Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Let us leave it at this. Good day. :)

And you still don't change. You still do the same thing again and again untill it pisses off someone. As your comments and posts add no value or information.
And I am saying this after observing, reading and experiencing your post over a period of time.

DatHoff

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
The version of Windows 7 or 10 should not matter. Deactivate your pass code and lock screen, plug in your device and then try and update.

This will be my only post ever on this forum as I made an account only to say thank you so much. I haven't been able to use my new Apple watch because of this error and not being able to update since I got my iPhone in January.

Thank you!

x-21

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
The solution is rather simple. Although there are many reasons for error 4000, including a bad cable - in this case there is a problem with updating via Windows 10's current version of iTunes and it is related to having a pass code and lock screen. Temporarily disable 1) your device pass code 2) screen autolock and try again. This solved my problem on 3 separate iOS devices. Once updated via Win10 iTunes, I simply turned my device pass codes and autolock back on.
It's solved! Nice bro!

Panther_1738

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
The version of Windows 7 or 10 should not matter. Deactivate your pass code and lock screen, plug in your device and then try and update.
I made an account just to say thank you, I tried everything, then I stumbled across your comment, turned off my passcord and face id, and it worked!

Reactions: ericwn

Mrdowdy71

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2020
I too was first but a passer-by.. in search of an elusive answer. After traveling to distant websites promising solutions and offering nothing but reboots and unneeded software.

But in the distance, on the second page of results from my 4th search query, MacRumors glistened over the click of 'Next page of Results'. The first recognizable URL in a sea of randoms. But could it be?? Could there be a true solution?? Or just more pages of disappointment? Worthless letters on the screen.. obviously fake Thank you post for a 'solution' that could have never worked...

But then I met your reply "NmeNotDisplayed"... You were my oasis in the desert. You were the voice of reason in a crowd of confusion. You determination bled through your response and pierced my suspicion's heart.

Sorry.. I too created an account because after half a day of searching, this was the only solution to work. I am now actually watching the update install when it was bombing out constantly after updating. Such a simple solution.

Again sorry for the dramatics... I needed something to do while the phone updates - finally!!

The solution is rather simple. Although there are many reasons for error 4000, including a bad cable - in this case there is a problem with updating via Windows 10's current version of iTunes and it is related to having a pass code and lock screen. Temporarily disable 1) your device pass code 2) screen autolock and try again. This solved my problem on 3 separate iOS devices. Once updated via Win10 iTunes, I simply turned my device pass codes and autolock back on.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Told ya ?

De nada! De rien!

Looks like with more and more people benefitting from your fantastic suggestion. And more and more people Thanking you than ever before. We are gonna have to recommend you to be a nominee of the Macrumors Oscars or Grammy whatever applies ✌

Oxie

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
NmeNotDisplay you are a genius. I am so glad I found your post. Your 'fix' above worked a treat. It has been a very stressful couple of days, and I do thank you heaps.

Reactions: augustya

Oxie

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
Hi again. Today I updated to 14.0.1 and can you believe it ... the same bug was there not allowing the install. Thank heavens for NmeNotDisplay's post. I wonder what the next IOS will have in store for us.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
Having this issue as well. iPhone 11 running 13.7 > trying to update to 14.0.1.
My other iPhone 11 Pro Maxipad went fine, but ran into 4000 error with the 11.
EDIT -- I'm also getting error 1170 on a MacBook Pro (macOS 10.15.7). This is annoying.
Attempted over 10 times; Apple was of zero help. I think all of their good tech support people quit.
So now I have to do the "dirty" phone-based update, or recovery-mode, which will be a mess (it's my wife's phone).
My only thinking/belief is that it could be (1) a Windows sh-tshow problem (iTunes Windows is crap), or (2) iCloud/iTunes account mismatch, which hasn't been discussed.

Last edited:

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
Kudos -> can we vote/send the NmeNotDisplayed solution to crApple?
The issue is that by disabling passcode, it nukes Apple Pay, Apple Watch, and a bunch of other stuff.
Which is a hassle to re-enable.
And as my post above, I'm also getting an error on macOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trader05

mourad farouk

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2020
after hours of troubleshooting reinstalling itunes using different computers and every other thing that i could find this is the only thing that worked thank you

Reactions: lindros2

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
after hours of troubleshooting reinstalling itunes using different computers and every other thing that i could find this is the only thing that worked thank you
When did end consumers become Apple's (unwanted/unpaid) beta testers?
That is - I'm cool if I download whatever beta, but if I download 14.0, it should be... functional?
And then their support is now like talking to a bag of rocks.

JedWare

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
As of iTunes version 12.10.10 the bug is STILL there. Not very good showing by Apple. Turning off Passcode and Screen locking disables credit cards and requires reauthorization. I guess over the air updates are the easiest until Itunes is fixed.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
As of iTunes version 12.10.10 the bug is STILL there. Not very good showing by Apple. Turning off Passcode and Screen locking disables credit cards and requires reauthorization. I guess over the air updates are the easiest until Itunes is fixed.
For iPad disabling passcode isn’t bad.
For phone it’s a nightmare.
As an aside the descriptions in TV and Music went to Spanish today. No idea why.
Apple QA has gone to sh..t

Reactions: lelisa13p

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
This also worked for my iPhone. Many thanks!!! OTA updates would work fine. It always frustrated me however that iTunes updates would not work.

leoricius

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Two months later and you are still helping people. Over the air update to 14.2 kept failing so I tried iTunes: error 4000, as you all know. Solution was perfect fix and saved my emergency backup, old iPhone 7 from brickdom.

THANK YOU. This is my first, last, and thus only post.

RESPECT.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
This issue continues...
and to make things worse, Fast Transfer (7/8/X/Xs/11 > 12) is all f’ed up, so people are running into this issue if they go the computer restore route.
A whole new audience!!!

JedWare

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
This is FIXED in iTunes Version 12.11.0.26. Successfully upgraded to IOS 14.2.1 without needing to remove passcode.

Reactions: Wesmosis

RoyalScam

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
This is FIXED in iTunes Version 12.11.0.26. Successfully upgraded to IOS 14.2.1 without needing to remove passcode.
Not so fast there, Sparky.

Tried to update my wife’s iPhone 12 Pro Max tonight from 14.1 to 14.2.1. iTunes prompted that it needed to be updated to 12.11.0.26. Did the update, synced, backed up and attempted the iPhone update.

14.2.1 downloaded, update started and...Error 4000!

Thanks to Google sending me here, I saved myself a ton of headaches. Disabling Screen Lock and Passcode did the trick.

But, the bug REMAINS.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Good advice. Same problem with new iPhone Pro Max.

UPDATE: Yesterday I decided to try upgrading OTA and got an error/refusal to update. On a whim I turned OFF the Screen Lock feature but left my Pass Code intact, fully expecting another failure. NO! It worked! I didn't need to do anything afterward except turn Screen Lock back on. No need to recover any of that stuff that has to be redone after disabling Pass Code. I was also able to upgrade my Apple Watch afterward and today I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.