Trying to figure out why I should jailbreak my iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Tuckmonster, May 4, 2010.

1. Tuckmonster macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me why I should jailbreak my iPad???
    I have jailbroken all of my phones and I see the cool/benefit in that, but why the iPad? Could someone list some cool things the jailbreak will provide for the iPad... Will cydia offer customization for the iPad? Somebody fill me in, thanks.
    I have a wifi iPad if that makes a difference

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Right now if you have a 3G you can use 3G unrestrictor and use your iPad as a wifi hotspot. If you don't have that then there are SBSsettings, probably a multitasking app, customization and no doubt more.

Why do it? I don't see the need myself, the phone is important because I use MyWi. For now I think if I jailbreak it would to have multitasking.
    Search around the iPad forums for more neat stuff resulting from jailbreaking. Sometimes it just takes a little research to see if something is right for you.

3. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

4. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Multitasking is what a lot of ppl are saying. It's coming in OS 4 so no biggie

5. Tuckmonster thread starter macrumors regular

6. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Here are the reasons I like it...

Multitasking: being able to listen to Pandora or otherr radio apps whole browsing the net or working. Een if you don't use those, it's still great to switch apple and have your main app maintain it's current state, such as a webpage in Atomoc
    Browser or Settings if say you change something, want to check it's effect and then go back to settings in the exact spot you left off.

SBSettings: being able to adjust the brightness while in any app or have free memory displayed in the status bar or turning wifi on and off.

Easier access to apps: Theres an app called Overboard that shows you all your pages of apps all on one screen so you don't have to scroll thru all the pages. Faster and much easier to find an app.

By the way, perfect example of why jailbreaking is awesome. While typing this reply, I forgot what the Overboard app was called so I was able to exit Atomic Browser, go check, and come back to Atomic and continue my writing. Without jailbreaking, my whole reply would have been lost.

7. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

The general rule of thumb is if you have to ask, you probably don't need to jailbreak.

8. AIRniloc macrumors regular

AIRniloc

+1

9. supermanx macrumors member

Biggest benefit I've gotten so far is being able to keep gotomeeting and/or jump sessions open and switch to another app. Without jailbreak I would have to re-join meetings and reselect the computer i was rdp'ed into. Some gotomeetings I only need to listen to the audio, so that allows me to use the ipad for other activities while still listening in the background.

10. xraytech macrumors 68030

+1

11. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Sounds like most of the jailbreaking is due to multi-tasking. I suppose OS4 will put the jailbreakers out of biz. Unless of course you want some funky backgrounds and icons.:p

12. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

But then how much are you really paying attention to those meetings? ;)

Jk +1 for jailbreaking - it's great, I do it on my phone and will do the iPad once they perfect it a little more.

13. HXGuy macrumors 68000

OS4 looks like a gimped version of multitasking. They allow..what was it..8 instances for developers to put multitasking into their apps? If it doesn't fit those 8, then it won't be able to multitask. Plus, each developer will have to release an update for their app to support multitasking...apps that the developers no longer update will probably be out of luck.

Jailbreak allows all apps to multitask and do it in the real way...keep running while you do something else, not but it in some hibernate sort of state. Yes, Apple's way does preserve the battery better...but I think sparing 1 hour off 10 hours of battery life is worth the advantages.

14. MrMorden macrumors member

MrMorden

+1

I just jailbroke my iPad via jailbreakme.com, and installed backgrounder and circuitous. After five minutes, I regret not having done it before!

15. 3282868 macrumors 603

I use it for applications such as Natatalk, which allow me to wireless access my iPad on my local WiFi network through my Mac Pro's Finder. I can drag and drop files directly to the device, transfer media, etc. As well, along with my desktop systems, I like to customize my applications and dock.

I never liked the silver 3D dock on Leopard/Snow Leopard. I've changed all my docks to a black glass surface, allowing the glowing "orbs" under open applications to be more apparent. I've done this for many of my clients and friends who never even realized there were indicators on the dock. I still don't know why Apple hasn't fixed such a silly issue.

Otherwise, "jailbreaking" your iDevice allows one to have full control over the device, and with developers now beginning to implement Flash (aka "Frash") into the iPad and iPhone, iOS4 for the iPad won't end jailbreaking.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, everything the guy above me stated :)

16. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Multitasking, SBsettings, categories, categoriesSB, infinidock and Themes (I like myself some icons beside the default Apple ones, which I find ugly). And iFile, this is a swift program.

17. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Theft of service or theft of apps. The only reason really.

18. SA22C macrumors regular

You're not wrong, but on the 'theft of service' claim, you'll excuse me if I don't shed a tear for those poor telecoms who don't get the ******** tethering surcharge.

19. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

So am I a chump if I don't jb? Wouldn't I lose all my paid :apple: apps?

20. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

Simple answer, no to both questions...

21. pooryou macrumors 65816

Many posts above yours indicate otherwise.

22. I WAS the one macrumors 6502a

I WAS the one

+1

Even that Apple will introduce multitasking it will not be the same. Sbsettings will not be theere and that alone worth every penny of jailbreak.

23. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

And I'm sure the sum total of posts in this thread representing 'legitimate' uses for jailbreaking equals about the sum total of those who do NOT jailbreak for theft of service/apps too.

24. pooryou macrumors 65816

You're sure? Got a reference to back that up? Genuinely curious.

25. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet