Trying to decide on RAM for Early 2011 13' Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by trudeljb, Apr 19, 2012.

1. trudeljb macrumors newbie

2. 24Frames macrumors regular

Nothing much to choose between them.

Having said that I would buy the Crucial, directly from Crucial. That way you can buy it using the selector based on your MBP model for additional security.

Make sure that you have the correct screwdrivers for the job. Otherwise you need to order those as well. Don't try to remove the screws without the correct screwdriver it could be disastrous!

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I also would buy form crucial. Crucial is highly recommended and one of the better products out there. That being said there is not much difference, RAM is RAM more or less.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any phillips or flat head head screwdriver that is small enough to fit will work. Not really sure why you're worried about it being a "disaster." The screws come out very easily.

5. 24Frames, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

24Frames macrumors regular

I'm not worried, it is not my computer!

However I have done a RAM upgrade on an MBP 17 (early 2011), and the screws are very small. If you don't use the correct screwdriver you run the risk of damaging the screw heads which could make it impossible to get into the case.

It seems prudent to use the correct tools for the job given the cost of the hardware.

Edit:
    I am pretty sure that the correct screwdriver is a Philips #00.
    Apple may have moved to using smaller screws in the early 2011 updates.
    Here is a link to show you how.
    http://pc-internet-zone.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/how-to-upgrade-macbook-pro-ram-memory.html

6. trudeljb thread starter macrumors newbie

A friend of mine had told me that he never bought anything but CoSair, but from what I've read on here it either 1) doesn't matter what brand you buy, or 2) everyone seems to trust Crucial with their RAM.

I should be good with installation. Thanks

7. charliex5 macrumors regular

I've upgraded RAM a few times and it's no big deal. On my 13" I had a small screw driver set and one of them fit. Not sure what size it was. I usually just browse newegg for what I want and read the reviews to make sure it will work with what I've got.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

One reason to recommend Crucial is that they let you pick your exact Macintosh model and will sell you the appropriate RAM for that exact model. So you don't risk recommending something and then it turns out to be the wrong memory.