Trying to decide if the new iPod touch will be worth it

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ahrenba, Aug 25, 2008.

1. ahrenba macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I currently have a 16gb iPod touch and have been watching the rumors of the new iPod touch.

I am debating whether to sell my iPod and buy the new one comes out.

What do you think the chances are that it'll have some major feature upgrade that will make it worth it?

What would you do?

EDIT: Also, what is the chance of a price drop? How much?

2. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I'm in the exact same position as you. For me, its going to take 32 GB at $300 to make me budge. Try doing what I plan on doing: Keep a close eye on rumors for when the iPod event will take place. We usually know when its going to happen. Set up an auction on eBay, and have it end at, say, 8 or 9 pm the night of the event. So once the event is over, you will know what the new iPods are, and you can either let the auction go through or cancel it if you don't want the new iPod. People who follow Apple closely will not try to win the auction, because they will be aware of the new iPods, but the casual person, who will be bidding, will likely have no knowledge that a newer, better, and cheaper model was just released a few hours prior, and you will be able to get more for your iPod then you should and be in good shape to get the new one. If your iPod is in good condition I think you could possibly get $200 for it. I think $100 to double my memory is worth it. Good luck :apple:

3. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man. Looks like sources are pointing to Sept. 9th for the Apple/iPod event. I am not sure if Apple will do a $299 32GB, but possibly a $299 16GB would be more reasonable. That would be awesome if they did though!

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/25/apple-event-for-september-9th/

So, it's pretty close. I have to decide soon.... I wish I knew if there was going to be a major feature addition such as GPS. That would push me to buy the new one.

4. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Yea 16 for $300 would be worthless. Why sell a 16 GB for $200 then buy one for $300? If the rumors from the Digg guy are true, the only thing coming to the Touch other than price differences is "small cosmetic changes", which is not worth $100. We'll just have to see though, everyone said last year that there was no way Apple would put Wi-Fi on the Touch, and they did, so who knows. But there's no harm in setting up the auction, like I said, you can always cancel it before it ends.

5. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that's true. But I think if they put GPS in the iPod, that would probably be worth $100 to me IF they allowed REAL GPS functionality where you could map routes and get turn by turn directions.

And I think I could get a little more than $200 for my 16GB on eBay.

6. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

I would wait until September 9th. Then do your deciding after then. If they release something you don't like, at least you can get current-gen iPods cheaper through the refurb store.

7. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

The thing is that I already have an iPod Touch 16GB and my dilemma is if I should sell it or not.

8. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I doubt that, you would need to get lucky. Look at the prices on eBay, Touches sealed in their original packaging are barely getting $200, a used one probably won't.

9. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Dude, I don't know what you are looking at. Are you looking at the 8GB models?

I have been researching the prices on eBay and sealed 16GB models are going for $320+.

Look at the completed auctions, not the ones going because the price usually jacks up in the last couple of minutes.

10. Shot22 macrumors regular

First of all, logic and rumors both point to a price drop for the iPod touch to at least $199. This will make it so the iPod touch isn't more expensive than the more advanced iPhone.

Personally, I think the chances of a major revision are low. Since it is only the second generation, I doubt they'd make a lot of changes. Remember that the second-generation iPod nano pretty much just got a slight design change. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the same thing happen with the iPod touch. Another piece of evidence--if it can be called that--pointing toward minor changes is that Kevin Rose claimed that there would be "cosmetic" changes to the iPod touch.

However, some big changes aren't inconceivable. A speaker, for example, would be awesome. But, on the other hand, GPS seems highly inprobable. First of all, GPS is basically what makes the iPhone 3G unique (aside from the 3G, of course), so Apple probably wouldn't want to create competition for it. Also, GPS on an iPod would not really be that useful unless it were turn-by-turn. Overall, I'd expect something more modest.

Nevertheless, I think it would be a good idea to sell your iPod touch now and buy the new one when it comes out (hopefully at a significantly lower price).

11. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I stand corrected.

I say follow my original advice. Like I said, you will get max value for your iPod. If you like the new releases, you can continue your auction and use that money towards your new one. If you don't like the release, you can cancel your auction and no harm done. Seems like a logical way of doing it that will result in you getting what you want (and no I'm not talkin bout GPS :p) Hope it works out for you, and me lol, since I'm taking my own advice :rolleyes:

12. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, it seems probably that the new pricing would be something like:
    8GB - $199
    16GB - $299
    32GB - $399

We have to remember that Apple is getting a BIG subsidy for every iPhone from Apple. I don't know if they can go much lower than that on the Touch and still generate a decent profit. Idk though.

This is tough! Damn it Apple. I wish your iPods had longer product cycles!!!

@sportsfrk214

:) I'll probably end up doing that. However, I was hoping to do a buy it now, so we'll see. :)

13. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Hmm. Well then yea your taking a bit of a risk. But hey, what fun is life without taking chances lol :p.

14. macwall macrumors 6502

im going to sell mine and see what happens. i still have an old ipod video so hey it's all good

15. Shot22 macrumors regular

You make a good point about the subsidy. But remember: "Twice as fast. Half the price." is Apple's iPhone 3G slogan. In other words, they act like the iPhone is $199, even though that's not the real cost. Therefore, the iPod touch has to be put in line price-wise. However, there is another distinct possibility: an memory bump instead of a price drop. If that happened, then then the cheapest iPod touch would presumably be 16 GB for $299.

16. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

My only problem with the 16Gb being moved to $300 is the fact that the 16Gb iPhone is $300. Yes, I know that the iPhone has a service contract that drives the price up to over $2000 over 2 years. But I think that the average, ignorant consumer doesn't think long term, they think in the moment, and in the moment they see what a 16Gb iPhone can do for $300 and what a 16Gb Touch can do for $300, and they grab the phone. Does that make sense to us? Of course not. But I've seen many consumers shop that ignorantly. 32Gb for $300 gives the consumer an incentive to pick up the Touch.

17. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Well, yes, in a sense they would. However, you can't just "grab" the phone. Apple/ATT forces you into a service contract when buying the iPhone.

18. Shot22 macrumors regular

Oh, yeah. I completely missed that. Well, then, all signs point to a $199 iPod touch.

19. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Damn, I really wish I knew if any features were going to be added.

Has there been any other rumors besides GPS or a speaker?

20. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I understand what you're saying. You're also looking for backlash from the iPod Touch side. People might be unwilling to justify buying a $300 16Gb iPod Touch when it does less than a $300 16Gb iPhone. You're right with what you said, I just think that people who aren't as knowlegdeable about Apple products as we are might look at a $300 16Gb iPod Touch and say the price isn't right.

21. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I think GPS and speakers are more wishful thinking than actual rumors. I don't think an official source such as MacRumors has ever posted claims by so called "people in the know" regarding GPS and speakers. I think it's just people saying they want those things.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmmm. So how about $250 for a 16GB Touch?

23. agargar macrumors member

I don't expect any new features besides a better battery (the same as in the Iphone 3G).

A mic would be great, in order to use it as a wifi-telephone :)

24. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I ALWAYS skip one generation before buying again.

There is never any substantial jump worth buying subsequent generations of any Mac product, and third generations would be prudent. I've purchased new iPods every two years in September - Classic 2002, Classic 2004, 4 GB Nano 2006 when I realized I never needed so much space and a clunky old mechanical drive, and 16 GB iPod Touch 2008 (when they update) because I want the apps/wireless/video/mail/etc. In general I buy a new Mac tower every 4 years, because the updates after 2 years are never quite enough to make a new tower worthwhile, and I get new laptops every 5 years though the technology gets clunky in the last year.

You should really wait another year and save the time, money, effort, everything. Most likely the new iPod will have some new, lovely features from the iPhone, and more memory for less price, but don't expect it to carry you on flights of angels.

25. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

If you're going to sell your iPod, I would strongly recommend selling it NOW while prices are still in the same range. I'm assuming that your iPod is in good condition and that you have good EBay feedback rating, so can get good market value for your iPod (~$280 to $300).

Once the new iPods come out, it will definitely have an effect on the older iPod prices on EBay. A new 16GB iPod Touch with perhaps a couple of minor additions could be released for $299 (that's my guess) and if so, 1st gen 16GB iPod Touches are obviously not going to go for near $300 anymore.

Often this sort of thing is not worth it, as the previous poster pointed out. But I think most people are predicting a significant capacity bump due to falling flash memory prices. So the prospect of trading your old iPod Touch and getting a brand new 2nd gen iPod Touch (with perhaps new if not earth-shattering improvements) for almost break-even is a pretty good one.