Turntable Recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by toddsimon, Mar 30, 2016.

1. toddsimon macrumors member

toddsimon

I have a Crosley currently which is pure junk if you ask me. I'm looking for something better with some powered speakers. I've been considering the U-Turn orbit. Does anyone have any experience with this is or can you recommend another model. Also I need a nice pair of powered speakers. I don't have the space for an receiver/amp.

Thanks!

2. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I know some of my vinyl friends like the Audio Technica 120 or an AT 60 for a budget, but still very solid option. I seriously was thinking of picking up a 60 (in red :D ), just to access some of my records that have been in storage.

Maybe some Audio Engines for powered speakers, A2s, there are some small pre/amp combos too that give you some additional flexibility with the speaker selection.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You into clay pottery? :p

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'd suggest not one, but two turntables and a microphone.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is where it's at.

6. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

7. toddsimon thread starter macrumors member

toddsimon

any word on pricing?

8. JackieInCo, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

JackieInCo macrumors 601

I will be getting one. I still have a Technics SLQ350.

P.S. The best sounding LP of anything I have in my collection was Moving Pictures by Rush. I could turn that thing up so loud and have it sound like the band was right here in my room. The drums were just so freakin hard hitting and solid and everything just so crisp. CDs couldn't capture that sound and I can't even describe it. Just amazing sound on that album.

9. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

If you can find the Technics SL1200-mk2 on ebay or Amazon, they are a jewel of a turntable.

10. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

The U-Turn Orbit has a pretty good reputation for a low-end player, as do the Audio Technica LP120 units. The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and Rega RP-1 are also very nice introductory tables.

The relaunched Technics is going to be very expensive.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/29/technics-explains-sl-1200-turntable-price/

In that price range, there are a lot of other excellent options.

I prefer a traditional integrated amplifier and speakers, but that's just me. And yes, there are some entry level amps that are very compact compared to traditional stereo components.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're not a hardcore vinyl fan, I would stick with Pro-Ject or Rega. The tables itself are solid and allows you the ability to swap out the cartridge to something a bit better if you decide to upgrade without breaking the bank.

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have the 120 and have had absolutely zero issues with. Solid unit and to me has performed flawlessly. I have been listening to all of my old records and loving it!!!!

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The Audio-Technica LP60 & LP120, in my opinion, are budget beasts - solid table if you just want to listen to vinyl you have laying around.

14. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I thought I read somewhere that it was going to be 500$ not sure though

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I just found out that this turntable already went on sale and sold out in 30 minutes. It was something like $3,300. I would have bought one instantly if I had been aware of the sale date.

16. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

3000$ just for the table?? you have to be kidding

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

They sold out in 30 minutes.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

I have 2 x 1210..... They're great.

19. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Just wondering if the OP ever scored a new turntable?

Since I originally posted in this thread, my desire to hear some albums on vinyl has really grown. Several I already own, umm, they're stored somewhere plus we have a few excellent sources of vinyl here locally for new purchases.

Thinking about my recommendation from above, the Audio-Technica LP60 (with a built-in pre-amp), maybe a U-Turn Orbit, matched up with some Audio Engine A2+, or maybe AE P4s or Polks RT1s with a mini tube amp (go really ol' school).

To be continued ..

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The Audio-Technica LP60 and LP120 are solid turntables and one I would suggest for those wanting to get into vinyl and/or are on a very tight budget but my recommendation for a beginner turntable will always be a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. It's about double the price of the Audio Technica tables but it allows a bit of flexibility/upgradability with regards to the cartridge (although the Ortofon OM 10 and 2M Red are still solid out of box cartridges).

21. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Thanks! I think I've set my mind on a little more turntable after some additional research.

It's funny, years ago I was into really boutique audio gear - Adcom, Paradigm, Definitive, NAD, exotically priced cabling/interconnect ... then I kind of flipped over to more mainstream AV gear, and now years later, I'd wish I still had my old school stuff, but I don't want to get into that price range again - that being said, I'm not going to worry about spending another 200-300 for a much better experience :)

Feel free to shoot me any other suggestions, I'm a out of the loop. Also looking at the U-Turn Orbits (love how they look, and that's an important factor for my overall enjoyment)

22. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

U-Turn tables are another good option for a starter/intro table and is what many choose if they decide not to go with a Pro-Ject for whatever reason since the design is similar. From what I've read from your posts, seems like you're content with just having a table to listen to the vinyl laying around so an Audio-Technica or U-Turn table is likely your best bet without having to spend a lot of money.

23. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Well, kind of, I mean, I'm not going to drop $2K on a setup for my office (that's 30 feet from our main downstairs AV system), however, I have a decently critical ear, and like many products, there seems to be some great break points where spending a little more gets you notable gains.

Loving what I'm reading about this, especially with the optional cue control:

[​IMG]

24. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's why I prefer the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I think the tonearm and cartridge (Ortofon 2M red) on the Pro-Ject is worth the price difference over the U-Turn with the Grado cartridge.

25. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Hey man, thanks for the continued discussion!

I found a [authorized] source for the U-turn with the optional cue arm and a Ortofon OM5E vs. the standard Grado cartridge for around $330 delivered. I guess that's still pushing the Pro-ject DC price.

I realized I actually have a nice working Yamaha natural sound receiver with phono inputs, so that would make a nice amp without need for a preamp. It was a solid piece of mid-range gear years ago.