Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
For me, the exercise tracking and features came last. I appreciate many other conveniences it offers. Being able to read and dictate a text message mid stride without having to reach for my phone. Being able to scribble or use a quick reply during a meeting without being rude and a ee who’s calling. Controlling my HomeKit accessories while my phone is charging in the bedroom. Shazamming a song from my wrist, controlling my Apple TV, getting directions on my wrist while driving and tapping me for the next turn at work (the cars do not have navigation), using it as an emergency communications tool (cellular) in case my phone dies or bricks (has happened) checking notifications (Reminders), ability to track a lost phone or iPad from my wrist and getting directions to it (Device Locator), taking a quick note and having it displayed as a complication (Cheat sheet), looking up to me of my many passwords (Last Pass) etc... After I used it for a while, I began playing around with some of the gym apps and then I realized how bright this watch shines. A lot of various apps out there that you may find useful.

Of course everyone’s use case varies but as long as Apple makes this watch, I will continue buying it.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
For everyone arguing about the durability of SS vs aluminum...the SS does have one major benefit over the aluminum: the SS can be polished back to near-new condition. I have had a S0 and S3 SS and a few minutes with a Cape Cod cloth pretty much erases all those fine scratches and scuffs. Can't do that with aluminum. Also never had a scratch or chip on either screen.

Having said that, I am going with titanium for the AW5 mostly because I love the METAL OF THE GODS.

And to the OP...obviously the Apple Watch is not for you. Return it.

Deihmos

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
I struggled with this for a while. I think apple priced the watch too high but people are buying them so you know the price will just continue going up. I honestly don't see the value in the heart rate monitor because you can get much cheaper devices that can do that for far less. My neighbor loves his watch but I am not seeing the value at this point.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
From my perspective, I think some simply can’t afford the Apple Watch, they purchase it knowingly it’s not really in their ‘budget, and they’re not exactly sure if they want to keep the watch, being it doesn’t meet their expectations. These types of threads surface every year in the iPad/Apple Watch/iPhone forums, and if you have to question yourself why you should want it in the first place, then just return it and move on to something that’s cheaper, lesser alternative.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yeah the watch is great for homekit too.

If you have homekit devices, being able to adjust light brightness, etc. from the watch without having to yell out to the nearest homepod or fish out your phone is nice. Typically use the watch for controlling lights in bed if i've been reading or whatever and want to turn them off.

brianric

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
I literally depend on my Apple Watch as a reminder to take my various medications. I have a blood thinner and beta-blocker that I have to take twice a day. I have two Parkinson's medications that I have to take four times a day. I use the app called Medisafe. If I forget to take my medication at the time I'm supposed to I'll receive a notification on the watch. To me, the watch has been a godsend. Someone asked me what would I do if I didn't have the watch, told the person I would end up missing taking the medications. That's a big Bozo no no when afflicted by Parkinson's. I have two watches, a series 4 and series 5. I wear the watch 24/7, one is always on the charger ready for swap out night and day.

Reactions: Brien and Kermit262

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
If you don't feel comfortable buying the latest AW and you're not in love with it don't force yourself and just return it.

Now if you really want an AW but don't wanna spend so much $$$ you can always looked for a second hand device, most of them - except series 0 and 1 - would work perfectly fine today, and from your usage it doesn't look like the novelties of the later series would benefit you much.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
If you don't feel comfortable buying the latest AW and you're not in love with it don't force yourself and just return it.

Now if you really want an AW but don't wanna spend so much $$$ you can always look for a second hand device, most of them - except series 0 and 1 - would work perfectly fine today, and from your usage it doesn't look like the novelties of the later series would benefit you much.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Here you go, judge for yourself. The sapphire crystal Apple uses is not true sapphire is weaker than normal sapphire and scratches at almost the same resistance as the ionX glass used in the aluminum version.

Well if we don't use YouTube as our know-it-all-dictionary, I can tell you that I've had a S0, S2 and now an S4 all in steel - and not even a single hair of scratch in all those years at all.

It might not be as tough or thick a layer as the ones used on a massively more expensive Rolex, but it sure is scratch resistant.

My wife has the aluminium version and it scratches and yeah - all my iPhones has a not of small scratches on the display even though I treat it very well...

Back on topic:
I really have a hard time living without mine - For the GPS and tracking during my runs, for the push notifications when my phone isn't in my hand and just to keep me up to date at all times...

If it's your first one, an advice might be to limit the push notifications on your wrist to the most essentials. You might get a lot of push notifications you don't really need to know RIGHT now all the time. I have limited mine to iMessage, phone calls, calendar posts etc. and the rest on my phone.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Steering back onto topic somewhat.....those of you who use your watch when you haven't your phone around, Im assuming you use the cellular version of the watch?

With the standard version, how far can the watch be from the phone before you stop receiving messages and other notifications on it? ie, is it via Bluetooth, or via Wifi? Could I be on the same wifi network, but not within BT range, and still get notifications?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
With the standard version, how far can the watch be from the phone before you stop receiving messages and other notifications on it? ie, is it via Bluetooth, or via Wifi? Could I be on the same wifi network, but not within BT range, and still get notifications?
All watches will "prefer" bluetooth and wifi - and yes, it'll work within a known wifi network while beyond bluetooth distance. Watch learns known wifi networks from the phone then remembers them. I'm not positive what happens if watch and phone are on different wifi networks or if the wifi you're connected to disallows peer-to-peer connections.

FYI - it used to be though that any wifi requiring clicking through a login or AUP page didn't work, I don't know if that's changed with WatchOS6.

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
I like not being tethered to my phone while in the lab. I'm a developer and always walking around helping my subordinates out.

I like to see when the wife or kids text. I like to be updated, but not have my phone near me.

I like notifications when I'm out on my Harley. I can see if the wife or kids are calling.

I'm already active, but I like the reminders to get up and take a little break. Usually to hydrate or use the head.

I have a series 3, I think. Only wifi, but really considering getting the new one and giving my daughter the one I have now.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I feel like the apple watch works so well because it blends into the background seamlessley and is just deeply useful. It isn't like when you buy an ipad or phone or laptop and have something to sit down and use the watch gets its value in the short moments where it's so much easier to use than anything else. The value isn't fealt as much when you are wearing it, as when you forget the watch at home and have to dig the phone out, unlock it and open the weather app instead of just raising your wrist.

My advice would be for anyone on the fence take advantage of the 2 weeks and get used to using the watch and wearing it every day and then the last few days leave the watch at home and see if you start missing it.

Last edited:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Mine paid for itself over and over starting with series 0. It’s all about me not missing notifications. With phone in pocket I miss all the time with no watch. Besides that takes too much time when a watch is a quick glance.

I can set reminders, appointments, get stock news, phone call from kids school, etc reliably. Phone in pocket may buzz and I’m not even aware. Usually on mute.

The rest is gravy. I turn activities off. Noise app? Lol. Breathe? Umm. No thanks. Stand? Off you go. I do run with watch and bt headphones (for music) I just don’t want to track or manage it. Just becomes something else to manage.

My 12 year old has a cellular one for school. I took away her phone about a year ago. Too much time wasted on YouTube or tiktok. This lets her message me or stream music with airpods. Good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJ44

phgreer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Greenville, SC
That's one reason I decided to go ahead and get the lower price Version 3 GPS only. I may upgrade later but so far I'm very satisfied. The main things I really like

1.) the exercise tracking - more seamless than other solutions for the price with the mental awards being helpful.

2.) While it is the GPS only version I can still answer calls without having to fish the phone of my pocket

3.) I am looking my phone less and while I am fine checking my phone I deal a lot with an older generation (elderly parents) who doesn't understand but no big deal with the watch as that is a traditional thing plus I am testing out and thinking about getting one for my dad who has had issues with falls.

4.) I like to have a timer running on my wrist instead of a phone out in the open (I use a timer to help me both focus and get a better idea of how long a task takes.

P.S. I discovered that siri will turn the screen white when you ask "her" to turn on the flashlight. - sounds silly but if you are going to your door at night it's easier than pulling out the phone.

Yes, the extra faces, always on and extra health features would be nice but I'm ok giving the version 3 a go for it now. I tried something like a fitbit not too long ago but love this a lot better. Also about 10 years ago I tried a little black egg shape device that tracked your movements, etc. you had to clip on your belt but that company with under I think. Can't even remember the name.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
P.S. I discovered that siri will turn the screen white when you ask "her" to turn on the flashlight. - sounds silly but if you are going to your door at night it's easier than pulling out the phone.

Yes - the Flashlight is available from within the Control Center - swipe up from the bottom - and you can edit the order of the tiles to put frequently used stuff (like Flashlight) nearer the top of the group.

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
I started with the Apple Watch 0, then moved to the 2, 3 and now have a 4.

When I had the 0 it was more of a novelty. I wore it inconsistently. The same thing happened with a previous Samsung watch I had.

When I had the 2 it was a bit more useful, with a brighter display and longer lasting battery, plus the responsiveness was acceptable. But still not a "must wear" device. If I got a "time to stand" I'd just ignore it.

When I had the 3 I used the cellular function and it was handy if I didn't have my phone with me. I started to wear it more consistently.

When I got the 4 I still use the cellular function, like all the other notifications, the bigger screen size with the new watch face with all the complications on the same screen. That made a HUGE difference for me. In the lower right are the 3 rings which has made a big difference in my level of activity. I now focus on closing all 3 rings every day. I've enabled fall detection and also arrhythmia, but really don't care that much about the EKG function.

I really have no burning desire to upgrade to the 5 at this point, especially as the S5 is the same as the S4. AOD isn't a driver nor is the compass. Probably will wait to see what AW6 brings next year and just get a new band instead.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Here you go, judge for yourself. The sapphire crystal Apple uses is not true sapphire is weaker than normal sapphire and scratches at almost the same resistance as the ionX glass used in the aluminum version.
In real world use, the sapphire screen is much more durable than ion glass and aluminum. The majority of scratch complaints come from aluminum watch users. I have owned SS watches since S0 and never a scratch and I don’t baby my watches. Also, if one has the disposable income they get what pleases them without a second thought no matter what it is.

Reactions: rMBP2013

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

The watch gets the WiFi password for the network you're connected to from the phone. I put my phone down as soon as I get home and never touch it again until I leave. If I get an incoming call I can answer it on my watch no matter where I am inside.

The rest is gravy. I turn activities off. Noise app? Lol. Breathe? Umm. No thanks. Stand? Off you go. I do run with watch and bt headphones (for music) I just don’t want to track or manage it. Just becomes something else to manage.

The breathe alerts are annoying but the stand alerts were really eye opening. Sitting for long periods is bad for you and I had no idea how often I was going long stretches at work without standing up.

Reactions: rMBP2013 and Ifti

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
breathe alerts are annoying but the stand alerts were really eye opening. Sitting for long periods is bad for you and I had no idea how often I was going long stretches at work without standing up.
I disabled the breathe alerts a long time ago. Even forgot they existed.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Well if we don't use YouTube as our know-it-all-dictionary, I can tell you that I've had a S0, S2 and now an S4 all in steel - and not even a single hair of scratch in all those years at all.

It might not be as tough or thick a layer as the ones used on a massively more expensive Rolex, but it sure is scratch resistant.

My wife has the aluminium version and it scratches and yeah - all my iPhones has a not of small scratches on the display even though I treat it very well...

Back on topic:
I really have a hard time living without mine - For the GPS and tracking during my runs, for the push notifications when my phone isn't in my hand and just to keep me up to date at all times...

If it's your first one, an advice might be to limit the push notifications on your wrist to the most essentials. You might get a lot of push notifications you don't really need to know RIGHT now all the time. I have limited mine to iMessage, phone calls, calendar posts etc. and the rest on my phone.
Doesn’t matter how thick or thin the sapphire crystal is. If it were true sapphire it would never scratch at a mohs level 6 and should only scratch at mohs level 9. The glass used on the aluminum watch was the same glass used on the iPhone 6 & 7 series. Even though the Watch is more prone to elements always being external. If you take care of your stuff you shouldn’t scratch it any easier than you would scratch your phone.

I’m not saying the stainless steel model is garbage either. It’s a nice watch, but because the nature of technology and what the watch is, leaves it completely valueless after two years. So when you spend $700+ dollars and two years later it’s only worth roughly $75 that is a significant loss of value over time. When the watch starts to experience a more matured technology stage like iPhone X - 11 is at now and the upgrades seem less extreme to the previous version maybe that’s when the value over time returns. S5 is the first with AOD, the S6 may include AOD with a second hand and most likely a much needed CPU upgrade. By all means purchase whatever you like at the end of the day the only opinion that matters is your own.

All I’ve stated is that I went from the SS models to the aluminum models and haven’t noticed a difference in my experience and that Apple’s claim of Sapphire isn’t true sapphire which is correct. It may have elements of sapphire in it but the manufactured sapphire they’re using doesn’t hold up to what real sapphire’s toughness is.

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
My 12 year old has a cellular one for school. I took away her phone about a year ago. Too much time wasted on YouTube or tiktok. This lets her message me or stream music with airpods. Good enough.

I think this is a completely underrated use for the watch, if I had children this is exactly what I would do. It gets rid of the distractions of the cell phone but allows you to keep in contact with them when needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.