Trying to decide if I should return my 17" MacBook Pro I bought?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smiller4128, May 15, 2012.

  1. Smiller4128 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #1
    Well I just went out a couple of weeks ago and bought a 17" MacBook Pro. I use it mostly for just Internet, emails, Vuze...bought also got it cause I'm an engineering student and at some point intend to put AutoCad onto it...as well as Diablo 3 if I can get my hands on it today :) I went out and bought 16GB of Ram (Excessive I know but it was only $100 for Corsair so I got it) anyways I've installed it and this thing runs like a dream. There's nothing it can't tackle and I love the big screen on it.

    However, with news of the new MacBook Pro's possibly being announced at the WWDC and with Retina Display and USB 3.0, I'm wondering if I'm better off returning it and just waiting. I bought it from Best Buy and have 45 days to return it for a full refund with no questions asked (Silver Member benfits). So I'm just trying to get some opinions and see what you all think? Am I best to just keep it and enjoy it (which I currently am) or should I return it and wait for the new MacBook Pro relaease with Retina Display and USB 3.0?
     
  2. ken94538 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2011
  3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    #3
    If you have 45 days, hold onto it for couple weeks and see what happens.
     
  4. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    Location:
    Colorado
    #4
    I thought you only had 14 days to return...
     
  5. therealmrtee macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #6
    I just returned mine after a week of use . . .
     
  6. user418 macrumors 6502a

    user418

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    #7
    All the news releases today seem to indicate that the new units are very close to introduction. I'd probably return it and wait a few more weeks to see what happens. Will be very interesting to see what the final products look like.
     
  7. Trance macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #8
    do yourself a favor and return it or face buyers remorse my friend.
     
  8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Location:
    FL
    #9
    If you return it don't be disappointed if the 17" does not come out till the fall or well after the 15 and 13.
     
  9. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern Cal
    #10
    1st World problems
     
  10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

    ugahairydawgs

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    #11
    That's if you buy it from Apple. OP got it from Best Buy and is RZ Silver. In that case the return window is 45 days.
     
  11. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

    Xcallibur

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2011
    Location:
    Manchester
    #12
    Got to love living in the developed world! :p
     
  12. henry72 macrumors 65816

    henry72

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #13
    You're lucky that you got 45 days to return it. The best thing to to is wait for the WWDC and see what's going to happen :D

    The best thing for your case is you don't have to wait without a Mac to use :)
    Just return it when you got your new MacBook Pro :)

    I can't wait!!
     
  13. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

    GuitarG20

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2011
    #14
    you've got time to return it, so i would wait until you know what the next generation is like (you'll probably know soon) and then go from there.
     
  14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #15
    Actually, RZ Silver it's now 60 days.
     
  15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

    ugahairydawgs

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    #16
    Has that started already? I thought that was effective 6/1.
     
  16. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #17
    Ahh, you may well be correct and I may be jumping the gun :). I knew it had increased, didn't realize that it had a timestamp attached to it. Thanks for pointing it out.
     
  17. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2011
    #18
    The new MacBook Pro computers are going to make the previous generation look like garbage. Return it as fast as you can.
     
  18. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #19
    RZ Silver is pretty sweet. Use something for a month and return it. :p

    Nope, it still 45 days.
     
  19. ixodes macrumors 601

    ixodes

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Pacific Coast, USA
    #20
    Impulse buyers ....
     
  20. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #21
    But dont the 17" MacBoo Pro's already have some sort of high quality or higher definition screen that say the 13"? Not sure if retina would really benefit it or when it would be coming out for it for that matter right?
     
  21. underblu, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

    underblu macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #22
    The new 17" MBP with Ivybridge processors will likely show a real world average performance gain of 10% - 15%. For GPU intensive programs ie: games, that performance gain will likely be a bit greater 20%+ based on the Nvidia graphics processors utilized as compare to the current ATI/AMD cards .

    The open question is whether Apple will update the form factor of the 17" for this update to go along with the slimmed down 15" and 13" MBP. How will that look, what items will be removed to create the slimmer profile: Hard Drives, Optical Drives in favor of SSDs. Will the express port, Firewire and ethernet port stay in this update or will they be removed in favor a USB3 and Thunderbolt

    As far as a higher resolution displays, 220dpi on a 17" screen if available would likely be very costly. The 17" is already hi res so how much of a resolution boost Apple will give the 17" remains to be seen.

    What's not debatable is that a new MBPs will get ivybridge mobile chips and those MBPs with discrete GPUs will get new nvidia GPUs.

    Anything else at this point is just speculation.

    If I needed a computer now I would be happy to live with the 11' 17" MBP for the next few years based on my needs. However if I could wait for the update I would wait.

    If I was buying a 13" MBP, I would find a way to wait it out. There is a strong likelihood that the 13" MBP will get an ivybridge quadcore chip and and a much needed higher res display ivybridge and the new integrated graphics engine will yield a significant real world performance gain on many applications of 50+% over the current 13" MBP
     
  22. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    #23
    THIS is just speculation.
     
  23. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #24
    Well I have another week or so to make a decision but it'll be a tough one. Not even sure if the 17" will be updated like you guys said cause it sounds costly...
     
  24. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #25
    No credible information was ever published on possible cancellation. Beyond that, you should do your research before buying :p. I tend to tell people if they're asking if they should wait, it depends on if they have a functioning machine or this is a truly immediate need.
     

Share This Page