Tuesday's WSJ iPhone 5 article

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikethebigo, Oct 3, 2011.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

May 25, 2009
  2. cheesesteak22 macrumors member

Sep 21, 2011
  3. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Mar 4, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    The WSJ articles, the Photostream icon, the leaked case designs and just by the competition (Samsung Galaxy, Droid Bionic etc), I am almost certain there will be an iPhone 5.

If the iPhone 4S is the only phone that is announced, it will be a disappointment to consumers looking for Apples competition to Android and Windows Phones.

Tim Cook will start off with a bang by introducing the iPhone 5 and having a FaceTime convo with Steve!
  4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Jan 17, 2009
    Surfers Paradise
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got to read the important stuff for free. While I've all but completely lost hope in a redesign - it is surprising that Apple wouldn't tell a reputible publication like the WSJ to stop building up hope if it doesn't exist.
  5. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

May 25, 2009
    This is the most important part:

"Apple Inc. is expected to unveil Tuesday the newest version of a device that has helped bolster the company's fortunes more than any other in recent years: the iPhone.

General expectations for what has widely and unofficially been dubbed the iPhone 5 are for a slimmer device with a larger touch screen, an improved camera and a relatively speedy chip of the same variety found in the current version of Apple's iPad tablet. There also has been some speculation about possible voice-command capability."

No, it's not a controlled leak, but it's also not a controlled denial. If Apple didn't want people to expect a bigger screen, WSJ would know.
  6. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2011
    San Diego, CA
  7. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Oct 12, 2006
    How is more speculation "important"?
  8. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

May 25, 2009
    Because it's the Wall Street Journal. You know what they print has some weight. I'm not quoting another BGR post or anything here.
  9. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Oct 12, 2006
    Right... but the Wall Street Journal spouting speculation is still just... speculation.

If the WSJ knows something, they actually write it.
  10. admanimal macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2005
    Why are those the only two options? Why can't it just be a generic summary news piece, which is exactly what it sounds like?
  11. saving107 macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    This is the time when every blogger/reporter comes out with their last minute speculation/guesses so that once Apple makes their announcement tomorrow, anyone who is close to being accurate can claim they knew all along and for future events claim to have "Better Source's", which will result in more page clicks to their site.

This is why BGR and WSJ have been getting more coverage this time around.

Why Gene Munster, an analyst at Piper Jaffray, continues to grab headlines is beyond me. I don't think he's ever been right.
  12. cheesesteak22 macrumors member

Sep 21, 2011
  13. Peace macrumors Core

Apr 1, 2005
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    The most important part is the friggin date of the article. It clearly says Oct. 3rd.
    that would be today kids.
  14. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

May 25, 2009
    Because, again, if Apple wanted us to think there would be no chassis redesign, AllthingsD or the WSJ (same thing) would be notified. Apple almost never allows unreasonable rumors to persist through to the day of the event.

Just like how by the time the iPad 2 came out, rumors of the retina display were completely dispelled:

15. admanimal macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2005
    I think you are seriously overestimating how involved Apple gets with these things.
  16. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2010
    St. Louis
    I would absolutely love to see a redesigned iPhone 5 with a larger screen, but you know what? If we don't get that, I'll be more than glad to welcome a 4S, or whatever it may be.
  17. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2009
    You're kidding, right -- Apple makes a living out of selectively releasing information to journalists to control the flow of news about their products.

Unless you REALLY think when someone at WSJ or otherwise says "a source close to Apple" or "spoke on the condition of anonymity" that it literally means someone who secretly leaked something to the press. In which case you'd be incredibly naive.
  18. EddyP macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2010
    Not exactly. They mention "general expectations" and "unofficial". It's not confirming or anything. They're just reporting what the rumors are.

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2005
    I understand that this can happen, but the OP is talking as if Apple has complete control over what the WSJ prints.

Also notice the language that they use in this iPhone article as opposed to the iPad 2 article. This iPhone article has a lot of "is expected" and "possibly" while the iPad 2 article stated things as fact.
  20. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2009
    If tomorrow is just a garbage spec bump 4S release, I'd be very curious to know why Apple wasn't out controlling the lead a lot more strongly on this story.

A lot of people who are usually very well sourced to Apple (especially at WSJ) are still in the dark about what's going on. You'd think, given the way Apple has done controlled leaks in the past, they'd have the blogs and news media working to push expectations to software (this silly "Assistant" feature) instead of frothing at the mouth about hardware that is guaranteed to disappoint the general public.

In a sense, they do.

If the WSJ is still running with this "bigger screen / slimmer form factor" line, an Apple contact can make 1 phone call to the WSJ and say "don't expect that" or "didn't hear it from me, but it's the 4S not the 5."

It doesn't benefit Apple to have wild speculation out there in advance of the event if they're planning on underdelivering badly. They'd be wiser to temper expectations on the hardware and focus more on the software.

Instead, they've let the tech world get all frothed up about a redesigned iPhone and it's going to undoubtedly leave a lot of customers and people in the media feeling flat.
  21. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

May 25, 2009
    I'm not at all saying they have complete control. But they do provide information. And information from Apple = the information you're going to print.

They have a PR department that is brilliant at manipulating popular opinion and the media. They would have put these iPhone 5 rumors to rest.

Hell, most publications are even now calling a 4S only event the "worst case scenario."
  22. asleep macrumors 68040

Sep 26, 2007
    You should get long AAPL prior to the announcement if you think so highly of that WSJ article. :rolleyes:
  23. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

May 25, 2009
    I posted the article, and said it sounded like good news to me. I'm not printing out the article and putting it in a diamond laced gold frame. I'm just saying, from the WSJ, it's reassuring to continue hearing these things.

Man, you guys get nasty late at night.