Turn by Turn GPS - Help me understand.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lordhamster, Mar 17, 2009.

1. lordhamster macrumors 6502

Since the iphone 3G came out, the #1 feature I've wanted is turn by turn gps apps like TomTom or Garmin or Telenav.

Today they announced that the 3.0 SDK will make turn by turn possible by allowing access to core location.

I thought 2.0 already had access to core location. I have half a dozen apps that know where I am. And there already is one turn by turn app out there (lame as it is.)

What is new in 3.0 that would make turn by turn any easier? Its not like developers will be able to use the maps... as they said, the developers will need to supply their own maps.

Maybe I just missed something major, but I'm confused.

2. lordhamster thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody has any insight? No SDK developers on here?

3. Double J macrumors member

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Capabilities for turn-by-turn were always there. If you jailbreak your phone, there is already an app out there called xGPS.

However, people who make turn-by-turn direction apps must build their own maps since there are licensing issues using Google Maps.

In this case, Garmin, TomTom and anyone who already makes these devices are going to have an upper hand.

5. lordhamster thread starter macrumors 6502

You don't even need to jailbreak. There already is a legal (yet lame) program in the appstore called XRoad G-Map app.

If this made it to the appstore, then why haven't Tomtom or Garmin or telenav or anyone else tried?