Tuesday: D-Day or Just another Buzz-kill!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Mar 15, 2010.

?

Will the Mac Pro be updated tomorrow (Tuesday, Mar. 16)?

1. Yes, I think it will.

41 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. No, I don't think so... Sometime later this year

99 vote(s)
    70.7%
  1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

With all the buzz and rumors surrounding Intel's release of hexacore processors and the possibility of a Mac Pro update tomorrow, Tuesday, March 16th, it's your turn to express whether or not you think an update to the Mac Pro line will happen tomorrow. I personally would be happy and welcome an update tomorrow but am somewhat skeptical.

Attached Files:

2. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

I can't envision any reason to delay the MP now that Gulftown has been released and already showing up in some other retail PC's. the ironic thing is I've been waiting for a new MBP update, but have kinda talked myself into going with my first MP if they're updated tomorrow, and just making due with my old notebook for a while, as I seem to be traveling less and less for work anyway.

3. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

That's true and given Apple's good relation with Intel, we should expect an update real soon. After all, they've ALMOST always received intel chips a month or so in advance of PC vendors. Can't wait to see what GPU options the new Mac Pros will offer (whenever they're released). :rolleyes:

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I vote for both... Mac Pro announcement tomorrow with 6 and 12 core machines priced to kill any buzz! :D

5. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

LOL, that's funny but true statement! :D Completely agree

6. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

not always, just sometimes. here's hoping apple thinks it's important to have a fresh hardware line for all those people buying a computer and an ipad :apple:

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It is wishful thinking. There is no evidence that they will be announced tomorrow. Just circumstance in the NDA being lifted and product release on a Tuesday. Perfectly possible they could be announced, but it should be kept in mind that Apple may choose to wait or they may not be ready for a release yet.

8. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Just to clarify:

If any update will take place tomorrow for the Mac Pro or any other product the Apple Store should go down at around 6:00AM Eastern (US and Canada) Time. Until then, it's fingers crossed. :D
    The poll is looking interesting...very close!

9. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

what can be determined from this poll? 15 people are half-glass full and 15 people are glass half-empty. :rolleyes:

10. Magic Lantern macrumors newbie

I will tell you why it definitely won't happen:

Because I want to buy one! Every Tuesday I get excited and spend my day refreshing Twitter, MacRumors and the Apple Store and the update just never comes. Every Tuesday I am exponentially less disappointed by the lack of announcement because I have started to accept the fact that they will NEVER update the MacPro ;)

Looks like I will be shovelling coal into the steam engine of my G5 for a while yet...

11. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Patience is a virtue but sometimes the waiting process for something we really want can be better than the actual thing itself. ;)

12. Houston macrumors regular

Me too. I voted yes, but my heart says no. Just because I sold my Mac Pro Friday, in anticipation of a release tomorrow. I just hope I don't have to wait for months. :)

13. CountlovE macrumors regular

Well I am not sure if this is credible, but I was visiting San Fran this weekend. Totally drunk out of my mind at 1:30am Friday night I ran into 2 guys who were helping me with directions back to my hotel. They totally pointed me in the right direction and I was very appreciative (some homeless guy gave me wrong directions).

One of the guys happened to work for Apple. I then told him how I am dying to get a new 6 core machine when it is released. I told him I really hope it comes out this Tuesday. He said nothing and just smiled. After more small talk we split off in different directions.

But before he took off, the last thing he said was "Enjoy your new Mac." So does that mean it comes out tomorrow? Who knows.. But I can only hope..

14. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Ooohh...my turn...

So today I was out getting some coffee at Starbucks, vanilla latte, and I took a seat with my MPB. There was a guy sitting next to me and to my amazement it looked like he had an iPad. So I of course had to bug him about it so I asked him. He was like "yeah, they sent a few of these out for some field testing." He had the 3G version too. He said he's been going around to common wifi and surfing spots to see how well the iPad works, both the wifi and 3G capabilities. I asked him if I could try it out. He wouldn't let me, said he wasn't allowed to let anyone else use it. We chatted a little bit about it and other Mac stuff. On a whim I asked him about the MacPros and how they are supposed to come out tomorrow. He laughed and said "Check this out." He went to apple.com on the iPad and then manually typed in an address on the apple site and a "New Mac Pro" page opened up. He said that they update the online store a few days in advance so it can be checked for errors, you just need to know where to go. He also aparently does that too. So what I was looking at was the page that will go up tomorrow. I got really excited! I don't remember too much, he didn't leave it up long but I remember seeing the words "Twelve Cores" in big letters. and it looked like the case was a little different with some black in the casing. I also remember seeing FW3200, USB3, eSATA and Lightpeak in the specs. Oh and big surprise! BLURAY!!! Also on the page were 2 new ACDs 30" and 46"!!! He smiled as I giggled and then turned off the iPad. He said "Nice talking to you." and got up and left. So I'm really exctited!!! Can't wait till tomorrow!!:)

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

My money is on tomorrow...

I hope this thread doesn't grow in size and stupdity like the "unofficial waiting for Arrandale thread" at the MBP forums :rolleyes:

The waves of newbies there every day is rather astonishing.

16. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Voted No for tomorrow. Hope I am wrong as I would love to see some apple news beside the ipad.

17. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I voted no.

I would love to see some non-iPad news out of Apple, but right now the timing seems all wrong.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd have called BS on the guy (would have been a fake page).

Off the top of my head, LightPeak would be impossible, as the parts aren't out yet. Evaluation boards yes. But finished parts in the supply chain = NO.

USB 3.0 is possible, as there'd only be a driver involved (NEC already has their chips available).

eSATA = doable, again, as only the part would need to be added on the board and drivers written.

FW3200 (S3200) = parts not available yet from what I've seen.

BluRay = technically possible, and Apple only really needs to agree with licensing terms and add the necessary bits to OS X (HDCP compliance has already been sneaking into more recent gear from Apple, whether by design or not - component makers have been including the hardware functions in their more recent parts).

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

it's almost gotta be either tomorrow or at least this month. if not, i think apple is really forgetting about the pro desktop market

20. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

:rolleyes:

21. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

You got me, I was lying...I don't actually drink coffee... ;)

22. CountlovE macrumors regular

@JesterJJZ

Wow, that is almost too good to be true.. I really do hope you aren't ********ting. Guess we will find out tomorrow..

:)

:apple:

23. antmo macrumors member

I'm excited for all you folks waiting for the refresh... I picked up an 09 quad about a month ago, so I won't be buying any Mac Pros anytime soon.

However, I am in the market for a nice display... so I'll just tag along on the excitement and hope those are updated as well :)

24. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

My post was in response to the one before it. ;)

25. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

:eek: ROFLMAO!!! Thanks for that! :D