Turok ? Did you try the demo ? Buy the game ?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Jan 30, 2008.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So having played the demo on both the 360 & PS3 (both pretty much identical) it looks like they certainly have improved the turok franchise, but I still don't think I'll purchase.

Much like the DMC4 demo, I get the distinct feeling that about as much of the demo is is all you need before it would get boring, although at least it does have multiplayer online....

Anyone else downloaded it and what do you think ?

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

How can you compare Turok to DMC4? Saying the Turok demo sucks is giving it a compliment, then again the Turok series has taken a dive from its beginnings. Games like Turok are ruining the FPS genre imo.

DMC4 plays similar to the way the series has always played which I enjoyed since I didnt have to re learn new things, the graphics were a great upgrade, the action seems as intense as any other DMC title.

You really need to take off the negativity glasses when you play games Mate :p ;) :D

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I've always kinda liked it. But I always waited to buy one used or closeout for cheap.

I'll wait and get a used copy for $20.

Download the demo I guess for now.

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I already stated in another thread that DMC looked lovely, but it just didn't feel any different to any of the others and to be honest I finished the first game, got bored half way through with DMC2, got even lesser into DMC3 other than first levels/chapter.....

Its the same reason never really got into Ninja Gaiden Sigma.. its just the same old thing over and over and over again.

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I played the Turok demo and had fun with it. I love any game with dinosaurs in it, though. However, I'm not likely to buy the game...or will get it when it drops to a bargain price. I find that I'm playing less and less FPS's, nowadays.

The original Turok was brilliant and ground breaking. Turok 2 was also a great game and I loved it...."Cerebral Bore" - Best weapon ever! But the Turok franchise went downhill after that. I bought the Gamecube one and barely touched it. I just couldn't get into it.

Anyway, the PS3 demo of Turok is fun!

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

PS3 Turok Demo and 360 Turok Demo

There are a few differences but as this is only the demo lets not make any big deal out of it, but it does affect the gameplay in the demo.

The 360 version is a lot easier than the PS3 version. Maybe one is set to easy and the other hard? Either way at times the PS3 version falls into frustration, whilst the 360's did not.

Also the controls felt a little more responsive on the 360 controller, pressing R-Trigger when you had the knife took out a dinosaur or soldier fairly swiftly, whilst the PS3 version often felt more to do with luck than timing.

This could of course be down to difficulty again and therefore hard to tell if will be any different in final version.

Now more controversially. Whilst both look good, again the 360 version does have better Anti-Aliasing and Textures. It is noticeable both in the cave and outside. Tree and ground textures are much more crisp and defined.

Again there could be a simple explanation for this too in the fact that the 360 demo can run at 1080i and whether native or not, 1080p.

The PS3 demo is locked at 720p.

Now whether the final version has the scaler we will wait and see, but if someone was to ask me honestly which version would you buy if you could have either....

From the demo I would certainly have to give it to the 360.

-----

Oh and the demo on both systems is at least better than Turning Point Fall of Liberty demo (that sucks ;) )

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^^ Thanks for the review - will download the 360 version...

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Remove 720p from your list of supported video settings and the game will play in the same mode as the 360 version.

The PS3 plays the game in native format first unless the game has a switch set from the SDK telling it which format to run in if available.

Ed

10. luftwaffles08 macrumors newbie

I played it through, and didn't really come out of it terribly impressed. I mean the textures of the forest were nice and lush as I expected, but the actual FPS just seemed very generic.

The knife kills on the dinosaurs and guards reminded me a lot of the counterkills of Assassin's Creed and the escape button mashing seemed like a rehash of Resident Evil.

I don't know. Do I like killing dinosaurs? Yes. Could I justify a sixty dollar purchase on doing so in an otherwise generic fps? No.

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yeah that's the same impression I got. It looks good but..... it does feel very generic. However download the Turning Point Fall of Liberty market place demo and that feels even more generic...

If i needed (does anyone need) another FPS and had the rest.... then from the forthcoming ones I probably would pick up Turok over others..

Thankfully I believe it's being released for UK 29.99 instead of the regular 39.99 over here.

----

Ed... i'm not silly I tried disabling 720p and had 1080p selected. But the demo dropped down to 480p for me, therefore I assume the demo didn't have the scaler support. I did say this may not be the case with the final version though :) same with the small graphical differences.

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Looks like IGN confirm the differences in graphics that I saw on the demo - in the final game

From the PS3 review

Seems I was right to spot the difference, wrong to assume they'd fix it for the final release.

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It's Turok, who cares :p

There are 360 games that look worse than their PS3 counterparts too, it goes both ways. But bottom line for this one is that its a game that no one cared about anyhow :p

14. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Poor Turok. How do we miss the Iguana days..... :(

15. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah but no but yeah but.... :p;)

[​IMG]

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

So I bought this today on the 360 along with DMC4 on the PS3 (yes I have too much money and no life)....

I'm enjoying it so far, certainly the best Turok since Seeds of Evil on the N64, and a damn site better than the last Turok on the Ps2, Xbox.

Multiplayer is a hoot (which I shouldn't be able to play as I haven't paid for my live subscription but somehow still can ? )

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You now have no right in making fun of me and how I enjoyed playing a certain game with a spikey blue haired hedgehog! :p

Ed

18. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL!! So true.....

I know sometimes all our taste levels become questionable :D

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I got it...it was free and how can I refuse that. I haven't played it as yet but I'll check it out later on tonight.

Bless

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I just downloaded the 360 demo. Thought it might be good, but the Demo did nothing for me and I like shooters and I loved the original Turok on Nintendo64 (was it?).

21. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

and yeah it was on the 64, with the awful controls.

Attached Files:

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Turok 1 you mean? I played 2 on the 64 and it was sublime (for its time). Never beat the damn thing though.

23. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

*looks around*

Oh, a thread resurrection...

*walks out*

Bless

25. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

The original Turok was a great game...a lot of fun. It controlled with the C buttons, right? The analog stick was used for aiming?

Turok 2 was the best of the franchise, though. So much fun and mind-blowing graphics (obviously for the time). The cerebral bore...one of the best weapons in any game, ever.

I sort of enjoyed the Turok PS3 demo. Not enough to get me to buy it, though. I miss the Iguana days. ...and Acclaim, for that matter.