Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FriedPotatoes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Is there any way to turn on my late 2008 macbook without having to open the lid and use my cinema display as the primary display? The power button for the macbook is located under the closed lid.

Currently, I have to opening the lid of the macbook, wait for it to boot, then close the lid, then wait a few seconds, then wake it up with bluetooth mouse or keyboard.

This is my configuration:

Macbook (late 2008, unibody)
24" Apple LED Cinema Display
Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse and Wireless Keyboard

Thanks a lot.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
why not just put your MB to sleep instead of shutting it down ? Then next time you use it.. simply move your mouse or press a key on your keyboard.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You can open the lid, press the power button and close the lid immediately and then you don't have to do that close lid and rewake step.

According to Apple support; they didn't design the LED display to be used a primary, but rather as a supplement.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Also, if you have a USB keyboard that has a power button on it, the Mac does turn on to that. (Like the old original iMac-era Apple USB Keyboard.)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Many generic USB keyboards have a power button on them. None of Apple's recent ones do, though.

But this a Mac we're talking about; not some generic PC with a wake from USB option; plus that only works on select desktops.

Unless you have a switch that is wired from the keyboard to the physical power supply, that's of no use.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
According to Apple support; they didn't design the LED display to be used a primary, but rather as a supplement.

LoL wut. Why would they design a supplemental display with a camera and speakers if it was supposed to be off to the side. Apple support for the lose.

Op, you won't be able to power the machine on externally. This functionality was removed with the old school macs because it used a voltage pin via the USB keyboard, something that was present in the keyboard and the machine itself, but removed because of fire hazards. If there were any apple approved way to do this, it would be prominently displayed on advertisements and manuals.

However, if you want to operate your machine in clamshell mode, you are doing too much work. Simply turn on the machine and close it immediately after. This will utilize the external display from the start.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
LoL wut. Why would they design a supplemental display with a camera and speakers if it was supposed to be off to the side. Apple support for the lose.

You didn't understand what was meant. The Apple LED CD as it is now is a sort of docking station for new Alu. Macbooks. It is a supplement, but it can be used as a primary monitor in that rôle.

OP, why not just put the Macbook to sleep/hibernate instead of shutting it down ? That's the best solution to your problem.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
But this a Mac we're talking about; not some generic PC with a wake from USB option; plus that only works on select desktops.

Unless you have a switch that is wired from the keyboard to the physical power supply, that's of no use.

Funny, it works just fine on all of my Macs. There is no need for a switch wired from the keyboard to the power supply. Ever since 1996, the "ATX" power supply has been the standard on PCs, and Macs have used an equivalent.

Part of this specification includes a certain amount of power running through the system at all times, as long as there is power applied to the power supply. (Some power supply units have an extra 'physical off' switch on them, that is technically *NOT* a part of the ATX specification. Per ATX spec, if you plug it into the wall, it should be providing power.) Specifically, 5 Volts at 2-ish Amps. This provides power to run certain subsystems, even when the computer is "off". The most notable uses of this are "Wake on LAN", and "Wake on keyboard". While the term 'Wake' is used, implying "from sleep mode", they can be used to power a system completely on.

There is no direct wire connection from a power switch to the power supply with this, it is logic on the motherboard. A tiny part of the network card, or modem, or USB controller, are always active, waiting solely to receive a signal that they recognize as 'wake'. The motherboard then sends the 'power on' signal to the power supply.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Just sleep it rather than shutting it down, and use InsomniaX to prevent it from sleeping with the lid shut.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Just sleep it rather than shutting it down, and use InsomniaX to prevent it from sleeping with the lid shut.

With the 24" LED display connected and the computer on, you just close the lid and when the 24" display goes off and the computer's sleep light pulsates, you wake it with a click of the mouse or any key on the external keyboard. The display then comes on. The pulsating sleep light on the computer becomes a steady light.
When you've finished, the computer and 24" display will go to sleep again according to your preferences timings. When you want to start work again, say next morning, just click the mouse or a keyboard key to wake everything up again.

FriedPotatoes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
This sucks. I don't really want to keep my computer in sleep mode. I just like to turn it off, then back on; and it's a nuisance needing to open the lid to do this.

I gather from previous replies, you can't set up your keyboard to turn on your mac with a press of a button, like you could on some PC BIOS configurations.

Anyone know of any aftermarket software utility that offer such a feature?

And yes, I am using my LED screen as a docking station. I paid enough for it...LoL. I need to maximize its benefits, like using it as a primary screen.:D

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
This sucks. I don't really want to keep my computer in sleep mode. I just like to turn it off, then back on; and it's a nuisance needing to open the lid to do this.

I gather from previous replies, you can't set up your keyboard to turn on your mac with a press of a button, like you could on some PC BIOS configurations.

And yes, I am using my LED screen as a docking station. I paid enough for it...LoL. I need to maximize its benefits, like using it as a primary screen.:D

Just use sleep, it seems like a far better idea then using some 3rd party hacks to get what you want.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
With the 24" LED display connected and the computer on, you just close the lid and when the 24" display goes off and the computer's sleep light pulsates, you wake it with a click of the mouse or any key on the external keyboard. The display then comes on. The pulsating sleep light on the computer becomes a steady light.
When you've finished, the computer and 24" display will go to sleep again according to your preferences timings. When you want to start work again, say next morning, just click the mouse or a keyboard key to wake everything up again.

Yes I know, but you still have to put it to sleep.

Not much good if you have downloads going or are in the middle of an IM conversation.. which is why using InsomniaX to disable lid sleep will solve this problem. :)

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
I find that waiting for the computer to boot up outweighs the negative of using sleep. Sleep is very reliable on Macs and I have never had a problem with sleep on Leopard other than what was caused by a bad battery in my friend's TiBook. Sleep would work with the org battery but never with replacement. My PowerBook has never had a sleep issue

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
I'd just put it to sleep. I'm waiting for my monitor to arrive, so I can pickup a BT keyboard and mouse and get my own docking station set up :p

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

So, might I ask why? On OS X, there is almost no reason to use off instead of sleep. My MacBook Pro lasts about four days in sleep mode on a full battery; so there is almost no power drain to be concerned about.

Sorry, but my suggestion is just to use sleep.

Well, most PCs don't allow an arbitrary key to power them on, only an arbitrary key to wake them up from sleep, just like the Mac. Again, if you feel like using a non-Apple (or a very old Apple,) USB keyboard that has a 'Power' button on it, that will work just fine. But I also understand the desire to use Bluetooth.

I have a Viewsonic monitor, and I use my MacBook Pro in a very similar configuration. I just plug in the power and video cables, and wake it up using only the external display. So I fully understand your desire to work that way. The whole 'off' thing is just the deal killer.

Really, go with sleep. Unless you tend to go two days unplugged between using the system, it's better. The only time I power my system completely off is when I *KNOW* I'm not going to be using it for at least two days. And the only time I ever restart OS X is when required to by a software install or update. I have no stability issues with it. Heck, my notebook ran as a desktop-replacement turned on 24/7, at 100% CPU load, for about six months, with no issues.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon

Apple doesn't believe in docking stations, so the sleep method is really your only practical recourse.

*Posted from my Sony TT with side-mounted power button and stand-alone docking station*

harry454

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
yes, or unless someone rights a app, or like why don't you use your apple remote, but your macbook into sleep and then use your apple remote to turn it back on?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
*Posted from my Sony TT with side-mounted power button and stand-alone docking station*

Must you stick it to the OP :p

yes, or unless someone rights a app, or like why don't you use your apple remote, but your macbook into sleep and then use your apple remote to turn it back on?

You could, but then again, it wouldn't be any use if you didn't plug an external keyboard in; and if you did plug an external keyboard in, why bother with the remote…

Mr Lizard

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2006
London, UK
I'd gladly put my MacBook to sleep, but when I turn off the apple led display by the wall outlet, the MacBook wakes up again.

Ihave a number of devices attached to the USB ports on the led display, so I'm guessing the power being cut to them is what wakes the laptop.

Annoying...

titusm

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
power consumption?

I have a similar system: wall mounted LED CD with MB unibody as home theatre. Closed lid mode to watch TV. Sleep mode via Apple Remote works just fine.

But I sometimes feel more comfortable with shutting the mac down rather than leaving it in sleep mode all the time. Does the MB need lots of power when in sleepmode 24/7 or does it damage my MB? (Power supply via the displays MagSafe-Connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.