Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trekker2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Depending on what Mini you have it would of been shipped with 10.3.7 or 10.4.2, so it does depend on what version disc (as previously said 10.4, 10.4.3, 10.4.8) and you have and what mini you have (early, mid or late 2005).

Also you cant boot off a CD holding 'C' you would have hold option and wait to see if the CD over firewire is recognized.

Yes, have tried that and the only disc it would boot from was Snow Leopard which of course is an intel version and won't work. Have ordered restored discs specifically made for this mac mini...hopefully that will solve the problem.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Hmm. Sounds like he was confused and was looking at Macbooks and the like. Still, I'll give support a call and see if it can dig up restore discs for my TiBook.

Trekker2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Here is an Amazon link to Tiger 10.4.6
which should do the trick.

That won't work either. Remember, the hd on this mac mini was wiped clean. The link above says it requires 10.3 to upgrade from in order to install it.

----------

Yes, have tried that and the only disc it would boot from was Snow Leopard which of course is an intel version and won't work. Have ordered restored discs specifically made for this mac mini...hopefully that will solve the problem.

Edit: I also tried the Option feature.....it did not show any recognized hd's to boot from. What I would get is two icons...on the left was one that refreshed the screen...the one on the right was a right arrow that when clicked did absolutely nothing. Had never seen that screen before.

----------

That won't work either. Remember, the hd on this mac mini was wiped clean. The link above says it requires 10.3 to upgrade from in order to install it.

----------

Edit: I also tried the Option feature.....it did not show any recognized hd's to boot from. What I would get is two icons...on the left was one that refreshed the screen...the one on the right was a right arrow that when clicked did absolutely nothing. Had never seen that screen before.

and before you say it...yes I made sure the hd was ready for install by re-partitioning and formatting it (with the PPC option checked) but putting it in Target mode.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Nope. Retail disks are full install disks. 10.4.2 was the last release bundled with PPC Macs. Any retail disk 10.4.3 or newer will boot and install on any PPC Mac capable of running Tiger. What you get with the restore discs and missing from the retail disc are: iLife, iWork (trial version), OS9 Classic support and a few bundled applications plus the Apple Hardware Test for your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.