Trying to understand why I spent ~$450 on an Apple Watch

xxray

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I got it mainly for the health and fitness reasons. But now I’m kind of wondering why I spent this amount of money just to get notifications on my wrist and something that keeps track of my heart rate.

it’s worth it if it keeps me working out and more fit. But how long will that keep working after the novelty wears off?

Am I missing something?

Reactions: user_xyz

gigapocket1

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2009
I got it mainly for the health and fitness reasons. But now I’m kind of wondering why I spent this amount of money just to get notifications on my wrist and something that keeps track of my heart rate.

it’s worth it if it keeps me working out and more fit. But how long will that keep working after the novelty wears off?

Am I missing something?
it just depends on how serious you are about working out.. Its the wanting to close your rings every day.. To get particular badges and reach certain milestones that makes it work while. Competing against friends and also just wanting to keep track of everything on my phone. With keeping track of every meal, protein/caloric intake/water intake, throwing in the miles I’ve ran or the core workout and etc. and seeing how my heart rate is improving over time.. It makes it worth it..
the notifications are the bonus.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Each to their own but me not having a watch for nearly two weeks has been torture for me...Wednesday can’t come soon enough when my series 5 arrives

Reactions: xDKP

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
For me, it is worth it not to carry my phone with me everywhere. The Fall Detection is another reason.

I am an IT manager. I am constantly on the go throughout the day. The ability to get messages, calls and email without my phone, and to answer them all, is a HUGE thing for me.

Last edited:

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I have an iPad, a MacBook Pro, and an iPhone, but the Apple Watch is my most fun toy. My AW 5 is stainless steel and cost almost twice as much as yours. I don‘t work out, just swim occasionally. If you dot enjoy the wealth of information and novelty offered by the watch, you should return it.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
As someone who has had an Apple watch for a few years, I ask myself this from time to time, but the biggest benefit IMO besides the health and fitness aspects are that it is is easier to use the watch for quick replies/calls, weather and seeing the, you know...time, rather than grabbing for my phone. Especially, since phones have gotten larger (I use the XR), I might not carry it all the time where as the watch is always on me.

Reactions: shakopeemn

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Am I missing something?
If that’s all you are doing then you probably should have got the series 3 at £199. I am very dependent on my AW after using it for 3 years but was very sure I wanted one before I bought it. You sound like it’s probably not for you.

Reactions: Otflyer

Donnation

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
OP, just return it. It’s been out for several years now and if you weren’t aware of what it did before you purchased it then that’s on you. No one here can help you if you don’t see the value in it. Many of us do but you obviously don’t so you should just take it back.

On a side note it always irritates me when a friend or family member asks me if i like my Apple Watch and I tell them I love it. I’ve had a couple of relatives get upset that they spent the money on one, thinking it was some magical device that was going to change their life. It’s a watch first and foremost that does a ton of things that myself and millions of other people see great value in. If you don’t, that’s ok, but don’t complain about it if you don’t see the use for it. Just take it back.

Mabus51

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
I barely use any of the fitness features as I tend to forget to turn workout on, auto on was just a battery drain. I mostly use the watch to get work calendar notifications and monitor my heart since I do have AFib. But even with that the watch is pure novelty. Aside from fall detection, there is nothing else it does that the phone can’t handle. A regular watch never needs to be upgraded and these watches are pretty much toss in the trash after two years or see what Apple is willing to give you for it after two years.

I no longer advocate getting the expensive versions either. The resell value with these is piss poor. Just get the aluminum ones. They hold up pretty well. My 4 is the first aluminum version I bought and it still looks as good as it did when I bought it. The mineral screen vs the sapphire screen debate is negligible. The sapphire Apple uses is barely stronger the the mineral Apple uses. It’s not true sapphire crystal and it’s hardness scratch resistance doesn’t even meet true sapphire as can be witnessed in numerous YouTube videos.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
I didn't get a watch until S3 and I almost returned it because it felt like an expensive toy. Not I can't imagine not having it. Give it some time during your return window. It's true a lot of things you do with the watch you could do with your phone but it's just so much more convenient with the watch.

Reactions: throAU

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I COULD do everything with my phone that I do with my watch. But the watch is often the better tool for the job - running/work outs being the best and most obvious example (among many).

that said, I don’t think it’s a device everyone needs, so maybe it’s not for you, OP. depends on your lifestyle I think.

Reactions: throAU

HuskerHarley

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln
I recently had a Heart Attack. Does the AW always monitor the heart rate or do you have to activate an app and leave it on to get the benefits? Does it sound or alert an alarm when the heart rate is Low/Higher than normal?

bpeeps

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2011
Well, no one really NEEDS a television either. An Apple Watch offers way more practical value than that.
Lots of people need TVs, film and television is a huge industry alone. Guess how we preview all the work we're doing, a TV. If we didn't have them, I'd probably be out of a job. TV's are great for business presentations, conferencing/networking/teaching, news/education consumption, they aren't just recreational devices.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
I recently had a Heart Attack. Does the AW always monitor the heart rate or do you have to activate an app and leave it on to get the benefits? Does it sound or alert an alarm when the heart rate is Low/Higher than normal?
It doesn't constantly measure your heartbeat if you're not doing a workout but it will periodically measure it and you have a history you can view. I know it will generate an alert if your heartbeat seems high and you don't appear to be exercising.

perezr10

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Lots of people need TVs, film and television is a huge industry alone. Guess how we preview all the work we're doing, a TV. If we didn't have them, I'd probably be out of a job. TV's are great for business presentations, conferencing/networking/teaching, news/education consumption, they aren't just recreational devices.
Weak argument. You can’t conflate industrial use with consumer products.

If you want me to spell it out for you, OK. Watching Netflix isn’t that important and yet people spend a lot of money to put a television on their wall.

Donnation

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I barely use any of the fitness features as I tend to forget to turn workout on, auto on was just a battery drain. I mostly use the watch to get work calendar notifications and monitor my heart since I do have AFib. But even with that the watch is pure novelty. Aside from fall detection, there is nothing else it does that the phone can’t handle. A regular watch never needs to be upgraded and these watches are pretty much toss in the trash after two years or see what Apple is willing to give you for it after two years.

I no longer advocate getting the expensive versions either. The resell value with these is piss poor. Just get the aluminum ones. They hold up pretty well. My 4 is the first aluminum version I bought and it still looks as good as it did when I bought it. The mineral screen vs the sapphire screen debate is negligible. The sapphire Apple uses is barely stronger the the mineral Apple uses. It’s not true sapphire crystal and it’s hardness scratch resistance doesn’t even meet true sapphire as can be witnessed in numerous YouTube videos.
You are wrong on the screens. The aluminum screens scratch much easier than the SS and other higher end versions. There isn’t even a comparison. The aluminum body also scratches much much easier than stainless steel. It’s not even a comparison on how much more durable the SS version is compared to the aluminum watch.

Mabus51

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
You are wrong on the screens. The aluminum screens scratch much easier than the SS and other higher end versions. There isn’t even a comparison. The aluminum body also scratches much much easier than stainless steel. It’s not even a comparison on how much more durable the SS version is compared to the aluminum watch.
Here you go, judge for yourself. The sapphire crystal Apple uses is not true sapphire is weaker than normal sapphire and scratches at almost the same resistance as the ionX glass used in the aluminum version.

mcl5000

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Totally agree about the durability. I have a Series 1 that I've worn literally every day since it came out and I don't notice any scratches on it...hardly even microscratches in bright sunlight. I exercise, do woodworking/fabrication/construction, yardwork, play sports etc in it, and it's still in perfect condition.

That being said, I've gone through a couple bands cuz they got gross...But the actual watch is holding up remarkably well given that I've worn it for 1k+ straight days now.

Reactions: Mabus51

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Here you go, judge for yourself. The sapphire crystal Apple uses is not true sapphire is weaker than normal sapphire and scratches at almost the same resistance as the ionX glass used in the aluminum version.
Have you owned an apple watch with the sapphire display? I'm curious only as to whether you have direct personal experience with this or are relying on what you see on youtube / read on the Internet.

I've owned S2 & S3 in aluminum and an S4 in SBSS.

With a year's usage, my Aluminum watches ended up a bit scuffed and dinged, with many fine scuffs on the edges of the display.

My SBSS watch is pristine, like it just came out of the box. No visible scuffs or wear on the display.

Sample size of one, sure, but plenty of other people claim similar experience. There is a difference in the screens. At least outside of someone trying to scratch them to get hits on their YouTube channel with clickbait titles like "Scratching the $1300 Apple Watch"

bpeeps

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2011
Weak argument. You can’t conflate industrial use with consumer products.

If you want me to spell it out for you, OK. Watching Netflix isn’t that important and yet people spend a lot of money to put a television on their wall.
That distinction wasn't made in the original comment. The statement "no one needs a TV" is plain and simple, false. And that's what I responded to. If an over the top generalization wasn't what you meant, then you should choose your words more carefully. 😘

Mabus51

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Have you owned an apple watch with the sapphire display? I'm curious only as to whether you have direct personal experience with this or are relying on what you see on youtube / read on the Internet.

I've owned S2 & S3 in aluminum and an S4 in SBSS.

With a year's usage, my Aluminum watches ended up a bit scuffed and dinged, with many fine scuffs on the edges of the display.

My SBSS watch is pristine, like it just came out of the box. No visible scuffs or wear on the display.

Sample size of one, sure, but plenty of other people claim similar experience. There is a difference in the screens. At least outside of someone trying to scratch them to get hits on their YouTube channel with clickbait titles like "Scratching the $1300 Apple Watch"
I’ve owned 3 Stainless Steel Apple Watches the S0, S2, & S3LTE. The S4 is the first Aluminum I’ve owned and I’ve noticed other than weight no difference between the two especially so as far as toughness is concerned. Now that the backs are all ceramic with sapphire bottom. Only difference is the front. These watches aren’t collector items or heirlooms, hell most of my clients I deal with on a day to day basis that are multi-millionaires only buy the aluminum watch now. In the beginning we all bought into the stainless version then by the 3rd release our opinions all started to change. Mostly on resell value, at the end of the day the watch is worth nothing where the phone has some resell value. Apple only offers a $25 difference on trade in with them as well.

edit: If Apple allowed you to upgrade the SOC every year where the chassis is the same. I’d buy an Edition version in a heartbeat. But as it currently is the Stainless is nice looking but value is out of wack.

Last edited: