Trying to install Tiger on 2005 Mac Mini ppc

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Trekker2014, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Trekker2014 macrumors newbie

I just bought an old, late 2005 Mac Mini off ebay and having a helluva time trying to install Tiger on it. It did not come with any software. From my MacBook Pro, I put the mini in target mode and re-partitioned and formatted the hd with the option for PPC, so it would be sure to boot. I've tried booting from an .ISO cd with the "c" key held down to boot from the optical drive but so far all I get is the standard folder and ? staring me in the face. The model # is A1103.

I'd also like to know, with all the install disc versions of Tiger out there, which is the correct one for this particular mini?

Thanks.

2. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

It originally came with 10.4.2. My bet is that without some firmware trickery, you have to find a System Restore Disc for that mini.

3. Trekker2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been looking all over ebay for one...so far have only found other versions.

What kind of firmware trickery would you suggest?

4. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

What kinds? NONE, unless you absolutely 10,000% know what you're doing. Search Macintosh Garden and maybe someone has uploaded it there. I've seen a few restore discs uploaded there before.

That being said, it's likely illegal and I'm not providing any links even to the site. Or, to put it in other words, we can't help you.

5. Trekker2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not asking for any illegal sites. I'm just trying to figure out how to get Tiger installed on this Mac Mini.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

Retail Tiger was released in 10.4.0, 10.4.3 and 10.4.6 flavours. Just search the bay for the latter. That will install on any PPC Mac capable of running Tiger.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Alternatively, one could install Tiger and then run the 10.4.11 combo updater in Target Disk Mode.

8. weckart macrumors 68040

He would need to get hold of a G4 based PPC Mac to do so. His MBP will not install the correct code nor boot from a retail 10.4.0 disc.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The combo update is PowerPC specific but updates the whole install. I am not sure if the MBP could install the file from here to the target drive.

10. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

11. tampasteve macrumors 6502

One could also pick up a cheap iBook G3/4 on Ebay for not much more than the cost of OSX Tiger usually. Clone the iBook to the Mac Mini and be done with it.

12. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Depending on what Mini you have it would of been shipped with 10.3.7 or 10.4.2, so it does depend on what version disc (as previously said 10.4, 10.4.3, 10.4.8) and you have and what mini you have (early, mid or late 2005).

Also you cant boot off a CD holding 'C' you would have hold option and wait to see if the CD over firewire is recognized.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'm going to take what may be a controversial stance upon this issue. Apple gives away OS X for free nowadays. So just pirate OS X Tiger, I doubt anyone will care and Apple isn't losing a thing from it.

14. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Interesting point. However, while Apple does give away OS X 9 and 10, they do not give away older versions of OS X. One must still buy other OS X versions from them if one needs them. Further, it has been known that on occasion one can still buy 10.5 from Apple via telephone if one asks kindly and gets a helpful rep.

That said, it could be reasoned that the machine would have come with restore disks, so finding a version of 10.4 that would have come with the machine would be OK.

But I would still personally use and recommend the most clean way of going about this.

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Apple don't even sell Tiger anymore. Or at least, not as far as I'm aware. The machine came with Tiger restore discs so it is already licensed to run a copy of Tiger. Buying Tiger again as far as I'm concerned is not a must.

16. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Right, all I am saying is that the reasoning that Apple gives away 10.9 and 10.10 for free so it is OK to pirate 10.4 is flawed as they do not give away other versions of OS X, just the most recent two.

But I agree, since it would have come with 10.4 installed and the restore disks it would probably be OK to find the same version it would have come with.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

While Apple may give away current versions of OS X without charging, third party licenses in older versions do not allow it with their licenses. A transactional fee must still be tendered to satisfy the third party licenses.

18. weckart macrumors 68040

Interesting point. Question is, what constitutes a licence in the case of Apple hardware? Does it reside with said hardware and is transferable with same or is it contained in the accompanying paperwork that nobody reads? Lose that and you are unlicensed?

Microsoft makes it easier. Licences are evident with a valid COA sticker on the hardware. Sometimes OEM vendors (Dell, Lenovo) even store the licence keys in the SLIC tables in the bios. If you lose your installation media you can purchase replacements for a nominal fee from several OEM vendors or alternatively download a digital copy from one of Microsoft's servers.

19. tampasteve macrumors 6502

From the OS X License:
    So, as I read it, the license resides with the single computer it is installed with at any given time. In this case the issue would not be downloading a copy, as the computer in question would be the only one using it, but the issue would rather be that there is a copy of the OS available on a network where multiple computers are using the same license.

----------

It really may be worth calling Apple support and just seeing if they have any restore media available....probably not, but you never know. Just explain to them you need to reinstall the OS on your Mac Mini and don't have the disks. It is worth a try, IMO.

20. weckart macrumors 68040

Worth asking as if you don't ask, you don't get. I do remember a post or two here in the past to the effect that after a certain time (7 years?) Apple not only refuses to sell or provide machine disks but destroys all remaining copies.

Bummer if true.

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It had to be longer than that as when I called in 2013 for my 2004 PowerMac G5 they had disks but I didn't have the need then to get one. When I called back this year they did not have any (or the person who was not to bright did not know where to look).

22. weckart macrumors 68040

Interesting. How much were they asking for them if they said?

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It was like $16 if I recall correctly and that was for a copy of Leopard. I find it a bit odd as my Mac shipped with Panther and later Tiger however.

24. weckart macrumors 68040

OK, I take from this that only retail copies rather than grey machine specific copies are available from Support?

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am not sure exactly. The representative said "restore media", but there was no Leopard PowerPC restore media.