Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I know how to solve our 'Port" problem, you have all your boats meet some 5 miles out in sea at a "Sea Port" (or further, not sure about that range) then have a massive cargo transport (using oil rig technology)

the outside ships HAVE to port there, then trasfer their cargo to a "runner" ship, which only moves from harbor to the "Sea Port". This will give us time to inspect almost all the cargo, and the Coast Guard can blow away any run away ships within that time frame.

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
That sounds plausible, however, you have to remember the amount of cargo and ships that come through major ports like Houston every day.

It would be hard to search each individual ship and still have a steady flow of imports/exports.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
Sorry, I hope you enjoy the 2 megaton bomb then. It would not be hard to enforce...and would actually shorten ship transport times. They could unload, then move out ASAP....

I think it's worthwhile (for the protection of our people, infrastructure, etc etc)
as far as exports go, the transport ships can carry it out to the "Sea Port" or just say to hell with the rest of the world.... Here's our goods, take 'em.

Its the imports we are mostly conserned about (if the Gvmnt could keep its hands on it's own nucleaur stock pile & secrets, AKA Texas)

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by big
Sorry, I hope you enjoy the 2 megaton bomb then. It would not be hard to enforce...and would actually shorten ship transport times. They could unload, then move out ASAP....

Ah, sorry, I misread your first post.

I misunderstood the part about the "runner" ships.

It's all good. I like the idea. :)

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
WOOOO HOO, can I now be the official US Defense Advisor to MacRumors?

the first order of buisness would be to require you all to emai your user names & passwords (for your safe keeping)

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by big
WOOOO HOO, can I now be the official US Defense Advisor to MacRumors?

the first order of buisness would be to require you all to emai your user names & passwords (for your safe keeping)

Ehm....no...don't go all Orwellian on us now.. ;)

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Originally posted by Hemingray

Some religions that did so way back when have matured/evolved (depending on how you look at it) and no longer find it necessary to kill the "heathens" that don't happen to believe what they do. Here in the U.S. you are much less likely to see someone die for their beliefs than in parts of China or Afghanistan, for example.

We are extremely fortunate.

religion is a stupid excuse to go to war anyway, look closer at any 'holy book' and it will preach tolerance and peace. Anyway, life in the US might be safer (until that 'Ministry of Homeland Security' thing gets the green light), but that does not keep the US government from supporting oppressive regimes throughout the world. Kill not for religion, but for profit.

The Talibans were big friends in the 90's since they kept Russia away from oil resources in Afghanistan so US companies could exploit them...The same things are happening in south and central America and Africa, although for different economic interests. Reminds me of the Australian 'bug' problem: you want to get rid of bugs that eat your veggies, so you introduce a frog that eats the bugs, only to realize that the frogs don't have any predators and soon become the new plague...

I am not saying that America is more 'evil' than other countries (every country looks after its own interests in the first place), but it is the most powerfull nation in the world and thus most likely to make the biggest damage outside of its borders by interfering in foreign affairs...the current administration seems to think that the only way around this is to own the world (remember the words: you are either with us, or against us). Strange logic.

Politics on MR again...sorry.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by hitman
I thought it was interesting that the picture of the evidence showed the words "Made in W. Germany" on the side of the container..

Heh. How's that for irony..

Can you explain what the irony part is and why it is so interesting in your opinion?

Just for your information...

1. It is just the container.

2. It must be way older than 10 years, because WEST Germany doesn't exist since almost exactly 11 years anymore. (October 3rd, 1991)

groovebuster

MacBandit

macrumors 604
My theory all along has been to go to each middle east government and secretly tell them that we're on your side and give them a few nukes each. Also we set up the whole thing for them with built in M.A.D. system and then when as soon as we are done we remotely set one of them off and watch the whole middle east turn into a big canal between the Mediteranean and the Indian Ocean.

If done right no one would be the smarter and everyone in the world would just sit back and go damn guess they really had nukes and hated eachother. Seeing how all the evidence would have been vaporized. Yes they would be able to determine the plutonium came from us but they wouldn't be able to find out how they got it.

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by groovebuster

2. It must be way older than 10 years, because WEST Germany doesn't exist since almost exactly 11 years anymore. (October 3rd, 1991)

Yes, thank you for that insightful comment.

Having lived in the former West Germany and with relatives in the former DDR, I do know that Germany is no longer divided.

I thought it was interesting. I do not have to explain myself any further.

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by etoiles

The Talibans were big friends in the 90's since they kept Russia away from oil resources in Afghanistan so US companies could exploit them.

America supported the Mujaden in the late 80s.

They later morphed into the Taliban.

America's goal was not to "keep Russia away from oil resources." Our goal was to halt Soviet expansionism.

Tell me of any major oil deposits in Afganistan..
That's right, there are none.

The major oil reserves in the region are centered around the Caspian Sea area and Uzbeckistan. Not Afganistan.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Nuclear weapons

The truth is that the Rusians and all of its former alies are deseparate for money and they will sell the know how or the weapons to the higesht bidder

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by beatle888
this is just a mess...i miss john lennon.

"All you need is love" - True...but that only works in Utopia..

People are not perfect.. ;) :D :p

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Re: Nuclear weapons

Originally posted by Wash!!
The truth is that the Rusians and all of its former alies are deseparate for money and they will sell the know how or the weapons to the higesht bidder

Exactly.

The Russian military infrastructure is falling apart at the seams.

What's to stop a rogue general from selling a couple of his nukes on the black market to earn a couple of million dollars on the side?

They need the money and have no qualms giving nukes to the highest bidder.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Don't forget the Chinese

The Chinese and North Korea also sell their nuke tech to other countries just ask pakistan and india.

It's very scary to think but at the end of the cold war the russians developed small tactical nukes 1-10 megatons that fit on a medium side bag, they rumor that they made 20 but they only can account for 10 of them and guess what one the one they found was in their embasy in NY which they took back and the end of the cold war in the early 90's.

Just food for thought.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Having lived in the former West Germany and with relatives in the former DDR, I do know that Germany is no longer divided.

I thought it was interesting. I do not have to explain myself any further.

Congratulations... so you are an expert. ;)

a) I didn't say that you didn't know that, but just wanted to remind you that this is relatively long ago. That indicates that the container must be pretty old already... and it does look old.

b) You were talking about irony and I think it is no offense to ask what the irony is you see in the fact that the container is a way more than 10 years old one, which could have been bought anywhere in the world (probably in Russia) and was manufactured in the old West-Germany.

Of course you don't need to explain yourself if you don't like to, but now you look like a little boy who was catched with the hand in the cookie jar. You wanted to tell people something with your comment and I am interested to know what exactly it was.

groovebuster

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Here is another

NY Times
NEWS ALERT !!!
Bush Says Use of Military Force May Be Unavoidable if Iraq Resists Weapons Inspections (1:18 p.m. ET)

The attacks on Iraq it's going to start any minute now

The end is comming!!!

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp

America supported the Mujaden in the late 80s.

They later morphed into the Taliban.

America's goal was not to "keep Russia away from oil resources." Our goal was to halt Soviet expansionism.

Tell me of any major oil deposits in Afganistan..
That's right, there are none.

The major oil reserves in the region are centered around the Caspian Sea area and Uzbeckistan. Not Afganistan.

Apparently, the CIA supported the TALIBANS until 1997, pretty scary, I know. And the American companies had interests in the oil pipelines that go through Afganistan, sorry about the confusing wording. I can dig up some more info, if you are interested.

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by etoiles

Apparently, the CIA supported the TALIBANS until 1997, pretty scary, I know. And the American companies had interests in the oil pipelines that go through Afganistan, sorry about the confusing wording. I can dig up some more info, if you are interested.

Nah, don't worry about the wording of your post.

That is true that there are pipelines that run through Afganistan. So I guess in a way, we do have oil interests in the country, even if it is not production or exploration.

It's all good. :) :cool:

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by groovebuster

Of course you don't need to explain yourself if you don't like to, but now you look like a little boy who was catched with the hand in the cookie jar. You wanted to tell people something with your comment and I am interested to know what exactly it was.

groovebuster

Fine.

I thought it was "ironic" and "interesting" due to two reasons:

1. W. Germany no longer exists; the container could have come from anywhere.

and

2. After Schoeder's views on any action against Iraq, I thought it was "ironic" that the container in which the uranium was found was made in W. Germany. - However, as stated above, it could have come from anywhere. At the time of my post I was simply accepting the container at face value.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
Uranium

Uranium is not very dangerous by itself, in its natural state. However, if used properly, it can be extremely devastating. Of course, I'm sure you all already know this.

I'm just trying to make a point that you shouldn't worry about terrorists putting Uranium in the water supply or air or anything like that. For middle eastern countries, Uranium is scarce and is a precious commodity. If they were going to use it against anyone, it would be in the form of a radioactive attack. Uranium isn't really dangerous until it is blasted with neutrons. I would be more worried about something like Strontium-90 getting in the water supply than Uranium.

Personally, I am worried about every little bit of Uranium that Iraq *might* get its hands on. It doesn't take much to make a powerful weapon. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki used about 0.5% of the potential power in the bombs. That was because the technology wasn't sufficiently advanced to be any more efficient. These days, I'm sure that the efficiency of nuclear weapons has gone up dramatically, so it would take far less fissile material to make a bomb with the power of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs.

Just so that you know, it isn't that hard for middle eastern countries to get nuclear technology. Pakistan got it simply by lying to Canada (yes, Canada is responsible for Pakistan's nukes). And before anyone starts to rag on Canada, I am Canadian and am very ashamed of my government's mistake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.