last model to come in black and not space gray.

The 5c is plastic and has no option for black. The 5s does not have black and no compelling features to motivate me to buy it. And the 6 and 6 plus are downright ugly (IMO). Considering the path Apple has taken lately, I see no reason that the iPhone 6s would attract me at all if Apple continues down this path.

Looks matter most to me. And none of the iPhones since the 5 have had it, although the 5s has come closest.

Let's not talk about where Apple went with it's multi-colored unicorn puke iOS since version 7.

14. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Naw...Just work the upgrades with the family plans and update every year.

15. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

nope I upgrade every year so I've had every iphone, no jealousy here.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Each new iPhone is better than the last, so unless you upgrade yearly you will be in the same boat whichever 'cycle' you are on.
    The advantage of the non-S phones is that they share the same casing and aesthetics, so the non-S models look 'current' for two whole years.

17. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Realistically, no. The existence of another phone will not make me "jealous".

Jealousy has to do with worrying that someone will take something you have.
    A new phone will not suddenly take my 6+ away.

I also would not be envious (which is wanting something someone else has) since if I wanted it, I would just buy it.

18. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I've never felt jealous of S-Cycle phones. It's just a faster phone with some improvements in the same shell. Nothing about the 5S made me hate my 5 when it was release. I think I'd be more likely to be jealous, if any at all, if I was on the S-Cycle, as after only a year a new form factor would be released.

For example, if you're a die hard iOS user who's been wanting a bigger display and you have a 5S with 2 year contract, then life's gonna suck with everyone walking around with 6 and 6 Pluses for an entire year.

19. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Not really, I am wondering if they'll be any small cosmetic changes though as in the 5 and 5S were different colours (I know there were reasons for the change).

----------

Your definition of jealous might be a little wrong then. :p

20. CEmajr macrumors 601

No jealously because i'll just buy it next year anyway. The way that the carriers have changed their plans now easily allow for upgrading every year if you desire. That forced to wait 2 years stuff is archaic.

21. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

I think the iPhone 7 is the model that will take it for everything! 6S is just a "supercharge" version of the 6. It will be like 50% faster and have a couple of things added to it too. Maybe bigger battery?, upgraded screen to 401 p.p.i., fill in the top and bottom on the back to cover up the antenna separators. LOL! Yes, I guess it will make you jealous! LOL!

22. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

23. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Anything new especially with all the kinks resolved from the 6/6+ will always makes me want the 6S even more so.

24. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

it really depends on what they do with it.

if they add something really awesome... well then i'll just get it! that's why i went with next vs contract this time.... so I can choose my upgrade cycle....