Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple supplier Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company has begun commercial production of chips manufactured using its advanced 7-nanometer process (via DigiTimes). One of the major customers for chips built with the technology will be Apple and the A12 processor, which is expected to be found in all three upcoming 2018 iPhones.

The announcement comes from newly appointed TSMC CEO C.C. Wei, who spoke during the company's technology symposium in Taiwan yesterday in hopes of dismissing recent speculation that TSMC's 7nm production was facing a "slower-than-expected" yield rate. Wei didn't provide specific orders and customers for the 7nm chip output, but indicated the ramp up will boost TSMC's overall production capacity from 10.5 million wafers in 2017 to 12 million in 2018.

2018iphonerenderings2.jpg

The chips built using the 7nm process technology are destined for AI, GPU, cryptocurrency, and 5G applications -- totaling 50 chip designs by the end of 2018. For iPhones, the new 7nm process will pave the way for the type of performance improvements customers expect in new iPhones every year.
Orders for Apple's custom A12 processor for use in the upcoming iPhones will play a major driver of TSMC's 7nm chip production growth in 2018, according to market sources. The foundry has secured 7nm chip orders from about 20 customers including AMD, Bitmain, Nvidia and Qualcomm. The majority of the orders will be carried out in the first half of 2019, the sources said.
At the technology symposium, Wei also said that TSMC is scheduled to move a new 5nm node technology to mass production towards the end of 2019 or early 2020, with plans to invest $25 billion into the technology.

In January, DigiTimes reported that Apple selected TSMC to remain the exclusive supplier of the upcoming A12 processor for its 2018 iPhones, following rumors from last summer that Samsung could be returning to iPhone chip production this year. TSMC is the exclusive supplier of the A11 Bionic processor found in the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X, as well as the sole supplier of the A10 Fusion processor in the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

According to a DigiTimes report last year, TSMC's integrated fan-out wafer-level packaging technology -- which the supplier uses in its 7nm FinFET chip fabrication -- is largely superior to any progress made by Samsung in the same field, which eventually led to Apple's decision to stick with one supplier for all of its processors again this year.

Apple's decision to keep TSMC as the sole A-series chip manufacturer in 2018 will mark the third year in a row that the supplier created iPhone chips alone, following the A10 in 2016 and the A11 Bionic in 2017. The last time Apple dual sourced chips was in 2015, when both Samsung and TSMC supplied the A9 chip in the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, which frustrated some users when TSMC's technology was discovered to boast slightly better battery life.

Article Link: TSMC Ramps Up Production of 7nm Chips Ahead of 2018 iPhones, Invests $25 Billion to Move to 5nm by 2020

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The last time Apple dual sourced chips was in 2015, when both Samsung and TSMC supplied the A9 chip in the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, which frustrated some users when TSMC's technology was discovered to boast slightly better battery life.

This situation was pretty comical.

Before the news about the TSMC chip being slightly better, there were a lot of posts on the forum of people complaining about it, saying that they did not want to get, or they ended up getting the TSMC chip, and they wanted the Samsung one.

I think there where people speculating where the to source the iPhones with the Samsung chips, like what stores, or carriers.

Then the tests were done showing that the TSMC chip performed better.

I got a laugh out of it. I think in the whole scheme of things, it probably wasn't even noticeable.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014

Before the news about the TSMC chip being slightly better, there were a lot of posts on the forum of people complaining about it, saying that they did not want to get, or they ended up getting the TSMC chip, and they wanted the Samsung one.

I think there where people speculating where the to source the iPhones with the Samsung chips, like what stores, or carriers.

I got a laugh out of it. I think in the whole scheme of things, it probably wasn't even noticeable.
I read many posts here from people swapping their phones several times until they got the chip they wanted. I don't remember now which one I had but it was whatever was considered slower and it was perfectly fine with me. Seems like I had the Samsung chip. Forgot all about this.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
5nM must be getting near the size limit below which quantum effects become significant. That said having slowed down for a couple of years in decreasing size, TSMC suddenly seem to have leapt forward in the diminution stakes.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Really don't know who's still buying iPhones nowadays .. but apparently tens of millions of people...

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
Intel is still struggling with the 10nm at full scale and power, isn't it? Also, has it integrated the GPU with the 10nm CPU?

And Intel is still struggling with 10nm. :)

Intel’s sizes are not directly comparable with TSMC or Samsung’s. I’d say their 10 is about equivalent to the 7 everyone in mobile is at. Everyone is having problems at this size because the chips are tiny.

Reactions: Gudi

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
On a different note.... Looks like the LCD model will have slightly thicker bezels compared to OLED ones.. not too bad though compared existing LCD screens and also the chin at the top and bottom is smaller

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
I'm holding out for 2nm. It really is amazing how small they are getting.
Looking forward to it. Wish the notch was only 7nm though.
I think you'll be waiting for a long time. Aside from the technical/physical challenges, I'm not even sure it's economical.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

Probably because historically when it was a Samsung version of some part vs. anyone else's, the Samsung one was superior. There were years of Samsung Screens/SSDs/etc vs. others and Samsung was generally chosen as the BEST one. Do that a few times and consumers will automatically assume the same in another multi-supplier situation.

Based on the past, that thinking was pretty natural with history supporting of the idea of TRYING to land one with a Samsung-made brain. That it proved to be an exception only made it an unusual situation based on the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.