TV networks superimposed ads - NON-STOP - how do they have the gall?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iphonepiephone, Jun 30, 2011.

1. iphonepiephone macrumors regular

What a way to ruin a film... I'm watching "Catch me if you Can", and ALL THROUGHOUT, there are annoying, distracting banners and swirling flames... and then a woman, RIGHT IN YOUR FACE, shown here:

This is sad, and pathetic. Speaks everything of this hurried "what's next?! what's next?!" world we live in, where EVERYTHING has to be a distraction from what is currently happening, to remind us what to do next. Why can't we just be left alone to enjoy the content? Separate ad breaks would be excusable, but THIS crap? It isn't even subtle!

:mad:

Attached Files:

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They will try anything on for size.

It behoves the rational among us to avoid these programs at all costs.

3. samiwas Suspended

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about television currently. They can't just advertise during commercial breaks, it's during shows. And I've seen some like this that even have audio, WHILE you are watching a show. The worst I've ever seen was when, right in the middle of a scene, the video pauses, and some character for an upcoming show walks out and announces their show, then walks off, and then the show un-pauses and goes on.

It used to not bother me as much when they were just little blips at the bottom of the screen, but now you have some (like the one you posted) that take up almost a quarter of the screen.

But, it falls into the category of one of my top general pet peeves - consistent advertising everywhere. It's all about the money...the commercial breaks apparently don't bring in enough to satisfy the shareholders, so they can make even more money by advertising during shows. It's as annoying to me as having "The Budweiser Halftime Show" or "The Skittles Penalty Clock"...advertising everywhere. Before you know it, you'll be living on Burger King Boulevard or Adidas Avenue.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, almost everyone in N.A. has a billboard in their living room, that they paid for.

But not me. Over 3 years clear of commercial TV. :cool:

5. iphonepiephone thread starter macrumors regular

I live in the UK, and barely watch ANY terrestrial TV *at all*. This was American content, but oh my - I see what Americans have to endure.

This is why I stream *all* my content from sources that *remove* ads :)

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What I hate most about sports is crap like "This home run brought to you by Budweiser" or "58 seconds left on the McDonalds powerplay"

Budweiser is not responsible for the home run. McDonalds is not responsible for the power play. Companies are not responsible for what happens in a game, so stop with that crap. Sticking their name on a pre-game or half-time show doesn't bother me as much. Someone has to pay for that. But for unpredictable events that happen in a game, it's just too much.

What's next? "This concussion brought to you by Aetna. Next time you get knocked to the ice and suffer a concussion, you're screwed if you don't have Aetna!"

7. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Almost as good as paying $11 to see a first run movie preceded by 20 minutes of commercials followed by 15 minutes of previews. We need to push back.

8. samiwas Suspended

Yes! Or buying a DVD that makes you sit through commercials and previews before you can watch (some don't allow skipping). You PAID for the DVD...you should not be subjected to advertising every time you put it in.

9. G4er? macrumors 6502a

And then they wonder why television viewer ship is down. Why some people don't go to the movies. Why some of us don't even rent or buy movies.
    I know what channel I'm on. Get your stupid logo off the screen. I don't care what is coming on next, or tomorrow or this weekend. I care about what I am watching now.

Technology is great but I find that I am happiest, calmest, under the least stress when I am totally away from all of it. Doing yardwork and gardening is a great way for me to wind down and disconnect from it all.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Maybe we should revisit the ban against subliminal ads?

If they take all the audio/visual crap out of the program material.

And take the ads off the hockey boards too, please. A sad day for NHL greed.

11. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Those TV Popups drive me completely and utterly nuts!!! Guess they got the brilliant idea from the Net. Wish some Genius would invent Popup Blockers as a TV App! What bothers me, is that so often, they take up such a huge portion of the screen, often interfering with a scene at just the WRONG moment!:mad: I find that ABC is one of the biggest culprits of this ridiculous trend.

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It's already happened. I know a guy who lives on Adidas Avenue in Bakersfield, CA.:eek:

I agree about those annoying ad the Op is talking about. From my experience, they happen mainly during prime time. Prime time is family time for me, so no TV.:cool:
    I saw one of those pop ups while watching NCIS (TiVo'd). It was during a gun battle between the good guys and the goon of the week. I was hoping a stray bullet from Gibbs or Ziva would hit LL Cool J (NCIS LA coming up next:mad:) as he walked on screen.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am with you. I hate when they do crap like that. I can stand it right at the end of an ads but even then it annoys me because it often times the it is right at one of those climax moments when ads happen.

14. samiwas Suspended

Hmmmm...you'd almost think it was by design....

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Years ago, I was at a Chinese Mall and at the food court I saw Chinese Satellite TV and that channel had *I think* ads scrolling across the bottom constantly and on top of that ads on the sides... :eek:

I said one day, US television will be the same.

The ads across the bottom are now normal.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"This fatal bullet is brought to you by Winchester, the choice of shooters everywhere." ;)

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Maybe not, but unless you paid to go to the game and watch it in person, they are responsible for paying to get it transmitted to your home. They're paying for the advertising that makes the broadcasting possible; this is nothing new. I'd also argue that it's the logical consequence of technology that allows us to skip regular commercials.[/QUOTE]

Our DVD player has an autoplay feature; when a disc is inserted, it goes right to the beginning of the film and starts playing. I think the brand is Sanyo. It's not Blu-Ray, though, I'm still looking for one with a similar feature.

18. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

We just watched a Bluray with about 10 mins of unskippable front matter. I wanted to scream.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

TV ads there do not bother me but having that little pop up right after wards does because it has often times covered up something key.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sure it was unskippable? They usually block either the menu or fast-forward/next chapter buttons, but not both. I've yet to have a Blu-ray with unskippable ads.

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It is worse when their ads make sound ON TOP OF THE SHOW!

Also back to the sports game comments, how the hell does a McDonald's power play all of a sudden make me want to get McDonald's? It doesn't do anything to the brand in my opinion other than kill it.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I hate them too.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Seven years for me last April. By 2004 I couldn't take the ever louder, ever more frequent commercials any more, or the so much trash content. I had access to 78 channels, of which I might watch something off one of the 11 channels I didn't filter out. Did the math, cancelled the cable sub, left it behind, no regrets. I buy shows from iTunes sometimes. Netflix and iTunes for movies, that's it.

I'm posting this mostly in awe because I never heard of the proliferation of popup ads until I bumped into this thread. I think while I still had TV they all were using those bug logos and a few were putting very small (but irritating) "next up" things near the end of programs. I would have thrown a brick into TV screen over more and bigger popup ads, probably. These guys seem to be going in the wrong direction if they want to retain viewers. There was a time I would have gone for a la carte cable, pick your own channels, build your own tiers, etc. But they wouldn't offer it, and now I see how little I miss television anyway, so it's too late for that. I'm not a potential customer any more. I read more books now... from iBooks and from Kindle Store as well. And my gardens are starting to look better, too :)

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The cash cow is going dry, and now they are milking the goats. ;)

25. iphonepiephone thread starter macrumors regular

l.o.l.!!