Trying to play BF3 with Parallels 8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qpiqp, Sep 4, 2012.

1. qpiqp macrumors member

Hey,

I've been trying to play BF3 with Parallels 8 but I keep getting stuck joining a game. It brings up the little pop up from the server browser that tells me I am joining and then it even tries launching the game, but then eventually the game just closes and nothing happens. From my understanding, BF3 needs dx10 to work, but I thought that Parallels 8 introduced dx10 (even if it is experimental).

Also, I am working with the Retina MBP with 16gb ram so I was wondering what would be the best configuration of CPUs and RAM and such to allow Parallels to use.

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Did you update the game? New patch was released today.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Try doing bootcamp.
    You will never get the full strength from running virtual machines.

4. Drask macrumors regular

You will get better fps if you run in on Nintengo 64.

No but seriously, battlefield is already pretty demanding, trying to play it over a VM just sounds crazy.

5. qpiqp thread starter macrumors member

I did update the game thanks for asking.

As it is the retina macbook pro I don't have the hard drive space for bootcamp. Also, parallels 8 is supposed to be pretty powerful so I think it may be able to pull it off, I think it is just dx10 that holding it back. Anybody have any ideas besides "bootcamp", or any similar experiences?

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

New GPU. Does parallels even support DX10? It may be powerful but it ain't native powerful like booting into Windows. You can probably play valve games in parallels but BF3 is very demanding. More so than Crysis actually. Good luck.

7. SlyMac macrumors 6502

It really doesn't matter how powerful parallels is. You are splitting resources, so you are playing on half a machine.

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

And Parallels drivers. That can make a huge dent.

9. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Mac laptops and gaming = fail. They get way too hot and their performance is mediocre at best.

I love my Mac's but I learnt many moons ago to get a PC for gaming. A $700 PC would run it better than a rMPB

And under parallels.. do you like slideshows?

10. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Ha Ha. Is that why Razer just released the "Worlds first True Gaming Laptop" with same specs as Macbook Pro?
    http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade
    A GT 650 is same chip as GTX 660. Especially when you overclock. Which you can do on a Macbook in Windows. No dif. Laugh at Laptops in general but a Macbook will pummel most PC laptops when booted in Windows. No contest.

11. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I would avoid Parallels 8 to play games. All of the plugins and drivers just don't function as great than using Bootcamp and running 2 operating systems will utilize for resources to ruin the gameplay experience. Also, since you created a partition for Parallels 8, why not just delete it and form a Bootcamp partition instead? As for not being able to play, you probably need the latest Punkbuster software, reverify integrity of game cache files, or possibly Parallels can't support such an intensive game.

12. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Parallels just creates a single image file. You shouldn't need to partition.

13. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Im telling you here buddy, tried and doesnt work.
    Even with Bootcamp, its laggy on medium settings.

If you really want to play BF3, get a console or buy or build a gaming PC.

I have i7-3960X on my gaming PC, it may not be cheap, but it runs great.

Even a AMD Phenom II runs fine.

14. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Lol

The graphics cards are the same chip - correct but they have been binned according to their performance. It's like a lucky dip with GPU's you may be able to overclock it but you can guarantee the heat will increase.

Overclocking in a laptop. Are you serious? You have just paid close to 3k for a piece of technology with no user serviceable parts. If you fry that GPU, you can kiss the logic board and any other components goodbye also.

And as for warranty - no amount of Applecare will save you there...:D

15. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

The GT650M in the rMBP is already factory overclocked with higher clocks than a stock GTX660M. Not only is the Razr not any powerful than the rMBP, but it has a TN 1080p screen, mechanical hard drive, plastic body, worse speakers, is thicker, and costs more. The first true gaming laptop™!

Although no current or announced PC laptop have a super high-res display like the rMBP, I'm sure the upcoming Asus Zenbook U500VZ, which has similar specs, will be a much better choice than the Razer, which is a total ripoff IMO.

16. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

New MBPs play BF3 in Boot Camp just fine. No performance issues at all. Hardware is catching up for sure now.

17. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I think you may be over-thinking this a bit. I agree that purchasing a Mac with the sole intention of gaming isn't the best idea, but if you want to game occasionally - why would you go out and get another machine when you could simply dual-boot your Mac, or better yet run the game natively in OS X? It just makes more sense than purchasing an entire Windows-based gaming desktop or laptop, no matter how low the price is compared to the Mac laptop itself. It's significantly cheaper and more efficient to just partition your drive if you need to in order to run the game you're trying to run.

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Laggy because you're playing it on native resolution?

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

They do get hot, which isn't good for frequent use, but even the 2011 models were deemed game-worthy, and Portals 2 does run rather fast on mine... but I don't often play games, just an Amiga emulator in my Parallels XP session...

20. evilpaddy macrumors regular

No. DX9 only when I last looked

21. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

On battlelog, it says you should try right clicking the game on origin and selecting "repair install"

22. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

I don't think gamers care about a laptop that can't even support its native resolution in its native OS. Anyways the 660M in the razer already has the 650M beat by the vram

23. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You are kidding, right? How exactly is Apple going to know that you overclocked it? Do they even have terms against overclocking?

24. leman macrumors 604

What does that even has to do with DX10? The core problem with gaming performance in an VM is that it is forced to use Apple's GPU drivers, which are at least 25% slower for gaming than windows drivers.

Also, you don't have space for bootcamp but space for a VM is fine? You do realise that the space demands are the same for both, don't you? I recommend you putting windows on a bootcamp partition and either run it natively (for gaming) or via the VM (if you need OS X and Windows at the same time). This way you get the best of both worlds (Parallels can run the VM from the bootcamp partition).

----------

Who cares about the VRAM? The GPU is not powerful enough to be able to use lots of VRAM productively anyway. The rMBP runs modern games adequately on 1920x1200/1680x1050 which is more then enough for a 15" screen. And the native resolution argument is pointless when you have a 220 DPS screen - it does not matter which resolution you select, it will be virtually indistinguishable from a respective native resolution screen.

25. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I guess Im confused here but you have to install windows using parallels so wouldnt it take up the same amount of space as bootcamping it???