Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Just got a 2nd hand MBP, moving from Windows.

All connected to my docking station and displaying fine on external monitor. But how the heck do I turn off the laptop monitor?? I see I can close the lid, but was worried about it overheating if I do that?

Cheers,

Greg

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Just got a 2nd hand MBP, moving from Windows.

All connected to my docking station and displaying fine on external monitor. But how the heck do I turn off the laptop monitor?? I see I can close the lid, but was worried about it overheating if I do that?

Cheers,

Greg

Close the lid.

Reactions: me55

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
Try the open clamshell mode -- lid open but built-in display turned off.

Reactions: me55

paulan55

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2021
For 2019 13" mbp, you need 2 magnets, 1 each on the left and right sides of the body(can be either on the speaker or the sides of the body) , near the usb-c ports closer to the user.

To find the right spot, run the magnet on both sides of the display and find the spots where the magnet sticks on the sides of the display(on mine, the left side is slightly higher than the right). With the magnets attached, close the lid until the magnet is near the body, and mark/transfer the spots to the body. Open the lid, pull the magnets from the display, and position the magnets on the body and voila, the display turns off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.