TV Size?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Acerone, May 24, 2018.

1. Acerone macrumors regular

Acerone

What size TV do you have now and what would be your ideal size

65" now
    77" next...

2. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I think the same for me. Maybe 65".

But I kinda want a 110", too. :)

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Now 42"
    Next the biggest size that is on sale...:p

5. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I have a 55 inch Panasonic in my den which is 25' x 25' and my seating is about 12 ft away..

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

This will probably vary greatly depending on location. On average, the living room/family room in the US, Canada, and Australia is about the size of the whole living space of a home in some parts of the world.

As for me, my current main TV is 51", my next one might be 55" or 60" max.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

43"

If I were in the market, I probably be looking at something like a 55"

8. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

That is what I will probably end up getting.

A 60" would be perfect for my set up, but I have noticed less and less 60" options over the past few years.

Plenty of 55" and 65" though.

9. Dave Meadows macrumors 68040

Dave Meadows

Just gone from a 55 to a 65 and that’ll do me (for now )

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

My roommates and I have a 49" TV in our living room. It seems big, but it's not a very big room. At home we have a 65" TV in the family room, but it's a large cavernous room. I don't know that I would demand anything bigger than 49", though.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

40 inch. My next TV? 40 inch.
    Why? Because that's the size of the recess I built above the fire place.

12. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Currently 42", but later in the year a new one is in the cards. I think I could squeeze a 55" in the same spot, so that's what I'll probably go with.

And since we're on the subject, what really annoys me is that there really aren't any "normal" TV's on the market anymore. They all come with a plethora of (to me) useless "smart" features, internet connections and who knows what else, and on top of it all none of them swivel! My current TV swivels, and it's a great feature. Then again, with the amount the technology has gone forward since the days I got my current TV, they probably aren't that fussy with viewing angles anymore.

End rant.

13. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

I hate small tvs will all my heart. I want a 100"+, but currently my bud-get doesn't allow it.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Currently have 55". Next one will be 65-70" There used to be a rule of thumb that for a 60" you needed a minimum of 10' away because it was hard on your eyes if you sat any closer. But my understanding now is that you can sit closer because the resolution is higher, or something like that. I'm shocked at how much big tv prices have fallen in the last year or two.

15. Zenithal macrumors 604

Always thought that was about CRT televisions. At least that's what I remember being told. I know there's a distance limit or minimum for 4K. Yeah, TV prices have dropped like a rock. You can get a pretty damn good 4K TV now for about 1100-1300 compared to nearly 5000 just a few years ago.

16. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I am at 55". I might prefer an ultra short throw laser projector onto a wall at 80"+ next or just a 65" TV.

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I think I have a 5" or 7" portable color TV upstairs somewhere LOL. Used it once in awhile in NYC after my 19" B&W Zenith I used on cable finally died, but never should have bothered bringing the portable up here so of course it's in a closet somewhere. Networks' signals were bad enough in the city that I usually saw the shadows of tall buildings in addition to the programming. Up here? Nada.

Other than that it's a 10.5" iPad Pro or a 13" laptop for me at this point. Keepin' it simple.

18. JackieInCo Suspended

I have three Samsung 49" TVs the I bought in March. They were the biggest size that I could fit into the backset of my car but that didn't have anything to do with my decision. I think the size is just perfect.

Previously, I had a 42" that I shattered the screen on after about a year so I was reduced to using a 32" screen because I didn't want to buy a new TV then.

19. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

40 inch. Plenty big. Can see it from across the room at 40 feet very well.

It’s slightly larger than what I would prefer. But it was free. So... yeah... not complaining.

I prefer the tv to be the least focused on detail of my home.

My other tv is a 27-inch. It serves the space just right. But I moved it to another room when the free 40-inch showed up.

The other rooms are smaller. Hopefully no more tv’s will show up. If I get another one, then I’m going to have to start putting them in bathrooms.

I’ve already go them in 3 bedrooms, and 2 living rooms. I think that’s enough.

So....

(1) 40-inch
    (2) 27-inch
    (1) 19-inch
    (1) 13-inch

All perfect size for the rooms they’re in.

The most I’ve ever spent on a television in my life... $600. When Digital was new.

The second most I’ve ever spent on a brand new television... $89

And they’ve all been great televisions. The 40-inch that I have now is the only freebie in the list above.

The most I would ever consider spending on a new television now... $200.

And that’s not even on my radar at the moment, unless one of the ones I have dies, and there’s a sudden lack of used good televisions available at cheap prices.

I really can’t think of a feature that would cause me to want to upgrade at the moment. The only thing a 4K movie could really noticeably change for my usage would be that the streaming would require me to get faster switches on my network. And then I’d have to pay for faster internet too. And by the time I’m done paying for that, I’m up to $400 a month for Internet (expensive here - $100 a month isn’t even good enough for streaming 720p, and I’d hit my data limit fast at 720p). And it’s just not worth that.

I do most of my viewing from my local collection of movies. And 720p streams pretty fast at 100 Mbps.

1080p has to cache. Then it’s fine.

4K... I’d have to up my switches to gigabit. And I just don’t see 4K being important enough. I’m not buying media anymore to convert. And I’m certainly not paying the bandwidth to get 4K downloaded in reasonable times or the data limit increase.

20. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

42" Plasma
    55" LCD 4K

The 42" was our first flatscreen and we've had it for several years. We recently moved and I replaced the CRT in our bedroom with the Plasma when we bought the new 55" LCD for the front room.

My wife thinks 55" is plenty (actually she thinks it's way over the top) but my plan has always been to replace with a larger TV over time.

If I had the money, I'd start at 120". But I don't, so it's a matter of waiting over time for prices to come down to replace with larger screens.

My wife is starting to slowly figure out that the next TV will always be larger than the last and she's struggling to accept that fact. Why I don't know. I always prefer a larger screen.

21. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

55 inch - pervious was 60 inch - but lower quality.

22. JagdTiger macrumors regular

JagdTiger

I don’t particularly watch television, it’s a Trojan horse and becoming more politically correct and unfamily friendly however, I do like rear projection systems, they are portable, produce a nice size screen (100 to 300 ft) and have a browser built in to be able to choose the programming one may want to view.

The more elaborate and expensive models can do CinemaScope with a special lens.

23. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I won't argue with that. However, I just want to say that politics and family television is not why I watch TV.

For me, it's mainly background noise. I'm a latchkey kid (Gen X) so I am used to the TV being on to fill the emptiness. But when I do devote my entire attention, it's for specific shows. And I have a number of those I watch to justify using TV.

I get my politics from Google News so I don't watch TV for that, although my wife does. I do watch my local morning news on weekends though because it's always fun to critique the relationship the anchors of that show have. They hate each other so it's fun to watch - especially when their own actions show them up as hypocrites. But it's also the only place to get local news with the focus that only locals who live here can provide. Someone could probably argue I'd get better and more indepth local news through the radio but I'm not a fan of talk radio.

My wife and I rarely share the same interest in shows so when that happens we watch together. But as a family it usually isn't happening. The things my daughter and I share my son has no interest in. And my kids do most of their video digestion through Youtube.

I'm not a big fan of binge watching because there is only so much I can take at a time. My DVR is stacked with a bunch of Doctor Who episodes I've been working through though.

So, my point here is that while what you say is most certainly true there are still plenty of options on TV that do not center around this.

I mean, the last two days the TV was on it was Stargate Atlantis, How it's Made, Bonanza, The Big Valley and Gunsmoke. Hardly, politically oriented - or at least overtly.