Trying to decide...help a girl out!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aimeeinohio, Dec 8, 2010.

1. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

OK I am trying to decide whether to get:

an iMac & an iPad

:apple: OR :apple:

a Macbook Pro

I am in art school. My dearly beloved almost 7 year old HP laptop has DIED. I do Photoshop work, lots of photos, stuff like that.

What say ye, Apple fans?:D

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If you like playing with PS, then you need a full blown machine.

3. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Seems like you would be better served by a MBP. That way you can take it with you to/from school and have the ability to use PS and any other programs on the fly. The iPad would suffice for most email/browsing/etc, but is not gonna help you with PS.

If you're worried about portability, get a 13" MBP and spend a couple hundred bucks on a nice flatscreen monitor for the house. :apple:

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Can you be more specific? A MacBook Pro can be had with 8GB RAM and a Core i7 processor with a discrete NVIDIA Geforce 330M GPU.

5. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Need a pic to help you decide :D kidding!

seriously, MBP would be great for you!

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

In school, I would go with the notebook. In general, it is fairly powerful, certainly enough for your needs. You can take it around, which is always nice, just in case of a project that requires you to take your work away from your desk.

That's not true. I used PS CS4 on my computer for a while and it worked beautifully.

7. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I've no intentions of doing actual WORK on the iPad! LOL I loved having the lap top to be able to surf the web, emal, etc,etc, on the couch, which is why I was looking at the iPad. :p

I need to run CS5 for school work. I need a mchine that can handle it, and handle it well, and I do need something portable...I was wondering which would be better cost wise...

8. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

lol:d

9. Meric macrumors regular

I'd go with iMac & iPad...orrrr.. how bout an iMac & MBA ?

10. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

12. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I have CS4 on a 2.4Ghz MBP that is 2.5 years old with 4GB of RAM and it runs fine. I would imagine a newer MBP would have no problems with CS5.

A 13" MBP can be had for ~$1,000 (entry level) if you shop around a little. The cheapest iMac is $1,200. An basic iMac + basic iPad is gonna run about $1,800. For that much you could pretty much get a 13" MBP, beef the RAM up and get a decent monitor to have as a bigger workspace -OR- you could get a 15" MBP.

13. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

I run CS5 Master Collection daily. You'll be MORE than fine with a MBP. No need to get an iMac just for that.... these machines are more than able to handle CS5.

14. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

Are ya buying?? ;) LOL I WISH I could afford it all, but I have these things in my home called TEENAGERS. LOL

15. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

So tell me what i would need in it as far as hard drive, memory, etc....

Ya gotta remember I've been PC all these years...;)

16. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Get an SSD for sure. Thats the way to go. And ram.....4 is good but if you can afford 8 get it

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

MacBook Pro, since an iPad can't do photoshop at all :eek:

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Being a college student that also frequently uses PS, I would recommend a MBP (which is what I have)..it's powerful enough to get the job done, and portable so I can take it to class with me or wherever I happen to be going.

19. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

A new bare bones MBP will come with a 250GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM. I suggest a Firewire external drive for additional storage and of course if you can afford to upgrade the RAM go for it. Honestly though, you shouldn't need either of those add-ons initially (unless you already have 200+ gigabytes of media waiting to move onto it).

SSD is nice but is still relatively pricey for what it offers (especially for a student and parent on a budget) so I don't think its the most practical choice for the OP.

20. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I would get 8GB of RAM from somewhere like OWC (Having an upgrade on the RAM directly from Apple costs a wee bit too much to be practical), a 7200RPM drive or SSD would be beneficial too - personally I like my 500GB WD Scorpio Black.

21. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah a 7200 or a 7200 Hybrid is the way to go :D

22. FCPcutter macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro hands down.

I'd suggest a 13 inch and a 24 inch monitor... you get the tiny laptop for traveling and the big honkin monitor for PS work.

23. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Like most fellow members who had responded to this thread, I'll highly recommend going with a MBP. :)

However, if the OP doesn't mind, maybe she can tell us what her budget for this purchase is. In that way, we all can better offer her our suggestions in order to help her make the "best" decision (not only in terms of which machine, but also related/relevant accessories). :)

24. davidlv macrumors 65816

I would second that suggestion to get more RAM if you can afford it, 4GB will work, but if you do go for 8, definitely buy it from a third party and install it yourself, maybe install a Hitachi 500GB HD at the same time. OWC has RAM cheap and will take your old RAM, making it even cheaper. They also have a wide selection of HDs too, I personally have had great luck with the Hitachi 500 GB 7,200 rpm and the Seagate 500 too. Bad experience with a WD Scopio Blue.
    Installing the stuff is easy enough, steady hands and a Philips Head #00 screwdriver and a Torx 6 if you install a HD. Be careful with the tiny screws, they are prone to fall and roll off a table! If you are careful it's really only a 10 minute job. Instructions in the manual that comes with the MBP.
    If at all possible, go to an apple store and check out the size of the machines as well as the Glossy/Anti-glare option and the High res option, which ca be too small for some folks (personally I like the standard Glossy 15" MBP best). Some folks like the huge 17" and even carry it around all the time. A friend has a 13" 2010 and it is sweet too, small but VERY usable.
    Ah.... decisions!!!:eek:

25. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

Approx $1500..........student loan overage the end of Feb/beginning of March :D ...unless someone would like to donate to the help a starving mommy artist fund!!:p:p:p