trying to retrieve files from mbp with dead screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oshie, Aug 19, 2010.

1. oshie macrumors newbie

i have managed to get my old mbp to turn on, but the screen is dead.
    i booted it up in target disc mode and i'm reading it on my NEW mbp through firewire.
    but when i go to get the folders i need and transfer them, they each have a little red circle on them. it says i don't have permission to see the contents.

because my old mbp's screen is dead, i can't change my permissions settings on there...

is there any way i can retrieve this stuff from my old mbp and get it onto my mbp?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Do you have an external hdd lying around?

4. oshie thread starter macrumors newbie

the second display doesn't work. using an hdtv and nothing comes up.

5. oshie thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i do. what's your idea?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why? Doesn't it come up? If it doesn't then it's your GPU than went bonkers.

7. oshie thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i think that's the problem. everyone i've seen with this dead screen problem has had no luck with a second display. so that's probably the case.

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Pop open the enclosure and your old MBP. Switch out the hard drive in the enclosure for the one in the MBP. plug it into your current MBP. You can change the permissions and copy them off of the drive.

9. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

10. oshie thread starter macrumors newbie

what is VNC?

oh, like sharing the desktop. wouldn't i need use of both displays to be able to do that?

11. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

If you have a busted GPU then VNC would be useless, I would think. Am i right?

12. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

If the screen is dead or disconnected (hardware), and Mac OS X is up and running, then VNC would work. The other monitor or display does not need to be on for VNC server service to work.

I'm not totally sure how Mac OSX Graphics Display deals with dead GPU. Would the OS X stop dead in its tracks, or continue to load Graphics Display services (such as X11).

If Mac OS X is up and running, another alternative is SSH. this gives you command line access to change folder permissions. You can google chmod 777.

13. djpuma macrumors regular

Why has no one mentioned target disk mode.

Find another mac, plug a firewire cable between the two. Boot up dead mac and hold the "t" key

The hard drive will pop up on the other mac like an external hdd.

If you video is dead and the display out is dead you probably have an old mbp from 07 08 with the bad nvidia card, take it to apple for a free logic board replacement.