Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MSNBC recently spoke with several GPS manufacturers about their plans to develop a turn-by-turn GPS solution for the iPhone. While the manufacturers were unable to provide many details about their plans, TomTom reasserted that they do have GPS navigation working on the iPhone and that it works well:
“We have made our navigation system run on the iPhone; it looks good and works very well,” said Dutch-based company TomTom, in a statement to msnbc.com. “We will have to look more closely to Apple’s strategy before we can say more about what kind of opportunities this will bring us.”
There has been some debate about whether or not the terms of the iPhone SDK would allow such an application, but once analyst claims that when he spoke to Apple "they didn’t say such applications would be prohibited." Obviously, though, there are remaining issues surrounding the deployment of such an application which Apple's Greg Joswiak has described as "complicated".

While some are speculating that Apple may be working on their own GPS navigation solution, others believe that a 3rd party solution will become available before year's end.

Article Link

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Gimme. Gimme. Gimme.

oh yeah and since he said the "antenna was too small for that" david pogue should spend more time learning about the product and less time singing and making stupid videos about it and print a retraction since Josniack already said it could do turn by turn.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
San Francisco, CA
GPS is one of the main reasons I bought the new IPhone. The other programs that tell you what's nearby have little to no value to me. If Tom Tom's software is ready to go, I wonder what the hold up is...?

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
GPS is one of the main reasons I bought the new IPhone. The other programs that tell you what's nearby have little to no value to me. If Tom Tom's software is ready to go, I wonder what the hold up is...?

Based on the 2.1 leaks. It seems the api was not full featured enough to allow devs to get granualr info needed for turn by turn. This it seems is being added to the api so devs will be able to use 2.1 to supply us with turn by burn GPS solutions.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Typically the GPS chip in cell phone is NOT accurate enough due to its small antenna (although Apple's implementation of GPS with cell and wifi to locate the user makes it better and faster in populated areas). Think about it, typial GPS antenna is about 1/4 size of iPhone.

In addition, bad placement of any GPS device will affect its reception and accuracy / power consumption.

There are other issues with GPS on any phone. It would be great to have it, but the challenge is more than "can they make a gui" or "can they connect to the api"

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
Herein lies the dealbreaker for me.

If TomTom comes to the iPhone, I can get shot of my Winblows Mobile PDA - which was only bought because the iPhone at the time didn't have a GPS receiver.

*waits patiently for TomTom to release iNavigator for iPhone* :D

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Some sort of Google Maps GPS would not be so bad for the first iPhone. Not say a location specific one like "turn right in 20 feet", but something to announce directions as they approach, so I don't have to hit the next step while I'm traveling somewhere.

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
In my view the best thing TomTom can do is sell this at something like $59 (£30) software only, or $129 £65 with a plug in antenna. Maybe the antenna could be a part of the suction pad that can hold it to your windscreen. It could then have a separate wire going to the cig lighter so charging your iphone, giving it strong GPS signal and a mounting place all in one unit. Maybe going even further they could build in handsfree speaker phone.

Alot of potential here me thinks...

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Surely the biggest issue is integrating it with the iPhone os so taking a call while using the gps doesn't turn it off completely.

For that reason I expect apple to partner with one of the gps providers so the app is a bit more integrated, like the YouTube app.

Additionally if the antenna isn't powerful enough I an sure tomtom could make a small external accessory to boost the reception, and I imagine a landscape-orientation dock with power.

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Surely the biggest issue is integrating it with the iPhone os so taking a call while using the gps doesn't turn it off completely.

For that reason I expect apple to partner with one of the gps providers so the app is a bit more integrated, like the YouTube app.

Additionally if the antenna isn't powerful enough I an sure tomtom could make a small external accessory to boost the reception, and I imagine a landscape-orientation dock with power.

ha! great minds and all that..?! ^^^

smokeonit

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
i hope tomtom includes the bluetooth stack for an external bluetooth GPS so we iphone 2G owners can run tomtom on our iphones as well!!!!!!!

if not apple sucks BIG TME!

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
In my view the best thing TomTom can do is sell this at something like $59 (£30) software only, or $129 £65 with a plug in antenna. Maybe the antenna could be a part of the suction pad that can hold it to your windscreen. It could then have a separate wire going to the cig lighter so charging your iphone, giving it strong GPS signal and a mounting place all in one unit. Maybe going even further they could build in handsfree speaker phone.

Alot of potential here me thinks...

I agree. A low base price then add ons like live traffic that can be subscription would be a good mix IMO.

Hopefully they are looking at the price points in the app store and are taking notice.

peterbaby

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Another issue...

Hey,

Another issue you guys don't mention is the "form" of the potential TomTom (or Apple) GPS nav software.

• Will it be available with one-time download maps?
  • Does anybody know the storage limitation for Apps/dependencies one the iPhone 3G?

Problem we have in Europe is roaming...drive for 2 hours and you're out of the borders...
Basically (except for people who never cross a border, i.e. people who may not have an iPhone :p) a "Google Map" style app, requiring permanent connection to load map would just be a dealbreaker for me.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
i hope tomtom includes the bluetooth stack for an external bluetooth GPS so we iphone 2G owners can run tomtom on our iphones as well!!!!!!!

You'd blame Apple for TomTom's shortcomings?:confused:

dloomer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Anyone else finding that GPS drains their 3G iPhone faster than their car can charge it? I've had this experience in two different cars, and otherwise my phone seems to hold a charge pretty well.

If it's not just me, I wonder how good an idea this will end up being, unless some firmware update can address the problem.

Zyren

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Typically the GPS chip in cell phone is NOT accurate enough due to its small antenna (although Apple's implementation of GPS with cell and wifi to locate the user makes it better and faster in populated areas). Think about it, typial GPS antenna is about 1/4 size of iPhone.

In addition, bad placement of any GPS device will affect its reception and accuracy / power consumption.

There are other issues with GPS on any phone. It would be great to have it, but the challenge is more than "can they make a gui" or "can they connect to the api"

most PDA phones have no problem at all with turn by turn GPS. Owning an ATT tilt, i use my phones GPS all the time for turn by turn and it is very accurate.

A car charger solves all the problems of battery drainage. Yes, it takes about 25-30% of my battery per hour using GPS, but with a car changer my battery doesnt go down at all. To people who walk with their GPS...well it cant be perfect, you'll just have to live with the bad battery life or get a dedicated unit.

I am very content with the GPS in my phone and will use all the time as long as i have this phone. If Apple cannot implement a GPS as well as all the other windows mobile PDA phones or symbian phones then i guess they are doing something wrong.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I think it would be better if they made a dock with a built in GPS antennae which your Phone or Touch could slip in to. All the software would be on the iPhone/Touch and a better quality GPS system and continuous power would be in the cradle. As the cradle doesn't need a screen or any complicated processor, it would be pretty cheap.

barabics

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2003

I don't think TomTom or Apple really care. :eek:

It's in the best interest for both companies to provide TBTDirection Software to GPS enabled devices. Unfortunately, in the case of those without it, they'll want you to upgrade to their respective GPS products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.