Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinakerberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2016
Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to flash a GeForce 6800GT 256MB in my PowerMac G4 Digital Audio. I've made a floppy disk with nvflash and the ROM on it, yet whenever I try to give the command "nvflash -4 -5 -6 -j 6800GT 2120m.rom" to flash it with the ROM I have it returns the error that the firmware image filename must have a valid extension. What is wrong with this file? Thanks.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to flash a GeForce 6800GT 256MB in my PowerMac G4 Digital Audio. I've made a floppy disk with nvflash and the ROM on it, yet whenever I try to give the command "nvflash -4 -5 -6 -j 6800GT 2120m.rom" to flash it with the ROM I have it returns the error that the firmware image filename must have a valid extension. What is wrong with this file? Thanks.

being DOS I think file names have to be less then 8 letters long (inc the extension I Think? not sure there)

try renaming the Mac ROM to something like 68GTM.ROM :)

also always make a back up of your PC Cards rom you could name it 68GTPC.ROM or so :) (and of course re-name it again to something better once its on a modern OS)

Reactions: AphoticD

kevinakerberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2016
Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA
being DOS I think file names have to be less then 8 letters long (inc the extension I Think? not sure there)

try renaming the Mac ROM to something like 68GTM.ROM :)

also always make a back up of your PC Cards rom you could name it 68GTPC.ROM or so :) (and of course re-name it again to something better once its on a modern OS)
Ok, I tried that and I now have a different error message: “unsupported code type: 0x01. FCode Support deprecated.” So I think that fix the file name issue, but now it’s complaining about FCode support.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Ok, I tried that and I now have a different error message: “unsupported code type: 0x01. FCode Support deprecated.” So I think that fix the file name issue, but now it’s complaining about FCode support.

try nvflash 5.13, thats the version I have used IIRC. but yeah modern versions of nvflash dont support flashing PPC ROMs sadly.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Flashing nVidia cards, in my experience, is often a matter of finding JUST the right version of nvflash, and it can be a bit of a headache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.