Turning Macbook on and off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by originalcliche, Nov 9, 2007.

1. originalcliche macrumors member

Hey all

I just picked up a new MacBook and can't be happier with it. I hate windows compared to the Leapord OS, its so much better but anyways

I use the MacBook alot for music production but im really busy right now so what I will do is like work on the mac for like 2 hours and then have to leave for a bit so I shut it down and turn everything off and unplugg the power cable. I am doing this at least 3 maybe 4 times a day. Will this hurt the mac in any way? I know it might be a dumb question but Id rather ask and find out then keep doing what IM doing and ruin it.

Thanks in advance

cheers

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've never shutdown my MBP or PowerBook. Just close the lid. With OS-X, it's essentially instant wake. I even let it sleep on a 10 hour drive. Usually, the only time it's restarted is when an update/install requires it.

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

yea...just close the lid...however...a ever-so-often shut down can't hurt(like every week or something)

4. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Is it still an issue with leaving the (any) notebook plugged in most of the time? I thought that if you left it plugged in, once the battery drained to 80% or so it would recharge it. This isn't the memory effect, but just another tick in the charge cycle. Or, does this even matter?

Back to your question, ditto on everyone else. Just put it to sleep (close the lid). Much faster than booting and it doesn't drain much power.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It won't hurt the battery to leave it plugged in. Just do a calibration cycle every month or so. There isn't any memory effect (like NiCads) with LiIon.