Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
US
Anyone know how to turn this off so it doesn't start up? No point since I won't use it and on my G3 iBook it seems Tiger is slower and I think this may be why.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Actually, Dashboard doesn't use much memory at all, unlike its memory hog of a cousin Konfabulator. In fact, the only thing taking up memory is the widgets themselves.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I don't know if you can turn it off. But...I do know that widgets use more resources than dashboard. If you don't drag any widgets from your widget bar to the desktop, dashboard will use almost no resources because no widgets will be in memory.

Edit: beaten to the punch :(

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
US
My dock doesnt seem terribly responsive, seems choppy, so I was thinking dashboard had something to do with it. 10.3.9 was butter

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2003
Lucky736 said:
My dock doesnt seem terribly responsive, seems choppy, so I was thinking dashboard had something to do with it. 10.3.9 was butter

Are you sure Spotlight isn't still indexing? Everything will be a little slow until it is finished. Could take an hour or more.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Open up Dashboard, make all widgets NOT running (ie close them) and then just change the hot key/hot corner to nothing and Dashboard will just be an idle background process that doesn't ever do anything.

It really doesn't use much at all for ram or processing power.

How fast is your iBook's processor?
Is it a G3 or G4?
What type of install did you do?

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Lucky736 said:

I have the same problem on my eMac. The dock grow/shrink effect, expose, genie effect, even scrolling up and down was very choppy with Tiger installed. I don't understand why, but I had to go back to Panther to get everything nice and smooth again. And yes, I wanted an entire day to let everything index and it was still choppy.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Jigglelicious said:
I have the same problem on my eMac. The dock grow/shrink effect, expose, genie effect, even scrolling up and down was very choppy with Tiger installed. I don't understand why, but I had to go back to Panther to get everything nice and smooth again. And yes, I wanted an entire day to let everything index and it was still choppy.

Your emac is faster, and has more ram than my powerbook, but it's all butter here. How much do you have running?

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
Kingsnapped said:
Your emac is faster, and has more ram than my powerbook, but it's all butter here. How much do you have running?

Regardless on Tiger his eMac is slow and choppy and on Panther it is not, and the point is Apple should be making it FASTER with updates.

papersushi

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Dashboard is not like Konfabulator which is a pure add-on app on the top of the OS. Konfabulator is a memory eater which will slow down any machine's performance.

Dashboard actually untilize almost 0% CPU and Memory usage when its not being actived (brought to the front). There should be no performance difference if you disable it or not even on a G3 iBook.

PB_deprived

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2005
Southern CA
The problem here might be the GPU

Okay, I'm only a designer, and only understand an inkling of OS X's engine, but I was reading something on the Ars Technica review of Tiger that sounded similar to the issues people are having here with Tiger's graphics being choppy.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/1

The review said something about the eye candy in Tiger requiring a programmable GPU. I also remember reading that iBooks and eMacs do not have programmable GPU's whereas PowerBooks do. Could this be a root of the problem? If anybody knows more about this issue, I'm curious to find out. Hope this helps, or at least is a point in the right direction by any luck.

Cheers

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
I heard that Quartz Extreme was disabled by default in tiger... maybe i misread.. can anyone actually confirm this? they said it had to be enabled ina debug menu... NOTE I COULD BE WRONG.. so don't flip out until someone actually confirms...

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
I don't think you can turn dashboard off, it doesn't have any windows and can't take menu focus. It's also coupled with expose in the prefs panel, which suggests it's just part of the OS like expose. For what it's worth, I noticed significant performance gains in Tiger even compared to the already fast Panther. Of course, I have a programmable GPU, but Tiger is much faster for me.

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
DXoverDY said:
I heard that Quartz Extreme was disabled by default in tiger... maybe i misread.. can anyone actually confirm this? they said it had to be enabled ina debug menu... NOTE I COULD BE WRONG.. so don't flip out until someone actually confirms...

Quartz 2D Extreme is disabled by default in Tiger. Regular Quartz Extreme is still in effect. Depending upon your graphic card, this may be of little consequence to some.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
toneloco2881 said:
Quartz 2D Extreme is disabled by default in Tiger. Regular Quartz Extreme is still in effect. Depending upon your graphic card, this may be of little consequence to some.

ok what exactly is the difference? 2D extreme just a drawing package? kinda taking over whatever it was called...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yes, I heard something similar. I heard you had to go to some sort of Debug menu to turn on Quartz Extreme, but I'm not sure if there's a difference between Quartz 2D Extreme and Quartz Extreme. Actually, I thought Quartz Extreme only handled 2D, while CoreImage now handles 3D.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Abstract said:
Yes, I heard something similar. I heard you had to go to some sort of Debug menu to turn on Quartz Extreme, but I'm not sure if there's a difference between Quartz 2D Extreme and Quartz Extreme. Actually, I thought Quartz Extreme only handled 2D, while CoreImage now handles 3D.

If there is a shadow behind your pointer arrow, like mine has behind it right now, Quartz Extreme is active. I am not sure about Quartz 2D however. This little program will tell you if your video card supports it and if it is active as well.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/15911&mode=feedback

jacobweber

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2003
Why do these "widgets" take up so much memory? A calculator using 17 megs of RAM is insane.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
US
So theres no way to turn it off. Like the poster said earlier, if it has the black arrow it is running. I could care less about dashboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.