TSA Source: Armed Agent Slips Past DFW Body Scanner

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by codymac, Feb 19, 2011.

1. codymac macrumors 6502

Wanted to bring this up since I haven't seen it in the national news yet. It's relevant to everyone since it's one of the busiest airports in the world.

It doesn't matter how many millions we spend on security - when we pay $8/hr. for security, we get $8/hr. security.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-be...gh-DFW-Body-Scanner-With-a-Gun-116497568.html

Feb. 18, 2011

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why is this even news? The TSA misses things all the time. Airport scanners and security is mainly for show.

3. codymac thread starter macrumors 6502

They miss guns all the time?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes

Non-news... as stated above
    Prolly why it hasn't made the national news

5. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Even drugs.... Mary Jane, and Crack, People swallow them as oversize pills and pass them illegally...:rolleyes:

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Works great, until the condom ruptures internally, and pure cocaine kills the hapless mule. :(

7. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

They couldn't spot a gun in somebodies pants but I can't bring a full size can of shaving cream or finger nail clippers? What a joke.

8. ender land macrumors 6502a

This is a common pyschology problem.

Looking for something which appears in an incredibly small percentage of scans results in low(er) accuracy.

(you have to keep in mind it's different to look at one scan, and miss a gun, rather than looking at thousands with one gun and missing it)

Our mind just does not do this well.

9. LynnW macrumors member

I've read several times that the TSA fails to detect 40% of the weapons and simulated bombs used in these tests. Feel secure now?

Looking through the job listings for TSA screeners, it seems the pay for new hires ranges from $13.96/hr to over $17/hr depending on location.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What does this have to do with anything? The real problem is the expectation that people staring at screens for hours on end is ineffective. Too bad profiling is politically incorrect. Israel does it, and it works pretty well for them.

11. LynnW macrumors member

The OP wrote that the TSA screeners are paid $8/hr. That is not true.

I agree with you about profiling. I doubt that the four year old girl or the elderly Japanese woman in a wheelchair I saw pulled aside for full body searches were really much of a threat to airline safety.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh, right.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yes, undercover FBI and similar have been able to get guns through security consistently since 9/11. All the security at airports is for show, to make the public feel like the government is on top of the threat.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And if they screw-up once in a while, Corporate America just puts it down to the cost of doing business.

15. snberk103 macrumors 603

Loaded Handgun Found At Calgary Airport Screening

Yet certain Congress-people (Jeff Duncan, for example) still believe that Canadian security is lax, and is a threat to the US.

I'm not concerned about the number of weapons that can slip by security. Nobody believes that the system is 100% foolproof. The point is that members of a group that are trying to smuggle a weapon through security need to believe that the risk of getting caught is high enough that they get nervous. Nervous people make mistakes. Nervous people talk.

That nervousness will show at the security screening, or at least they will be worried their nevousness will evident - which causes more stress. And/Or members will be worried enough about being caught that during the planning phase that they will talk to somebody about their stress. I'm convinced that the various security agencies are close to, or actually involved in, just about every domestic group thinking about terrorism.

16. codymac, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

codymac thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right, I rounded down.

$17083 is the bottom grade, based on a 1920 hour year, that's $8.90/hr.

Got any links regarding effectiveness? Other stories about how many guns are missed, etc.? It's fine if it's "BFD, it's common," please show me.

Seems to me we did a better job of it before we started relying on the scanners.

Seems like it would make more sense to implement something like the facial recognition systems in Vegas.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

18. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Besides being invasive, there's really no need for security beyond metal detectors-- everything else fails miserably due to human error in the end.

I'm not quite sure why profiling is so taboo however, if they're already going to see me naked, it's really not a big issue in my opinion.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ceramic weapons are becoming more main-stream now.

This is a political issue, and has nothing to do with security.

As already stated here, Israel cares not for PC, instead opting for actual results.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Wow to everyone saying "Scanning is ineffective" you are 100% wrong. Its obvious most people here have never flown in and out of hostile countries before. You'd be amazed some of the things you see confiscated.

If just one disaster is prevented by scanning its all worth it. For those who think its not imagine if it was your loved ones on the plane where the disaster was prevented.

Sure the TSA is far from perfect but I'm glad they are doing what they are doing. Its better than nothing and definitely acts as a deterrent.

21. snberk103 macrumors 603

I don't actually disagree with the first and third paragraphs, and therefore - I think - the main argument of the post. But the "If just one ... " argument always gets my teeth grinding.

By this logic you are saying that: Everyone flying (including you and your loved ones) should be subjected to full body-cavity search, strapped into a strait-jacket, and then sedated before flying - because it can be proven that at least one of the several past incidents would have been prevented if the passengers had been searched, tied, and gagged before hand....

That "Just one .... " argument can be extended beyond flying. Cars should not be able to move faster than 20 km/h - to prevent a single loved one dying in a car crash. All citizens should give up privacy rights to the security services to prevent just one criminal act against a loved one.... etc etc

I agree that nothing is foolproof, TSA searched included. That a mostly effective security measure, in this case, is better than none. But that "Just One ... " point doesn't do the rest of your message justice.

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

23. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

According to most statistics generated by TSA's own pen testing, the statement "scanning is ineffective" is actually about 60% right.

Nice try though.

24. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I'm'a gonna combine THAT with THIS for the perfect safety combo :D

25. snberk103 macrumors 603

Well, that's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back. I kept reading, looking for the bit that would tell me that this site was a really clever parody. Either it's too subtle for me, or......

:)