Turbo Boost not kicking in on Win 7 Boot Camp on 2013 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MuffinPie, Jul 16, 2013.

1. MuffinPie macrumors newbie

There seems to be a problem with Turbo Boost on my MBA 2013 i7/8/256 when running boot camp on Windows 7.
    I ran a few CPU demanding programs and games (but no actual benchmarks) and used CPU-Z to monitor core clocks and even under a 100% load they were sitting idly at 800MHz with a multiplier of 8x.
    I was suspecting Haswell is downclocking itself after reaching a certain temperature (mine reach into the 90's regularly under heavy loads) but even at 75 (and rising) it was still at the same values.
    Now I am missing a few Windows Updates but those are pretty much all security updates so I don't think that's where the problem is.
    After googling a bit I noticed that someone mentioned the same problem was with the 2012 MBA and that it was later fixed with an EFI update. Unfortunately there is no such update for the 2013 models...

Did anyone else run into this problem or am I just missing some Apple drivers?

tl;dr: CPU clock doesn't change for me in Boot Camp, am I the only one?

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That's how Turbo Boost works.

Your computer can run at high speed under low load, because it is all nice and cool. Under load, it has to slow down to keep the heat under control. And the chip doesn't clock down for temperature alone, it clocks down to keep average power consumption below 15 Watt.

3. MuffinPie thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense, but the clock remains the same when not under load. I'd expect it to at least move around a certain value. Perhaps you or someone could suggest some sort of benchmark to see if it goes up at all under the right circumstances...