Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Thanks, I'm glad someone noticed this...

"We're losing money on every chip, but we'll make it up on volume!"
None of us are in the halls at TSMC, but we can assume they're not going to throw away more cash than they have to. I'd think a better (but not perfect) analogy is to an airline flying a route.

Say the airline is already committed to flying route N3B. If Customer B and C cancel their flights, there's no benefit to the airline flying that empty seat. It's (probably) financially better for the airline to maybe offer customer M3 discounted companion seats to get more cash flow from their already committed to flight... Then maybe their new flight attendant can learn more from serving regular customer M3, his child - A17, his older brothers - M3Pro and M3Max and his fat uncle, M3Ultra.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
In what bizarro world is it okay to buy a carton of beer, find that 4 of 24 cans were already damaged, and you still had to accept them?

Only paying for undamaged goods sounds like basic business 101.

In most cases, sure. However, if the cost of ensuring 100% perfect is more than allowing for some damage then allowing for damage makes good business sense; although a company probably just factors in the damage in the initial costs so the receiver doesn't "pay for them."

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
That's not unique to computer manufacturing, car manufacturers do it as well. BW's for example, have (had?) features not enabled by the build order but were still part of the vehicle. Rewriting the build order could enable them. Sometimes wiring harness contained wires for features not there because some parts are missing, that was how I added factory bluetooth to my e90 using factory parts.

In the wiring harness case, it's also just cheaper and simplifies logistics to design and install one part rather than have a different wiring harness for different configurations. It means that the car can be partially built at the factory before they decide what the final configuration is going to be.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
In the wiring harness case, it's also just cheaper and simplifies logistics to design and install one part rather than have a different wiring harness for different configurations. It means that the car can be partially built at the factory before they decide what the final configuration is going to be.

True. Although BMW eventually stopped prewiring. The same concept holds for chips as well - one design with easy mods reduces costs and complexity in supply chains.

Last edited:

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
If they follow Apple dogma they ' cannot'. The iPhone Pro gets the A17 this year. next year the iPhone 16 gets the 'hand me down' A17. Not only that.... that model is then sold for the next two years after that!! Then about a 1-2 years later the iPad gets "hand me down " A17.

Apple really has no dogmas.
Until last year, the "dogma" was to make even cheap phones have the same SoC as the flagship.
Then TSMC faltered and the plan was changed to the A15/A16 split and then to the A16/A17 split.
If in the future it will make sense to make N3E chips only, we'll be back seeing iPhone SE, iPhone 16 and 16 Pro with the same SoC.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
Nobody is anticipating this, but boy would it be disappointing.
Speak for yourself. Apple setup the ground work for this with the current lineup. Only the Pro models will have the newest CPU at launch. The non-pros get the hand-me-downs from last year.

2023 models
15 Pro / 15 Pro Max = A17
15 / 15 Plus = A16

2022 models
14 Pro / 14 Pro Max = A16
14 = A15

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.