Turn georiot off

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Sheza, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

This is annoying the crap out of me. Every time someone posts a case / accessory via Amazon, instead of being taken to the Amazon US product page I am forcibly taken to the Amazon UK page and 9/10 they don't have a match for that product so it just results in a stupid search page with a bunch of barely relevant keywords chucked in.

Is there a way to turn this pain in the backside off? I have only ever seen this system in place at MacRumors. Why?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is supposed to do exactly what you are describing. It tries to ID your locale by your IP address then takes you to your local Amazon store. You might be able to disable it by using an extension like JSBlocker or similar and block that bit of Javascript from running.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

4. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

I get that it's working 'as planned', the problem is that the plan is very different to the practice. Many products are not available on local Amazon websites. A few are, and when they do it works well, but most are not, especially cases and accessories (the majority of links that are posted via Amazon on MR). Instead of being able to view the product and consider importing it / seeing if I like it and then being able to see if it's available elsewhere in my country, I get a useless Amazon search page.

Thank you.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... I get that. I was just explaining what it does and suggesting a possible work around. :)

6. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

I agree completely. Please disable it Arn.

7. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

A few months on and I am still suffering from clicking Amazon US links from other users and being taken to a useless Amazon UK search page.....

8. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

Another year has passed by, and Georiot still plagues this forum. Many Amazon links I click will re-direct to a search result on the UK Amazon page that does NOT have what the poster linked to.