Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Has anyone paid attention to the "next big things" that Sculley has attached himself to since his Apple days? Has anyone ever heard of those products again in the least manner shape or form?

I'm trying to recall off the top of my head, seems that Sculley was big on promoting products that were almost already being done cheaper and better by others... one may have been PDA related, the other was related to digital photography. His actual career as a hired gun for high tech start-ups since has been rather embarrassing in my memory. But those are the details that one should pull up for doing a quija board job on Sculley's announcement, which in all likelihood is totally unrelated to what Jobs is going to announce.

And regarding the usual retrospective armchair quarterbacking of the fall of Apple that does not deserve further comment here... I don't think anyone ever gives Spindler nearly enough blame, for what that is worth. If any one was exemplifying the Peter Principle, it was Spindler- a company being run by the mentalities of middle management works as well as its vision.

Mary Anne

Scully's introducing a revolutionary transportation device, codenamed "Mary Anne", a unicycle with gyroscopic stabilizers and redundant onboard computers that keep it upright at all times and is controlled merely by leaning. Barnum and Bailey has placed a preliminary order for 500 of the $4,000 vehicles. Scully was quoted as saying "People will build circuses around these things."

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by Cappy
Don't forget we're due for a video conferencing solution from Apple as per Steve's comments earlier this year.

I often wounder what Apple will create or augment to help out some of MacOS X's shortcommings:

Video Conferencing - iChat
Scanner Support - iPhoto (but 10.2 seeds suggest Image capture)
What are we supposed to do for QT Clips off digital cameras? - no idea (Image Capture seems so weird now)
Video input (ATi Xclaim USB/MyTV)- more Image Capture?
Finder should update track names from CDs via iTunes, but doesn't
Wacom - InkWell (makes very happy, well if it'll work on serial, my last legacy device)

There's obviously a ton but those are my 2 cents. (Still waiting for scanner support into SOMETHING besides the crappy EPSON/UMAX drivers, doesn't PhotoShop 7 work with scanners in OSX with the OSX TWAIN drivers? I wish i knew)

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Re: Re: Something is up. . .

Originally posted by Kid Red

No, it's just that Apple will not wait to announce stuff at big shows anymore. When it's ready, it will be announced.

10.1.5 isn't worth the publicity and interviews for stevie. This is something else, like a new iDevice like stylus or tablet or iApp like video conferencing or something. Still can't figure out what it could be.

Not so much apple doesn't like MW anymore, but they save NEW products for MW. Ok the 2nd iBook (Dual USB), iPod and Xserve don't count.

Ok nix that, they have no freakin' pattern. All I know is after last year's MWNY apple wised up BIG TIME. Look at MWSF (iMac, iBook, iPhoto). I just REALLY miss the old MWs. If they still existed we'd see a new iMac, iBook, PowerBook, PowerMac, AND the Xserve at MWNY this year. Instead we have most of them now. Hard to say which is REALLY better, but Apple is good at staying competative now, ALSO it lets them update AGAIN at MW if they really want to.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Something is up. . .

Originally posted by MasterX (OSiX)

Ok nix that, they have no freakin' pattern. All I know is after last year's MWNY apple wised up BIG TIME..

Product announcements at the Expos never was in their favor-- the big buying periods are really before each expo.. school buying was at least a month before the summer expo and Holiday buying a month before the winter expo.

I've never liked that they are going up against CES each time either.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Yeah, MW Keynotes in general has been slipping . Since the MWJP of the Flower Power iMacs so i recall. I guess now that apple is producing great products full-time we're all just harder to please. :)

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by Foocha

Apple has had bad press coverage for the poor experience of Web browsing on an iMac. If the new Internet Explorer is tagged version 6, has anti-aliased type, uses Aqua widgets, matches the Windows feature-set and is Much Much faster, then that really is a minor upgrade worth talking to the press about.

Alternatively, 10.1.5 might be the first version of OS X to ship with Netscape, perhaps as the default browser. Perhaps Apple has got the scoop on Netscape 7 - they're certainly getting very close to AOL these days.

Apple sucks up to AOL (new Airport, hold their hand through OSX development). AOL lets Apple use AIM protocol.

Apple wouldn't use Netscape (again) simply because they use WAY too many workarounds. I mean some apps use workarounds for some minor issues (earlier versions of OSX 10.0, pointer disapearing while scrolling, etc) but Netscape REALLY must hate the individual OS. It looks like NetscapeOS when running, and although the smoothest out there for OSX, the display method looks COMPLETLY differnt from Quartz or anything else. I mean look at how the page tears at the bottom and top. Netscape was only good for it's compatability in OS9, now that died since IE-OSX is better than Netscape. I'll use Chimera if i want Mozilla. Cocoa lives forever!

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
Jobs vs. Scully

Hmmm. Maybe Fox is going to announce a new round of celebrity boxing? Jobs-v-Scully!:D

benjc

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Mozilla for OSX

I have to disagree on a previous post about how Mozilla/Netscape is no good as an OSX app. It's actually an amazing port from my point of view. I work with Solaris, Windows, Linux and Mac OSX on all my desk, with my Titanium as my primary machine... and preferred interface into all the unix plaforms. Mozilla 1.0 runs on all platforms the exact same, and can look and feel the exact across them all. That is exactly what it should be like for a cross-platform product. I don't have to learn anything different.

It is the best browser I've used on OSX because it's actually compliant unlike Opera and OmniWeb and is much nicer to use that IE and works better than IE except on the Microsoft sites... but heck, even MSN doesn't completely work on OSX, it's windows only for music.msn.com for example.

If it's the bubbly aqua look you want, then no, this isn't for you, but for complete functionality, and a true OSX app that is proven cross-platform and uses skins exactly like every other platform then this is a great product, and it has no problems with fitting in perfectly in the OSX environment, graphics wise, as the default browser, with OSX panes instead of dialog boxes.

From an outsider of the Apple world who has come into it, it's nice to see such a great product from the non-Apple world work exactly like it does everywhere else in the world of Apple. It's exactly what we need.

And not only that, I can trust that it works, and it has cool tab browsing....

Ben

Mike Gagne

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2001
Maui, Hawaii
Originally posted by Foocha 3. Job's is bigger than Sculley, in media terms, and Apple is bigger than any startup, unless Sculley's announcement really is something like a cure for cancer (unlikely).

....and just like most of todays cancer cures that usually kill the patient Scully almost cured Apple

imct

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
misinformation

Originally posted by Mike Gagne

....and just like most of todays cancer cures that usually kill the patient Scully almost cured Apple

it's very sad that some people spread false information about the current clinical practice against cancer. if you were in the field you would know that today mortality rates from treatment are very low, as we have new strategies against treatment side effects.
what kills people is cancer, not good clinical practice, and I wish we could avoid misinformation in a difficult battle like the one that science and people are fighting against neoplasia.
I know this isn't the proper place to discuss this matter, but I just can't stand this kind of urban legends. believe what you want, but don't publish it unless there is up-to-date and unbiased evidence.

regards

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Re: misinformation

Originally posted by imct

it's very sad that some people spread false information about the current clinical practice against cancer. if you were in the field you would know that today mortality rates from treatment are very low, as we have new strategies against treatment side effects.
what kills people is cancer, not good clinical practice, and I wish we could avoid misinformation in a difficult battle like the one that science and people are fighting against neoplasia.
I know this isn't the proper place to discuss this matter, but I just can't stand this kind of urban legends. believe what you want, but don't publish it unless there is up-to-date and unbiased evidence.

regards

Relax. I think you can hardly call a macrumors post as "publishing it". Dude made his point. We all understood his point and so did you. Spare us the condescending rhetoric about the integrity of medicine.

imct

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
Re: Re: misinformation

Originally posted by buffsldr

Relax. I think you can hardly call a macrumors post as "publishing it". Dude made his point. We all understood his point and so did you. Spare us the condescending rhetoric about the integrity of medicine.

I am relaxed. I don't know about doctors in the USA, but on this side of the Atlantic medicine is pretty much working your arse off for a good thing and not getting paid that much (unless of course you're an old ob/gyn or ophtalmologist) and we're also happy doing it. Here we have free medical insurance for all citizens, and we work with a fixed wage most of the times. I don't know about your integrity, buffsldr, but I know that I've got some and most of my colleagues here do. End of story.

jenkij

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2002
Does live pictures inc. still exist? didn't Sculley have something going on with that? I have searched all the national news sites and really can't find anything.

hal9000

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2002
John Sculley's announcement is...

...drum roll please...

...his new company called InPhonic that will provide wireless bidding services for eBay for $2.99 per month.

:eek:

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by hal9000
John Sculley's announcement is...

...drum roll please...

...his new company called InPhonic that will provide wireless bidding services for eBay for $2.99 per month.

:eek:

Wow. That's... um... okay, that sucks.

Why is it that every business I see with Sculley at the helm just screams "doomed" to me? That "Gizmoz" company... yeesh. Maybe somebody should tell him he could just flush the money down the toilet quicker. Probably says something about why his tenure at Apple was less than spectacular.

Mike Gagne

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2001
Maui, Hawaii
Scully and cancer

regards

You are right about cancer......I should know as I have had friends die of it and have had it myself.......I didnt die thanks to quick acting dedicated medical pros. Now Scully....maybe he is a cancer and not the "cure" that I tried to intimate he was......maybe we all imitate cancer at times.....growing to fast and taking all we can get from our host.......In the middle of this dark humor was a thread of a point that was made as a metaphor....I did not intend to disparage..... Regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.